Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.

How I made my truck less annoying

 
Old 03-04-2015, 06:07 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
kidastra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 3,360
Liked 573 Times in 465 Posts
Default How I made my truck less annoying

OK so based on another thread I decided my annoying backup sensor beeping had to go, between it snowing or using a small trailer with the 4 pin the truck would be constantly beeping at me, I know it's only 2 buttons to stop it but I wanted it gone whenever I started my truck.




So I tracked the beeping to this box under the driver side dash, right behind the foot brake pedal. its the box with the white sticker on it




1 harness and 2 10mm bolts the box was out this is the actual speaker held on by 2 clips and double sided tape




so I proceeded to open the box




I tried just removing the speaker, and retesting. the truck senses a fault and disables the entire sensor system but also throws an error message on the dash screen.




this is the underside of the circuit board




this is the top of the board with the speaker still attached (red and black wires)




notice the speaker is now unplugged, and the beige plug is where it used to be




flipping the board to the bottom again I soldered on a 1/2 watt 100 ohm resistor to the speaker plug terminals. I then reassembled the box and reinstalled it in my truck.




Success, the truck doesn't beep at me anymore, the colored proximity bars still work in my rearview camera, the volume of the radio still cuts when I am close to something, but no more beeping!
Worth noting, if you just unplug the harness no error message shows up, It's like the truck came with no sensors, but you also lose the colored proximity boxes in the camera


thanks to AricsFX for starting the other thread which got me motivated to find a solution that works for me.

Last edited by kidastra; 03-04-2015 at 06:10 PM.
kidastra is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by kidastra:
arokcrwlr (03-04-2015), Pat Healy (10-17-2018)
Old 03-04-2015, 11:41 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
arokcrwlr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: GA
Posts: 416
Liked 57 Times in 48 Posts
Default

That a great mod. Not sure I will do it, but thanks for figuring it out and posting. The beeping is annoying when the truck doesn't sense a connected trailer...
arokcrwlr is offline  
Old 03-04-2015, 11:42 PM
  #3  
Brodozin' through life
iTrader: (3)
 
AricsFX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Flower Mound, Texas
Posts: 5,968
Liked 792 Times in 603 Posts
Default

Dang!! Nice work!!!
AricsFX is offline  
The following users liked this post: AricsFX
kidastra (03-05-2015)
Old 03-04-2015, 11:51 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
TuxBlackFX4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 849
Liked 87 Times in 78 Posts
Default

Damn. Some of you guys can figure out anything. Respect.
TuxBlackFX4 is offline  
Old 03-05-2015, 06:16 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
kidastra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 3,360
Liked 573 Times in 465 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by arokcrwlr View Post
That a great mod. Not sure I will do it, but thanks for figuring it out and posting. The beeping is annoying when the truck doesn't sense a connected trailer...
lol yeah I had a love hate relationship with my sensors! I wish they would turn off whenever any trailer is plugged in
kidastra is offline  
Old 03-05-2015, 10:10 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
frieed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Utah
Posts: 401
Liked 89 Times in 56 Posts
Default

Nice write up


I think I'll start with putting tape over speaker. If it's quiet enough it won't bug me
frieed is offline  
Old 03-05-2015, 06:21 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
kidastra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 3,360
Liked 573 Times in 465 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by frieed View Post
Nice write up


I think I'll start with putting tape over speaker. If it's quiet enough it won't bug me
thanks, let me know if tape works!
kidastra is offline  
Old 03-05-2015, 07:05 PM
  #8  
Opinionated Blowhard
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 1,007
Liked 164 Times in 104 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by kidastra View Post
OK so based on another thread I decided my annoying backup sensor beeping had to go, between it snowing or using a small trailer with the 4 pin the truck would be constantly beeping at me, I know it's only 2 buttons to stop it but I wanted it gone whenever I started my truck. So I tracked the beeping to this box under the driver side dash, right behind the foot brake pedal. its the box with the white sticker on it 1 harness and 2 10mm bolts the box was out this is the actual speaker held on by 2 clips and double sided tape so I proceeded to open the box I tried just removing the speaker, and retesting. the truck senses a fault and disables the entire sensor system but also throws an error message on the dash screen. this is the underside of the circuit board this is the top of the board with the speaker still attached (red and black wires) notice the speaker is now unplugged, and the beige plug is where it used to be flipping the board to the bottom again I soldered on a 1/2 watt 100 ohm resistor to the speaker plug terminals. I then reassembled the box and reinstalled it in my truck. Success, the truck doesn't beep at me anymore, the colored proximity bars still work in my rearview camera, the volume of the radio still cuts when I am close to something, but no more beeping! Worth noting, if you just unplug the harness no error message shows up, It's like the truck came with no sensors, but you also lose the colored proximity boxes in the camera thanks to AricsFX for starting the other thread which got me motivated to find a solution that works for me.
Is there a way to install a switch. I like the beeper, but when towing or hooking up its a PITA to do the button dance.
Kenferg1 is offline  
Old 03-05-2015, 07:23 PM
  #9  
Fleet Technician
 
Rnlcomp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Big Easy
Posts: 22,640
Liked 4,509 Times in 3,531 Posts
Default

...
Rnlcomp is offline  
Old 03-05-2015, 07:24 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
kidastra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 3,360
Liked 573 Times in 465 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Kenferg1 View Post
Is there a way to install a switch. I like the beeper, but when towing or hooking up its a PITA to do the button dance.
yeah technically a switch is doable, if you only want it while trailering I would put the switch on the black speaker wire and live with the error when reversing. Would also serve as a reminder to turn the switch back on when you were done. You could also wire it to have no error message by having a switch that either connects the resistor while disconnecting the speaker and vice versa.

Last edited by kidastra; 03-05-2015 at 07:26 PM.
kidastra is offline  
The following users liked this post: kidastra
Kenferg1 (03-05-2015)

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How I made my truck less annoying


Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: