Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to run cable from the hitch into the cab

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to run cable from the hitch into the cab

I am a new truck owner and I bought an aftermarket back up camera. I need to run the wire from the 7 pin connector along the frame and then into the cab. I have a 2013 F150 XL. If anyone has any pictures or advice on the best way to do this I would really appreciate it!
Old 05-29-2014, 01:09 PM

Received 143 Likes on 116 Posts

I have the 2011 XLT Screw. My wife gave me an aftermarket backup camera a month ago, and I have not seen a good install guide for running the wires into the cab. So I am with you Cmmccar, if anyone could push us in the right direction it would be appreciated.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:18 PM

Received 233 Likes on 158 Posts

I've read where some have run their wiring through a rubber seal on the drivers side where the factory harness goes through.

I ran mine on the passenger side, small rubber plug in the firewall. I had multiple wires and it was a PIA. As soon as you enter through the firewall, it hits the back of the heater blower box?

I cut a hanger and snaked it with a string and guided it towards the passenger fuse box behind the kick panel.
The following users liked this post:
EcoBoostJake (05-29-2014)
Old 05-29-2014, 01:22 PM
Just Another Member

Received 187 Likes on 127 Posts

It's not a back-up cam, but I did a write-up on auxiliary reverse light that includes running wires into the cab from the back of the bed.

Check it out, maybe it'll be of some help:

https://www.f150forum.com/f75/how-ri...-heavy-230900/

Short version: wrapped the wire in split-loom, the fed it through the frame rails as far as the back of the cab, then inside through the grommet, all sealed up and waterproof.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:24 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I added two 14 gauge wire through the factory rubber seal where the factory wire loom goes in on the drivers side of the firewall. I just gently pushed a 12" piece of coat hanger through the opening. I then attached the wires with tape and pulled them through. I was not hard at all.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:29 PM

Received 143 Likes on 116 Posts

Thank you for the quick tips, and details walkthrough on the wiring process. I think that helps greatly, also makes me want to put in added reverse lights while I am running wire.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:02 PM

Received 233 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Theocoog
It's not a back-up cam, but I did a write-up on auxiliary reverse light that includes running wires into the cab from the back of the bed.

Check it out, maybe it'll be of some help:

https://www.f150forum.com/f75/how-ri...-heavy-230900/

Short version: wrapped the wire in split-loom, the fed it through the frame rails as far as the back of the cab, then inside through the grommet, all sealed up and waterproof.
I have a 2013 FX4 SuperCrew and I could not find that rubber grommet under the rear door scuff / kick sill on either side that you show in your thread.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:04 PM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts

Originally Posted by EcoBoostJake
Thank you for the quick tips, and details walkthrough on the wiring process. I think that helps greatly, also makes me want to put in added reverse lights while I am running wire.
If you pull up on the plastic sill that is on top of the rocker, it is just held on by a few clips, you will see your wire loom in a tray. Go to the back of the tray and look under the loom, this is towards the back of the cab and you will see a rubber grommet, I just cut an x into it and ran my video thought there, better than going into engine bay.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:16 PM
Weekend Warrior!

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by RES4CUE
If you pull up on the plastic sill that is on top of the rocker, it is just held on by a few clips, you will see your wire loom in a tray. Go to the back of the tray and look under the loom, this is towards the back of the cab and you will see a rubber grommet, I just cut an x into it and ran my video thought there, better than going into engine bay.
^^What he said^^ I did the same thing. I used the sharp prong/point of a 12v electrical tester to poke a hole through that rubber grommet to run my wires through it. Perfect spot as you can continue to run your wires under that sill all the way to the front, then behind all the other plastic trim & then the dash. All well hidden!

Quick Reply: How to run cable from the hitch into the cab