Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you like the 6.2L big block?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 08:37 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Thumbs up How do you like the 6.2L big engine?

I figured with all the love (for the most part) the Ecoboost was getting in the 2 words thread and opinion thread, we 6.2L owners needed a thread of our own. It will have about 80% less posts as there are not many out there, but if you have have one of these monsters, post your thoughts!

I'll start off...
First let me say MPG was not a consideration when making this purchase.
I am finding on the highway, I am getting much better than expected MPG and I am not sure why. At 65 I am getting 18mpg and I have 3.73 gears and my motor is not broke-in yet. Watching that darn info center makes you drive like there is an egg under your go pedal! In town I am getting 12mpg and what I was expecting. I am also seeing starting off real slow for a long time may not be the best way to good mpg. Get up to speed and then maintain is the best way to go.

I am amazed at how quickly it shifts to 6th gear and stays there going up hills at 55mph. At 1200 rpm, it just goes! This is way under where this engine makes real power. Very impressive!

Speaking of raw power...OMG this thing moves out! The power band is much larger in real world driving than the graphs posted here would suggest. Mash the go pedal and hang on! It will toss you into the seat and that wonderful exhaust note tells you that you are in one powerful truck! Speaking of the sound...this is my very first V8 and I am 45 years young! My last truck had a v6 with a Eaton twin screw blower on it and got 11MPG no matter what on premium fuel. It made a great noise as well but I have to admit, there is something special about the sound of a strong v8. (OMG did I really say that?!)

I also like seeing the faces of other "truck guys" when they ask what engine is in it...it seams even dodge, GM, and Toyota guys have lots of respect for this old technology V8. And everybody knows it as the Raptor engine...

Did I mention how great this engine sounds?

Yes I would buy again!

Last edited by Cleanmaxx Brian; 04-21-2013 at 09:19 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Cleanmaxx Brian:
jmoore9 (04-21-2013), mdalbert (08-07-2013), ns_redneck (04-22-2013)
Old 04-21-2013, 09:07 PM

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm looking at it in an FX4 just so I can get close to HD payload package numbers on the door panel with a comfortable cab and not look like I am driving a semi.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:10 PM

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

FYI the 6.2 isn't a big block.
The following 3 users liked this post by Burns331:
B2E2RUN (04-24-2013), DAI6.2 (04-22-2013), hydro (04-21-2013)
Old 04-21-2013, 09:17 PM

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

it's bigger than an eco.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:18 PM
Beer Gut Extraordinaire

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,317 Posts

My dad has it in his Limited. It's good, nothing super groundbreaking about it IMO.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Burns331
FYI the 6.2 isn't a big block.
Can't change the thread title but I tried...
What would qualify a big block then?
I thought the 5.0 was the small block...
Old 04-21-2013, 09:23 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cleanmaxx Brian
I figured with all the love (for the most part) the Ecoboost was getting in the 2 words thread and opinion thread, we 6.2L owners needed a thread of our own. It will have about 80% less posts as there are not many out there, but if you have have one of these monsters, post your thoughts!

I'll start off...
First let me say MPG was not a consideration when making this purchase.
I am finding on the highway, I am getting much better than expected MPG and I am not sure why. At 65 I am getting 18mpg and I have 3.73 gears and my motor is not broke-in yet. Watching that darn info center makes you drive like there is an egg under your go pedal! In town I am getting 12mpg and what I was expecting. I am also seeing starting off real slow for a long time may not be the best way to good mpg. Get up to speed and then maintain is the best way to go.

I am amazed at how quickly it shifts to 6th gear and stays there going up hills at 55mph. At 1200 rpm, it just goes! This is way under where this engine makes real power. Very impressive!

Speaking of raw power...OMG this thing moves out! The power band is much larger in real world driving than the graphs posted here would suggest. Mash the go pedal and hang on! It will toss you into the seat and that wonderful exhaust note tells you that you are in one powerful truck! Speaking of the sound...this is my very first V8 and I am 45 years young! My last truck had a v6 with a Eaton twin screw blower on it and got 11MPG no matter what on premium fuel. It made a great noise as well but I have to admit, there is something special about the sound of a strong v8. (OMG did I really say that?!)

I also like seeing the faces of other "truck guys" when they ask what engine is in it...it seams even dodge, GM, and Toyota guys have lots of respect for this old technology V8. And everybody knows it as the Raptor engine...

Did I mention how great this engine sounds?

Yes I would buy again!

I just bought one 2 weeks ago and I admire this truck. This my second V-8 truck, the other was in the dodge 4.7 but this 6.2 wants to go.

I get the same mpg as you do when I am babying it and since this is just a Sunday Truck I do not have a problem with the mpg right now.

But I am wondering about the shifting in automatically, when you get down on the accelerator it wants to get to 6th gear as fast as it can and seems it is not shifting smoothly, plus the all wheel traction seems to playing a role in this. I like to pass smoothing another car not baby it around when I am passing someone if need be. Any thoughts about this?

Other than that , the engine I am comfortable with.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:26 PM

Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

Cleanmaxx, you ought to throw an SCT tune on her and wake her up. As soon as I did it I figured out there's no reason to get an exhaust as it now roars.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by HardcoreFXFour
My dad has it in his Limited. It's good, nothing super groundbreaking about it IMO.
Is there a 1/2 ton truck with more HP/torque from the factory?
Old 04-21-2013, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by jmoore9
Cleanmaxx, you ought to throw an SCT tune on her and wake her up. As soon as I did it I figured out there's no reason to get an exhaust as it now roars.
Really? That big of a difference?
I just don't want to void my warranty...

Quick Reply: How do you like the 6.2L big block?