Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HVAC stuck on heat

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HVAC stuck on heat

I have a '10 Lariat with auto temp. The Mode is stuck on LOWER/DEFROST and will not change to VENT. Ive seen other posts that indicate you need to pull the dash to change the BLEND door but this ISNT the blend door. It's item #24 on the attached schematic
Attached Thumbnails HVAC stuck on heat-image.jpg  
Old 01-01-2015, 08:09 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Grandpastock
I have a '10 Lariat with auto temp. The Mode is stuck on LOWER/DEFROST and will not change to VENT. Ive seen other posts that indicate you need to pull the dash to change the BLEND door but this ISNT the blend door. It's item #24 on the attached schematic
Sounds like a blend door motor actuator issue. A few weeks ago my climate control blend door actuator crapped out and I was only getting cold air on the passenger side. I replaced the actuator (bought from RockAuto) and everything's back to normal.

Are you getting similar symptoms to what I said above, where on one side of your truck you can only get hot or cold air not both?

How did you land on knowing what part you need? And what's the name of that part?

If it's the passenger side actuator motor it's as simple as pulling out the passenger airbag and radio and you get easy access to 2 or 3 screws, drivers side does require your dash to be removed completely for repair.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:14 PM

When the actuators fail they usually fail to one side or the other, so if it died in winter my guess is the blend door is stuck to allow only heat, I was using ac so the door stuck to only allow cold air.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:24 PM

My local Ford dealer sold me the part and gave me the schematic but couldn't tell me how to get to it. It's actually stuck on LOWER/DEFROST, not Heat. The truck will switch from heat to cool etc fine but it just won't move to Vent. My dealer sold me 8L8Z19E616C just called motor asm
Old 01-01-2015, 08:40 PM

I looked at Tasca and 24 looks to be the same as 25. I had to replace part 25 when I had my issue. Yours is the blend actuator for the defrost function, same concept just moves the flapper one way or another.

From the schematic it doesn't look like it's too far from the part I changed, my fear though is I was bumping up against dash supports to get to part 25 and that was "easy." Part 24 might be higher up in the dash and behind some supports. Which means a hell of a lot more dash needs to come out to do it.

Have you had your dash apart yet so see if you can see the part? It might be worth pulling the airbag and stereo out and seeing how far you can reach in and if you can see the part.

If you do need to dive in deep into the dash, this video will help.

The following users liked this post:
Grandpastock (01-01-2015)
Old 01-01-2015, 08:46 PM

How did you get to "25"? What did you remove? The schematic seems flipped around and its towards the driver side, not the pass? Never mind. I just re read your post and you said pass airbag and radio. What about the top access?

Last edited by Grandpastock; 01-01-2015 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:04 PM

I followed this video in order to pull out my stereo and air bag: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1h_...0#action=share

Then the passenger blender door actuator was to the back right of the "stereo cavity." From the schematic, your part looks to be more towards the firewall and higher in the dash, so for you you may also want to pull put that top piece and see if you can get to your part from there.

Part 23, 24, and 25 all do the same thing they regulate between hot and cold ducts in your car using a little motor and a simple gear. Sometimes the gear strips more times the motor just dies. It's a weakness. 23 is the drivers side actuator and requires the dash be removed, 24 is the passenger side actuator and is, like i said above to the top righ of the stereo cavity.

I know this picture is for a 2007 but this is exactly where my part was in the dash.
The following users liked this post:
Grandpastock (01-01-2015)
Old 01-07-2015, 12:11 PM

Did you ever get a chance to dig into your dash and see if this part was replaceable?
Old 01-10-2015, 10:33 AM

It's been single digits here in Michigan si I'm fine with it only set on heat (floor) mode. I'm going to dig into it once it warms up a bit

Quick Reply: HVAC stuck on heat