Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how good/bad are new f150 in snow and winter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 03:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default how good/bad are new f150 in snow and winter?

I've never driven a truck in the elements before. I keep reading about how great traction control is on the new f150's. Is this exaggerated?

In other words is a new f150 with traction/stability still a lot more difficult to drive around snow covered highway than say, a RWD suv (think xterra, fj cruiser, etc?) Is the learning curve still significant?

A tundra in my area just flipped off the road and everyone died so it's kinda got me freaked out. Snow was a factor.

Like I said I have no experience driving a truck in winter and I have no idea just how steep the learning curve is. I'm coming from driving only FWD sedans in winter.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:54 PM

Received 1,389 Likes on 664 Posts

Dont know about the 09+ trucks but my 05 is unstoppable in the snow. The weight and the long wheelbase really help it in the snow so I dont see a reason why a newer truck would be worse. Tires make a huge difference in snow also. A fullsize truck with a good set of tires will handle the snow better than most other vehicles on the road.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine is a 2010 2WD SCAB and does just fine in snow and generally crappy conditions. The traction control is very good and I put about 300 lbs of sandbags in the back for winter. 4WD would be better but I'm getting by OK with 2WD. A big part of it is how much experience you have with severe winter conditions - you also have to get used to trucks if you're coming from just driving cars all the time because there's different things to watch out for.

Last edited by Joe Rotax; 10-07-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:57 PM

Received 153 Likes on 87 Posts

Its different the rear end is lighter u can add weight over the rear axle to help with traction. If u have four wheel drive u have better traction but you still don't speed. With the traction control it derates the horsepower and engine speed so the wheels don't spin kinda sucks if your are stuck on a hill
Old 10-07-2012, 03:59 PM
Meaner than ymeski56

Received 457 Likes on 331 Posts

This will be my first winter with my 09 but my 03 was very good in snow, even with marginal tires. I'm not sure what to think of the traction control as sometimes it's good, other times I'd rather turn it off. Just take it slow till you're comfortable.

A major benefit of the F150, should you happen to get in an accident is it's safety ratings compared to others.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:07 PM
TTV6>V8

Received 280 Likes on 194 Posts

I think you may be looking at things all wrong. Your truck weighs 5500-6000 pounds. You shouldn't have too much of an issue with traction. It's the STOPPING in time that you should be concerned with.
The biggest mistake people make (especially inexperienced drivers) is they get too confident with the amount of traction they have and then increase speed. Just because you can get going with out a problem doesn't mean you can stop faster too.
ABS actually hinders you in icy conditions. I have talked to a few people that have hit the ditch and they all say the same thing. I started sliding so I hit the brakes. Thus locking the wheels and losing ALL traction sending them into an uncontrolled spin.
With the story about the people in the tundra, I think snow and speed will have had a factor in that being a fatal crash.
You should have no problems with the truck on bad roads as long as you keep in mind your truck has more momentum than cars thus takes longer to stop.
Hope this helps.
The following 3 users liked this post by Logan24:
billf (10-09-2012), Grandpa's Grocery Getter (12-10-2012), Tyrenz (10-09-2012)
Old 10-07-2012, 04:10 PM
Retired and loving it!

Received 536 Likes on 398 Posts

Your answer to how good the F150 is in snow can be answered in one word:

TIRES

A good set of Blizzaks and your truck will be unstoppable.......a worn set of standard Wranglers or Pirelli's (especially the Pirelli's!).....and not so much traction available.......The traction control can only do for the truck what the tires will allow it to do.
The following users liked this post:
Grandpa's Grocery Getter (12-10-2012)
Old 10-07-2012, 04:17 PM

Received 153 Likes on 87 Posts

Any all terrain tires will do if they have a aggressive tread all season tires will only be good in snow only if brand new
Old 10-07-2012, 04:20 PM

Received 242 Likes on 191 Posts

Any vehicle is capable of driving in the snow with a good set of tires. You can have 4wd and the best traction control ever made but if you don't have the tires, you'll have problems. Just make sure you corner slower and give yourself more time to stop in a truck.

If you do a lot of winter driving I would suggest trading in your tires right away. Get some AT's that are winter rated like goodyear duratrac.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As mentioned, almost any vehicle is fine with good tires, unless you are in deeper snow where ground clearance becomes an issue ( like where a plow has pushed snow onto a side street at an intersection).

Will probably get throttled for this one, but by far the best vehicle I have ever had in snow was a Ridgeline. That is being compared to a Ram, two Tahoes, a 4Runner, and my current f150. This is for 6 inches or less on roads. It has some sort of all wheel drive and was front wheel drive when no 4wd was needed. I have found with pickups (brand doesn't matter) that the lighter weight on the rear axle (assuming unloaded) is the issue-have to engage 4wd on my 150 more just to get it going. Also as mentioned here stopping is much more an issue than starting, but maintaining control when making turns is also a place where a good 4wd is helpful- going over those "berms" at intersections and driveways caused by plows, etc.

Quick Reply: how good/bad are new f150 in snow and winter?