Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How's Your Stock 2WD/4WD Traction in Snow???

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 10:19 PM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Default How's Your Stock 2WD/4WD Traction in Snow???

We had a pretty good 24-hour snowstorm that dropped a fresh 12 inches or so. Took off on some errands this afternoon on some roads and parking lots that had very little to no attention and was able to test both 2WD and 4WD.

What can I say about 4WD other than the traction was very good even on the crappy Goodyear Wrangler stock tires. That part was a little surprising. However, what surprised me most was the traction in 2WD. Sure, there was some slipping and whatnot. However, with a little feathering of the gas pedal, I was able to get on it without too much effort through 12-inches of snow on up to about an 8% grade. That has to be a testament to the drive train. Especially when considering a truck that is light as he!! in the rear end with rear wheel drive.

Have to admit I'm quite pleased, and even more so when compared to my '99 F150 4x4 Off-Road that was traded in; always had it in 4WD in similar conditions or it would just spin out.

This beast is going to be awesome when I get some real tires on her.
Old 12-23-2011, 03:02 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

That's good to hear!! We have yet to get any snow, but more GD rain than any ONE PLACE ON THIS PLANET deserves!! Currently, as I type this, MORE EFFIN RAIN LOL!!

I thought I moved north? Not to Seattle!!?? Still, glad to hear these FX4's get along in the snow well, that is why I traded my G8 GT and bout it for. Now I am waiting to test it/enjoy it LOL!!
Old 12-23-2011, 06:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cant wait for some snow where I am, for some reason this year its decided to go south!

I have tried the 4x4 on ice, and it works pretty good with the stock wrangler SA.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:58 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Often times, it's not traction in 12" of snow that's the trouble. Even the stock Goodyears have pretty good tread lugs that grab in the snow. Testing a tires worth can sometimes be when there is only 1/2" - 2" snow, with that greasy icy stuff underneath. IMO, you'll find there will be more wheel spin and sliding issues when the asphalt is cold and slick, not necessarily heavily covered. Even in 4wd, you must be cautious in those conditions. When it's very cold out, our stock tires become very hard, almost brittle, losing much of their pliability which usually assists us with our traction. That's the advantage of winter tires. By design, they stay much softer, and grab the slick stuff very well. My only concern with the stock tires was stopping ability. You can usually find a way to gain traction in most circumstances. 2wd or 4wd. But when you are required to stop, is often when you'll be puckering in your heated seats.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get snow tires!
Old 12-23-2011, 10:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BLU4TJW
Often times, it's not traction in 12" of snow that's the trouble. Even the stock Goodyears have pretty good tread lugs that grab in the snow. Testing a tires worth can sometimes be when there is only 1/2" - 2" snow, with that greasy icy stuff underneath. IMO, you'll find there will be more wheel spin and sliding issues when the asphalt is cold and slick, not necessarily heavily covered. Even in 4wd, you must be cautious in those conditions. When it's very cold out, our stock tires become very hard, almost brittle, losing much of their pliability which usually assists us with our traction. That's the advantage of winter tires. By design, they stay much softer, and grab the slick stuff very well. My only concern with the stock tires was stopping ability. You can usually find a way to gain traction in most circumstances. 2wd or 4wd. But when you are required to stop, is often when you'll be puckering in your heated seats.

Good post. Agreed. Although, many owners here may not experience the type of road ice you and I get to experience every winter.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:32 AM
Canadian Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The rear end of my truck started to float to the side yesterday as I accelerated on icy roads and the traction control stopped it without slowing me down or being too intrusive. Very impressed. Traction control has been awesome on my wife's 08 FWD escape so I have been really interested to see how well it will work on a 4x4...
Old 12-23-2011, 12:46 PM
PPPPPuppy Power

Received 887 Likes on 653 Posts

We got 97 inches here last year. My 2010 with stock goodyears handled great. No complaints. We have had only about 10 inches so far this year... and the scorpions on my 2011 are absolutely horrible.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:02 PM
FORD lifer

Received 246 Likes on 185 Posts

My stock Hancock tires perform better than I expected them to - I rarely use 4WD, although I switch off the traction control in 2WD on snow, because sometimes I expect tires to spin a little, and I don't appreciate the braking and flashing light
Old 12-23-2011, 02:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Scrappy Doo
We got 97 inches here last year. My 2010 with stock goodyears handled great. No complaints. We have had only about 10 inches so far this year... and the scorpions on my 2011 are absolutely horrible.
Ha! I wondered how the 2 different stock tires stacked up against each other. I guess your test case scenario is the definitive answer. As bad as the SRA wranglers are, I can only imagine how bad the scorpions are from your revelations here.

Quick Reply: How's Your Stock 2WD/4WD Traction in Snow???