Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How "good" would a RCSB be off road?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 03:36 PM

Received 217 Likes on 125 Posts

Default How "good" would a RCSB be off road?

So sometime in the next year i'm probably going to be picking up a "toy" if you will that is primarily going to be a weekend wheeler. I really want to stick with an f150, but i just don't know if it will be good enough? I was thinking RCSB 4x4 with 3.73's and a rear locker, ~2-4" lift and 33's. My other option was a Jeep Wrangler which i know will be better but... meh... i'd rather go ford. Anyway, how will the RCSB do? Would it be comparable to a Wrangler with a 2" and 33's?
Thanks guys...
Old 03-22-2013, 03:56 PM

Received 41 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by McCarthy
So sometime in the next year i'm probably going to be picking up a "toy" if you will that is primarily going to be a weekend wheeler. I really want to stick with an f150, but i just don't know if it will be good enough? I was thinking RCSB 4x4 with 3.73's and a rear locker, ~2-4" lift and 33's. My other option was a Jeep Wrangler which i know will be better but... meh... i'd rather go ford. Anyway, how will the RCSB do? Would it be comparable to a Wrangler with a 2" and 33's?
Thanks guys...
I have a jeep cherokee (XJ) for off roading. Has 4:10 gearing and it is way better offroad than my fx4 mainly because it is small, light, and has a really short wheel base. Its also a lot cheaper to fix parts that break, and they will break. You can pick up an older jeep really cheap and in my opinion it is a much better off roader. There is a reason most guys go with them.
The following users liked this post:
McCarthy (03-22-2013)
Old 03-22-2013, 04:14 PM

That's what i was thinking. Will probably pick up a 2013-14 JK the more i look into it. The f150 is just too heavy and too wide to do anything serious. Oh well.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:26 PM

Received 3,930 Likes on 2,510 Posts

Get a Bronco.

The following 2 users liked this post by NASSTY:
McCarthy (03-22-2013), ns_redneck (03-22-2013)
Old 03-22-2013, 04:27 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Lovin the bronco. What snowmobile ya got btw? See that trailer hiding in the background
Old 03-22-2013, 04:32 PM

Received 3,930 Likes on 2,510 Posts

Originally Posted by lambo2936
Lovin the bronco. What snowmobile ya got btw? See that trailer hiding in the background
Thanks I had a Polaric XC600 Edge but I sold it this winter.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:54 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I believe I have kinda the answers you're looking for. Lmao! Honestly, here's the breakdown:

Jeep Unlimited: great for rock crawling, slow driving in general, cruising down the beach with the doors and tops off, and of course, being "in" with the Jeepers. Jeepers are really a group of their own. With a multitude of aftermarket parts, a dozen or more different color combinations, you can REALLY make your Jeep one of a kind. Also, if anything breaks, everything is replaceable by something aftermarket. It also has quite a bit of overall storage, especially with the backseats folded down. BUT, it drives like hell. No power, winds kick it's ***, and even with doors and top on, it's loud. My average on 35's and 20's is 11 mpg.

Supercrew Raptor: TOTAL BADASS. West Texas trail riding is awesome on the wide open trails. Gobs of power, pulls everything I have with ease, and is an extremely comfortable all-around ride. But, it's wide. Extremely wide. If you have any tight maneuverability trails, forget it. The Raptors getting scratched. Average is 11.7 mpg, about the same as the Jeep.

F-150 XLT Extended Cab: it's only a 2wd, but believe me, I can maneuver the hell outta it! Any trail that isn't swamped with mud I can get down pretty easily. Being that it has the same wheelbase as the Raptor, it's pretty long, but it's very comfortable. A 6.5 ft bed makes hauling everything, including an ATV, easy. I'm adding Fox coil overs and Nitto Trails and it'll be perfect for my needs. And I average 18.2 mpg. Parts are pretty cheap being that its such a mass produced vehicle.

All in all, if you want a nice ride, f-150. If you want to go EVERYWHERE, Jeep is your best bet.

How "good" would a RCSB be off road?-image-2252019031.jpg
McCarthy (03-22-2013)
Old 03-22-2013, 06:26 PM
Proudly Canadian

Received 124 Likes on 113 Posts

Another vote for jeep

McCarthy (03-22-2013)
Old 03-22-2013, 06:47 PM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by clpeller
Another vote for jeep
Where are those pics taken? Looks a lot like good ole alberta!
Old 03-22-2013, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by custom150
I believe I have kinda the answers you're looking for. Lmao! Honestly, here's the breakdown:

Jeep Unlimited: great for rock crawling, slow driving in general, cruising down the beach with the doors and tops off, and of course, being "in" with the Jeepers. Jeepers are really a group of their own. With a multitude of aftermarket parts, a dozen or more different color combinations, you can REALLY make your Jeep one of a kind. Also, if anything breaks, everything is replaceable by something aftermarket. It also has quite a bit of overall storage, especially with the backseats folded down. BUT, it drives like hell. No power, winds kick it's ***, and even with doors and top on, it's loud. My average on 35's and 20's is 11 mpg.

Supercrew Raptor: TOTAL BADASS. West Texas trail riding is awesome on the wide open trails. Gobs of power, pulls everything I have with ease, and is an extremely comfortable all-around ride. But, it's wide. Extremely wide. If you have any tight maneuverability trails, forget it. The Raptors getting scratched. Average is 11.7 mpg, about the same as the Jeep.

F-150 XLT Extended Cab: it's only a 2wd, but believe me, I can maneuver the hell outta it! Any trail that isn't swamped with mud I can get down pretty easily. Being that it has the same wheelbase as the Raptor, it's pretty long, but it's very comfortable. A 6.5 ft bed makes hauling everything, including an ATV, easy. I'm adding Fox coil overs and Nitto Trails and it'll be perfect for my needs. And I average 18.2 mpg. Parts are pretty cheap being that its such a mass produced vehicle.

All in all, if you want a nice ride, f-150. If you want to go EVERYWHERE, Jeep is your best bet.

Attachment 205086
No power? The new pentastar has just under 300hp, And the jeep weighs in right around 4,000.

Quick Reply: How "good" would a RCSB be off road?