Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to install new tow mirrors??? 2011 F-150

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to install new tow mirrors??? 2011 F-150

I know this is probably well covered in the forum, but I tried searching until my eyes hurt.

I bought a set of great aftermarket mirrors. They are all electic and fit the 2011 F-150.

My question is: How do I remove the OEM mirrors and install the new ones? In other words, how the heck do I open up the interior door panel to get the swap done.?

The DYI places I know are not up to 2011/12 yet.

Can you help?

Mike
Old 04-05-2012, 11:14 PM

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/2011-d...removal-88932/

Scroll down to the video by Grapple_ace - it's the instructions that I followed.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:30 PM
09xltd

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

2 screws at bottom of door panel one in the handle to pull door closed lift little tab, then the one that's hard to find is behind the actual door handle to open door take flat head pop out the black tab remove screw. This will let you pop door panel off very simple
Old 04-06-2012, 12:35 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks guys, you were both a big help. Looks like a relatively easy removal.

Another question has come up, however. It appears that the mirrors I bought fold in electrically with a motor. They were folded in the box and no amount of pulling could unfold them so I am assuming they have a geared motor to open them.

My 2011 XLT does not have motorized folding mirrors. Is the truck wired for them anyway? Will I find the right wiring and plugs under the door to install them? Are they automatically powered to fold when you shut off the engine or do you have to have a special switch, which I do not have?
Old 04-06-2012, 01:07 PM

No power fold here - sorry, I can't help with that.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:11 PM
09xltd

me either but when i pluged them in blinkers worked and i didnt have blinkers, my tuck has no button for power mirrors might have to buy one? try pluging in and seeing what happens im not sure though sorry
Old 04-06-2012, 01:18 PM

"...try pluging in and seeing what happens..."
The puddle lights on my new tow mirrors work, I didn't expect them to.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:24 PM
09xltd

same puddle and blinkers gonna wire heat for winter
Old 04-06-2012, 01:26 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadKingMike
My 2011 XLT does not have motorized folding mirrors. Is the truck wired for them anyway? Will I find the right wiring and plugs under the door to install them?
Probably not.

Are they automatically powered to fold when you shut off the engine or do you have to have a special switch, which I do not have?
My 2012 Lariat had the powerfold mirrors before I replaced them with OEM XLT tow mirrors. Now the puddle lights, blinker lights, heated mirrors and power mirror adjusters all work just fine, but the power fold doesn't work because the new tow mirrors did not include the power fold function.

The wiring harness that plugs into the back of the mirror includes a wire for the power fold option. If you don't have power fold mirrors on the stock truck, then your wiring harness probably won't have that wire in the plug. There is also a different power mirror switch on the door. It not only has left and right power mirror adjustment, but also power fold function. Mine were not automagic - I had to manually move that button to fold the mirrors in or out.

Automotive electric is not my bag, but I'll bet you need to replace the wiring harness in the front doors with one from an F-150 that has power fold mirrors, and change out the power mirror control button with one for the power fold mirrors.

Until you can get the wiring harness and mirror control button replaced, here's your "make do" shade tree mechanic solution:

Find a 2011 or 2012 F-150 with power fold mirrors: King Ranch, Platinum, Harley Davidson, or a Lariat with the Lariat Plus pkg but without the max tow pkg. Use the uninstall procedures below to unplug the mirror wiring harness from the back of the mirror, and plug it into your mirror. No need to actually remove the mirrors from the borrowed truck. Use the control button on the door to unfold your power-fold mirrors. Then plug the wiring harness back into the powerfold mirrors on the borrowed truck. and replace the door panel.

The only trick to installing/uninstalling the power mirrors on a late-model F-150 is to look into the handhold on the armrest of the front door. Down inside that hole is an almost invisible small plastic snap-in cover. Remove that cover and then unscrew that screw that's hidden by that cover. Unscrew the other screws that hold on the door panel, then slide the door panel up until it clears the doorlock, then pull the top of it out enough to get to the three nuts and the plug-in wiring harness on the back of the mirror. After you remove those three nuts and unplug the wiring harness, you have to wiggle and jiggle the mirror assembly to get it to turn loose and come out. But it will come out so stay after it until you get it out.

Last edited by smokeywren; 04-06-2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:00 PM

[QUOTE=smokeywren;1597923]Probably not.

Automotive electric is not my bag, but I'll bet you need to replace the wiring harness in the front doors with one from an F-150 that has power fold mirrors, and change out the power mirror control button with one for the power fold mirrors.

QUOTE]

I hear ya and agree completely. My only hope is that maybe the wiring harness is there and all I have to change is the switch. That would be the easiest and cheapest.

I leave on a trip tomorrow and will be back mid-next week. As soon as I get back, I will pull one door panel and try a mirror. I will let you all know how I make out.

Quick Reply: How to install new tow mirrors??? 2011 F-150