How-To: Upgrade 4.2" Sync to 8" MFT - Page 48 - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How-To: Upgrade 4.2" Sync to 8" MFT

Reply

 
 
 
Old 01-12-2018, 12:12 AM
  #471  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Québec, Canada
Posts: 196
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Speez View Post

So question on the female side of the connector - how do you put the new mouser terminals in without smashing or bending them? The existing pins that I had to trim to remove the connector from the board in the donor APIM are long-ish on one side, but the other side is way short and no way it can be soldered. I discovered that the current terminal pins are just solid core wire essentially, so they pull in/out with pliers easy. What seems impossible is plugging new, crimped terminals into this connector to populate the pins. What's the trick here? Even without the wire crimped in, I could not push the new terminal into an empty pin hole (pulled a pin out). This was gripping the new terminal tight with needle nose and pushing pretty hard.

For those who have used the female connector side new crimped terminals, how did you get them in? Don't want to destroy all my terminals trying this.

Thanks


The way I did it, I removed the pins that wasn't needed and it worked flawlessly
Marsju is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:53 PM
  #472  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Non dual climate radio bezel 8” opening

I’m looking for a Non dual climate radio bezel 8” opening for 2013 F150 XLT any luck finding one?
readyfertrouble22 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:15 AM
  #473  
Is it Friday Yet?
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 2,487
Thanked 359 Times in 306 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by readyfertrouble22
I’m looking for a Non dual climate radio bezel 8” opening for 2013 F150 XLT any luck finding one?
I've been looking on eBay, junkyards, Craigslist and Facebook marketplace for about a year now to no avail.

Those only existed on 2014 Tremor trucks and Ford only made a little under 800 of them!

Extremely hard to find.
soaringfalcon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:46 AM
  #474  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Well that sucks I heard you can use the dual climate bezel but won’t function and would look silly if it don’t work
readyfertrouble22 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:28 AM
  #475  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by soaringfalcon View Post
I've been looking on eBay, junkyards, Craigslist and Facebook marketplace for about a year now to no avail.

Those only existed on 2014 Tremor trucks and Ford only made a little under 800 of them!

Extremely hard to find.
that sucks I know 4d tech has em but they won’t sell just the bezel
readyfertrouble22 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:58 AM
  #476  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Québec, Canada
Posts: 196
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by readyfertrouble22 View Post
Well that sucks I heard you can use the dual climate bezel but won’t function and would look silly if it don’t work
My niece was with me and she told me it was cold on the passenger, I told her to rise the temperature on her side and she didn’t take long to tell me that she was ok.
I have dual bezel, couldn’t find one like theTremor , It’s all about faith, most likely you will be the only one to know.
I know it suck but that's the way it is

Last edited by Marsju; 01-13-2018 at 03:01 AM.
Marsju is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 12:23 PM
  #477  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 110
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Marsju View Post
The way I did it, I removed the pins that wasn't needed and it worked flawlessly
right but how did you connect the wires to the connector? Did you just solder straight to the existing pins? My problem is only one row of pins is even remotely long enough to think about soldering directly too. The other 2 rows I could not cut any longer. I have (what I have been told) are the mouser male pins that go into this connector, but so far I cannot get them in.

Another option would be to get some more of this factory "pin" material, cut a bunch to length, and then solder to those, but I don't see that happening.
Speez is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 06:56 PM
  #478  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 110
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by cajunsteve7 View Post
I used those. Just make sure they are completely seated. No need to cut or grind them.
What year and model was your female connector out of? Mine from a 12/13/14 focus APIM donor does not want to accept the male crimp terminals. Pushed hard enough to bend and break the terminal on a test but it wouldnt go in.
Speez is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 03:10 AM
  #479  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Québec, Canada
Posts: 196
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Speez View Post
right but how did you connect the wires to the connector? Did you just solder straight to the existing pins? My problem is only one row of pins is even remotely long enough to think about soldering directly too. The other 2 rows I could not cut any longer. I have (what I have been told) are the mouser male pins that go into this connector, but so far I cannot get them in.

Another option would be to get some more of this factory "pin" material, cut a bunch to length, and then solder to those, but I don't see that happening.
First what I did, I cut all the remaining pins to same length, from there I just solder straight to the existing pins and after that, I took some very small shirks to cover each pins to avoid shorts and dampness

Last edited by Marsju; 01-16-2018 at 03:15 AM.
Marsju is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:34 PM
  #480  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Does anyone have a sync 2 harness for sale? I wanna upgrade my 4 once to get the 8” sync 2
readyfertrouble22 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How-To: Upgrade 4.2" Sync to 8" MFT


Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: