Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I lower the pressure setting for my TPMS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 09:37 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How do I lower the pressure setting for my TPMS?

The new wheels and tires I put on my truck (2014 XLT) need to be inflated to around 37 psi to keep the warning thing on the dash from going off. The tires feel way to hard at that pressure. I'd like to know how to lower the pressure setting for the TPMS system in my truck.

Thanks
Old 08-09-2015, 09:44 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

You cant unless you have access to IDS, that's Ford tech's computer interface. Check the label on the door, what ever that sticker says is what the TPMS should be calibrated to.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:31 PM

Received 698 Likes on 442 Posts

And, for tire life and performance, NEVER go by the door jamb recommendations!

Sounds like an unfortunate tire situation. I run 10-Ply (Load Range E) tires at 50psi, and I get a nice smooth ride. Firm-yes, but smooth.

If anyone buys a cheap tire (Kumho, Hankook, etc.) they can expect less-than-normal satisfaction.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:26 AM
BoostKing Tuning

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

You can also use an SCT tuner with the special options to alter the TPMS pressure settings.
Old 08-10-2015, 02:46 PM

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Default How do I lower the pressure setting for my TPMS?

Originally Posted by Boostking
You can also use an SCT tuner with the special options to alter the TPMS pressure settings.
Plus one on that
Old 08-10-2015, 02:56 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm probably mistaken, but I thought when the TPMS sensors go through the "learn" process, the learning part is what the current pressure is and when I drops a certain percentage (?) below that, your dash notification turns on.

I have gone from the stock Goodyears at 36 psi or whatever it was, to the current BFG All Terrain T/A KO2s at 55 psi. I bought the FORD learning tool that looks like a garage door remote and use this sequence:

https://tpmsdirect.wordpress.com/201...-tpms-sensors/

I can't see why it would matter if pressure was being reduced instead of increased...
Old 08-10-2015, 05:32 PM

Received 169 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Fatfenders
I'm probably mistaken, but I thought when the TPMS sensors go through the "learn" process, the learning part is what the current pressure is and when I drops a certain percentage (?) below that, your dash notification turns on.

I have gone from the stock Goodyears at 36 psi or whatever it was, to the current BFG All Terrain T/A KO2s at 55 psi. I bought the FORD learning tool that looks like a garage door remote and use this sequence:

https://tpmsdirect.wordpress.com/201...-tpms-sensors/

I can't see why it would matter if pressure was being reduced instead of increased...

ding ding ding you are correct
they learn and compare each tire
i run my rears at 32 and the fronts at 42...tpms doesnt alarm.
when they are rotated the tires are lowered and aired up to ft the new position and all is good
Old 08-10-2015, 06:50 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Forgot all about being able to use a programmer like sct, hell I have one of those to lol, but anyway let me clear up a little confusion in this thread.

With regard to how and when the tpms pops a light on and how the system actually works.

These two pics show a range of pressures that can be changed with IDS (Ford's computer).

There are obviously more but that's a range I took a screen shot of with IDS. As you can see it clearly shows the tire placard (door or door jamb) and what it's set at from the factory, using my truck. IDS gives a stern warning about changing those values due to the fed gov mandate that all vehicles from 2007> be equipped with the system.

Here is a description from the shop manual (Ford) how the tpms system operates.

Close attention to the paragraph in red I originally thought as others that the system measured all 4 and when one falls below a % of the other 3 tires it pops a light and this is not the case. If any tire falls outside the preprogrammed front or rear setting (on the door sticker) it will pop a light.

Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
The Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) includes:

• the Body Control Module (BCM) , located behind the passenger side kick panel.
  • the Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) module, located behind the instrument panel on the RH side near the glove box.
  • four valve stem mounted tire pressure sensors.
  • an Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) warning indicator.
  • message center warnings.
Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) Module

The TPM module is a radio receiver that collects the tire pressure data from the TPMS tire pressure sensors. The TPM module passes the tire pressure data to the BCM , where the BCM applies a predetermined pass/fail criteria.

The BCM compares the information of each tire pressure message against a pressure limit. If the BCM determines that the tire pressure has fallen below the minimum pressure, the BCM communicates this to the IPC on the vehicle communication network.

Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Pressure Sensor

The BCM uses tire pressure sensors to monitor the tire pressure in the 4 road tires. The sensors transmit radio frequency signals to the BCM approximately once every 60 seconds when the vehicle speed exceeds 32 km/h (20 mph).

The tire pressure sensors are battery operated and mounted to the valve stem.

Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) and Message Center

The IPC illuminates the TPMS warning indicator when it receives a TPMS warning indicator on request from the BCM and displays the appropriate message(s) in the message center.
Old 08-11-2015, 05:29 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

With my 2013 Jeep Wrangler I was able to set the TPMS to "0" using a programer. This let me run without TPMS sensors in my tires. I wish I could do the same with my F-150.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:18 AM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

deleted

Last edited by Fatfenders; 08-12-2015 at 08:21 AM.

Quick Reply: How do I lower the pressure setting for my TPMS?