Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how helpful is the trailer brake controller?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 06:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default how helpful is the trailer brake controller?

Hello all. I have the perfect deal on the perfect truck EXCEPT..it doesn't have a trailer brake controller.

The only reason I'm even buying a truck is to tow my 18 foot, 3k pound boat.

Am I crazy to let this be my deal breaker? I've heard it's an awesome feature but I need a truck within the next 5 weeks so I can't order one from the factory...it's EXACTLY what I want in every other way so I'm kinda stuck.

Thanks in advance for opinions.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:34 AM

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts

I like mine. Have the Dealer do a search for you.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:36 AM

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

noob question here: How exactly does the Trailer Break work? My truck has it but Id be lost if I tried to use it.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brianford
Hello all. I have the perfect deal on the perfect truck EXCEPT..it doesn't have a trailer brake controller.

The only reason I'm even buying a truck is to tow my 18 foot, 3k pound boat.

Am I crazy to let this be my deal breaker? I've heard it's an awesome feature but I need a truck within the next 5 weeks so I can't order one from the factory...it's EXACTLY what I want in every other way so I'm kinda stuck.

Thanks in advance for opinions.
You can go with an aftermarket brake controller (cheaper) or add a OEM then go to dealership to have the computer program. That's what I did with my 09. I pull a 7500 lbs (dry) and it help me alot.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:50 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Your dealer should be able to install one for ~250$ in under 20 minutes as long as the truck has tow package/7 pin connector from the factory. I had one installed before I drove my truck off the lot.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks guys. I will look further into the mechanics of installing an aftermarket product. From what I understand the trailer brake controller is installed via factory and Ford won't do it at the dealership.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:16 AM

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Does your boat have electric brakes? If not, you won't need the trailer brake controller for your boat.

My boat has surge brakes and a 5-pin plug. It's basically a 4-pin with a reverse lockout pin added. I needed to buy an adapter to run it off the 7-way plug. Since I'm not controlling the trailer's brakes electrically, I don't ever use the trailer brake controller.

You can always add a factory one, as previously mentioned, if desired.

Post pix of the new rig when you get it!

Good luck,
-Matt

Last edited by Fatmattyd; 09-20-2012 at 07:16 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 09-20-2012, 07:21 AM

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Could have added: The trailer brake controller adjusts the gain on the electric brake output for your trailer brakes.

Essentially, as you step on the truck brakes, the truck sends a brake signal to the trailer. Ideally, the trailer brakes are actuating with similar braking force to the truck.

Too much trailer braking force and the trailer tires are apt to lock up (skid). Too little braking force and the truck is forced to stop more of the trailer weight (trailer feels heavy).

If you're going to tow a heavy trailer with electric brakes, you should do a few test stops to see how the trailer feels. Not enough braking, increase the gain. Too much braking, decrease the gain. If the trailer brakes need a quick shot, you use the lever.

Someone with more experience than I can comment on this... but that's how I understand it.

For a strictly surge-based system, you won't need the TBC. If they're electric, or electric of hydraulic, the TBC will be helpful.

-Matt
The following users liked this post:
Kutch98 (09-20-2012)
Old 09-20-2012, 07:25 AM

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Fatmattyd
Could have added: The trailer brake controller adjusts the gain on the electric brake output for your trailer brakes.

Essentially, as you step on the truck brakes, the truck sends a brake signal to the trailer. Ideally, the trailer brakes are actuating with similar braking force to the truck.

Too much trailer braking force and the trailer tires are apt to lock up (skid). Too little braking force and the truck is forced to stop more of the trailer weight (trailer feels heavy).

If you're going to tow a heavy trailer with electric brakes, you should do a few test stops to see how the trailer feels. Not enough braking, increase the gain. Too much braking, decrease the gain. If the trailer brakes need a quick shot, you use the lever.

Someone with more experience than I can comment on this... but that's how I understand it.

For a strictly surge-based system, you won't need the TBC. If they're electric, or electric of hydraulic, the TBC will be helpful.

-Matt

Thanks! I dont really tow a whole lot, its been a couple of years since I towed my Harley back home to Illinois (I would of ridden it but I dont think my 50lb dog would of been happy on the back). And Im sure Ill haul it again at some point or something else, Glad to know how it works now!
Old 09-20-2012, 07:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The trailer brake controller only works with electric brakes plugged into the round 7 pin plug. A 3k lb boat will have at most surge brakes. The controller does nothing for surge brakes. If you find later on you need the controller you can always add it, they are all over ebay for around $120. I would not let a good deal slip away over such a minor item that can easily be added.

Quick Reply: how helpful is the trailer brake controller?