Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Homelink vs Car2U(old) garage door opener

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 05:45 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Homelink vs Car2U(old) garage door opener

So I have a 2012 f150 with the Car2U visor remote (3 LED lights version) and had to replace my garage door opener. Now I need the Homelink opener (house logo at center button). My visor opener is now old stuff apparently.

So the question is, instead of tearing apart my visor, is a 2014 visor the same visor? 2014 f150s have the Homelink opener in the visor.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:14 AM
LOP

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/lear-c...opener-263742/
Old 10-13-2014, 06:17 AM

Received 168 Likes on 156 Posts

I don't think you have to change anything, just reprogram it..

HomeLink

1. Hold your garage remote 1-3 inches away from the HomeLink buttons on your visor.
2. At the same time press and hold both the garage remote and the HomeLink button you wish to program. When the HomeLink light begins to flash rapidly release both buttons
3. Press and hold the same HomeLink button for five seconds then release. Repeat this twice to program the garage door. If the door doesn’t move, press and hold the programmed button and observe the light. If the light stays constant then the programming is complete, If the light blinks rapidly for two seconds then stays constant proceed to steps 4-5.
4. Head to the garage door opener unit and press the Learn/Smart button. It is usually located on the same side as the hanging antenna. Once the button is pressed you have 30 seconds to start step 5
5. Go to your vehicle and press and release the programmed button for two seconds. Repeat this step until the garage door moves. Once it’s moved programming is complete.

Car2U

1. Press and hold the two outer buttons for two seconds and release.
2. Go to the garage unit and locate the Learn/Smart button and press it. It should be located near the hanging antenna. Once you press the Learn/Smart Button you have 30 seconds to start step 3.
3. Press and hold the desired Car2U button you wish to program and wait for the garage door to move (this sometimes can take awhile so be patient). Once the garage door moves immediately release the button within 1 second and programming is complete.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:17 AM
LOP

https://www.f150forum.com/f4/homelink-visor-mod-82415/
The following users liked this post:
ProAktion (10-13-2014)
Old 10-13-2014, 06:24 AM
LOP

http://www.brandmotion.com/homelink-1.html
Old 10-13-2014, 08:22 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Originally Posted by ProAktion
So I have a 2012 f150 with the Car2U visor remote (3 LED lights version) and had to replace my garage door opener. Now I need the Homelink opener (house logo at center button). My visor opener is now old stuff apparently.

So the question is, instead of tearing apart my visor, is a 2014 visor the same visor? 2014 f150s have the Homelink opener in the visor.
I have no knowledge of Car2U or whether it can be made to work with your new opener.

But, I do have knowledge of the process to install a Homelink opener, and it is NOT "tearing apart" your visor. The process is very easy, and if you do it with clean hands then when you are done the visor looks just like it did before you started. There are great directions to use a butter knife and a credit card (use an old one it gets ruined). You need no special skills at all.

I bought two of them - one for my Fusion - which turned out to not have the cutout in the visor so I didn't install it, and it's for sale on this forum. I also have all the instructions in PDF or link format.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:43 AM

Ok so according to this lnk, I can just pull back the cloth on my visor to access the opener? Is it really that easy??
Old 10-13-2014, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Ricktwuhk

I have no knowledge of Car2U or whether it can be made to work with your new opener.

But, I do have knowledge of the process to install a Homelink opener, and it is NOT "tearing apart" your visor. The process is very easy, and if you do it with clean hands then when you are done the visor looks just like it did before you started. There are great directions to use a butter knife and a credit card (use an old one it gets ruined). You need no special skills at all.

I bought two of them - one for my Fusion - which turned out to not have the cutout in the visor so I didn't install it, and it's for sale on this forum. I also have all the instructions in PDF or link format.
Im looking for it now
Old 10-13-2014, 09:47 AM

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

Subscribed... The car2u doesn't work with my door opener but I know the home link does.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:13 AM

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

what garage door opener do you have? Car2U works with almost everything, but few of them do take some extra programming steps, while 1-2 need a repeater unit (should be cheaper than the homelink visor)

Quick Reply: Homelink vs Car2U(old) garage door opener