Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to completely disable traction control

Old 10-22-2015, 11:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How to completely disable traction control

So I have a 13 platinum with the 6.2 an the 3.73 electronic locking rear differential. This is gonna sound childish but I wanna do burnouts lol, I know the press and hold on the traction control button but the truck still seems to have a computer kicking in not allowing it. An if I lock in the rear end forget it it won't do it all an I would think with the 6.2 there would be plenty of power to turn those 20's over......am I missing something????
Old 10-23-2015, 12:01 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

press traction control button once. Truck should say traction control off. press again and hold for about 5 seconds. should say activetrac off. after that its pretty much user error
Old 10-23-2015, 12:06 AM
How's she goin' eh?

Received 588 Likes on 488 Posts

Unfortunately it can't be turned off permanently. It's worked into the safety features that are mandatory and government regulated.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:39 AM
US ARMY

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

i have a 10' FX4 and i can only one wheel peel
The following users liked this post:
Ironfist (01-06-2021)
Old 10-23-2015, 01:05 AM

Received 157 Likes on 124 Posts

As a 6.2 owner I will tell you right now unless you disable the brake and throttle kill functions via tuning ( that only one tuner I know of can actually do and sells a specific "burnout" tune") you are screwed. The 5 liter and Ecobust guys will jump in telling you how to do it via the dash buttons and on a 6.2 it doesn't work. They are a lot more throttle limited from the factory than the other engines are. I had two separate 2013 6.2 F150's for a while and neither did squat when you held the brake and throttle together beyond stutter. It didn't matter that you sat and held the traction control button to disable the RSC and Traction control...... it doesn't do anything regarding the ability to do a brakestand on a 6.2.

Both of mine could do brakestands but you are limited again with the factory e locker locked unless you want a one tire fire. With the locker engaged via the dash button you get 30 mph wheelspeed and then that's it. The way around it is just to either ditch the e locker or hardwire it with your own switch so the trucks TCCM doesn't know it's locked. I ditched the one truck but still have my 6.2 FX4 and it does great burnouts lol. Adding long bars in the back made it's burnout ability so much better..... no more stupid wheelhop.

And the other thing that JDM can do that no one else will or can.... is kill the traction control system dead.

Last edited by 1994Vmax; 10-23-2015 at 01:10 AM.
Old 10-23-2015, 11:21 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a 5.0. I was not aware of the 6.2 being tuned differently
Old 10-23-2015, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
I have a 5.0. I was not aware of the 6.2 being tuned differently
6.2's from the factory are pathetic.... they have so many limiters I don't even whey Ford even bothered installing it in the trucks in the first place. Even for pulling the low end is so bogged down with powertrain protection it makes them feel a lot weaker than they should be. You see 5 liter and Eco guys talking about ripping donuts and sill stuff like that..... stock with these... good luck. It will start and immediately shut down even after you hold the button. The guys at JDM have looked and the 6.2 is a lot more neutered from the factory than any other powertrain option. I had too with HP tuners but I wasn't able to disable anything like the SCT software will allow so I just set it aside. Good way for Ford to make everyone think it was underwhelming and sell more 5 liters and Ecoboosts lol.
Old 10-23-2015, 11:59 AM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts

There are several on here that just pull the fuse, this will kill all to include ABS. I've also read of others wiring in a switch so when you want to throw money out the window and show off to the redneck buddies you just flip the switch and burn away!
Old 10-23-2015, 12:03 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by SVTFheide
So I have a 13 platinum with the 6.2 an the 3.73 electronic locking rear differential. This is gonna sound childish but I wanna do burnouts lol, I know the press and hold on the traction control button but the truck still seems to have a computer kicking in not allowing it. An if I lock in the rear end forget it it won't do it all an I would think with the 6.2 there would be plenty of power to turn those 20's over......am I missing something????
Lol not childish at all, your just having fun. I did a small one last night
Old 10-23-2015, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by RES4CUE
There are several on here that just pull the fuse, this will kill all to include ABS. I've also read of others wiring in a switch so when you want to throw money out the window and show off to the redneck buddies you just flip the switch and burn away!
Doesn't work. It makes the traction system not intervene obviously but the low end power limitations and namely throttle and brake interaction are still there and do not change. I ran both of my trucks with fuse 36 pulled for a long time... You can't engage the e locker if you pull 47 but you can with 36. The problem with running with 36 pulled is I found on surfaces the truck could slip on while braking ( live gravel) the abs pump tries to do something but just can't...... but in doing so the brake pedal gets hard momentarily and you lose braking power in short intervals. It's not pumping the brakes like with abs to momentarily unlock your tires.... it just stops you from applying proper pedal pressure. I put probably 10000 miles on with this stuff disabled but ended up reinstalling the fuses for the brake problems. If you want to do it right you have to hardwire the e locker ( or ditch it) and then shut off power to 47. That kills the abs system and the factory e locker functions but won't do the goofy abs pump thing. You obviously are stuck with an open diff unless you swap the carrier in the rear end or hotwire the factory locker.

I prefer the kill it electronically and retain abs function myself.

Still can't do a brakestand though with either of the two fuses pulled. Just sits there and stutters just like it will stock which as I have mentioned and no one that doesn't have one acknowledges is 6.2 specific of course.....

Last edited by 1994Vmax; 10-23-2015 at 12:20 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to completely disable traction control