Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hinge disappointment

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 07:13 PM
2018 Lariat 4x4

Received 91 Likes on 70 Posts

Default Hinge disappointment

Back from the car wash today to discover the driver door "over-opened". I wouldn't think this possible. Anyone else experience this?

I'm hoping this is a warranty item.
Attached Thumbnails Hinge disappointment-image-108112781.jpg   Hinge disappointment-image-392708595.jpg  
Old 07-05-2011, 07:20 PM
Senior almost

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I read someone else had the same problem but dealer said it was the owners fault so no warranty, this might be a issue to watch.. That owner said the wind blew the door open and that made the hinge bad, over opening doors migth be a new thread to watch...
Old 07-05-2011, 07:27 PM
2018 Lariat 4x4

Received 91 Likes on 70 Posts

I checked that passenger door and the skin doesn't even come close to the hinge on that side.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:45 AM
Master Gunner

Received 547 Likes on 363 Posts

Unhappy

I had the same problem with my 09 Platinum where the driver's door "over" opened and the leading edge of the door contacted the hinge, causing unsightly damage.

You can see in the photo with inset that with the driver's door opened and slight pressure applied, the hinge can now freely make contact with the hinge. Of course, since the damage has already been done and the edge is now deformed outwards, there appears to still be some space between the hinge and edge.

Examining the passenger door hinge point, it appears there is about a 1/4" gap between the edge of the door and the hinge. The pillar on which the door "stop" arm is mounted to has some unacceptable flexing that can easily allow the door edge to contact the hinge if given enough force. I noticed that the doors are very heavy so this is just an "accident" waiting to happen.
Attached Thumbnails Hinge disappointment-p1010359.jpg   Hinge disappointment-p1010360.jpg   Hinge disappointment-p1010361.jpg   Hinge disappointment-p1010373.jpg   Hinge disappointment-p1010365.jpg  

Last edited by Augster; 07-06-2011 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Grammatical Errors
The following users liked this post:
canddmeyer (03-31-2014)
Old 07-06-2011, 11:51 AM

Received 117 Likes on 83 Posts

Need to come up with some kind of "limiting strap" for all the doors so they won't open "too far" as allowed by the Ford Enggineersor a "bump stop" to limit distance the door can travel...
Old 07-06-2011, 12:34 PM
Master Gunner

There is a "limiting strap" as I mentioned in my post ("stop" arm is what I called it). As I said, the "limiting strap" is mounted to the pillar and the door, but when I apply some force to "over open" the door the pillar flexes too much in my opinion; well it should no longer be just an "opinion" as its apparent that the "limiting strap" did not prevent my driver's door from contacting the hinge.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:44 PM
"Hold My $tone$"

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Unbelievable.................

Way to go MoFoCo engineers.

Wonder if this issue will get addressed the same time they figure out how to seal a third brake light to prevent water intrusion?

If the FoMoCo doesn't cover it, I'm sure your comprehensive insurance will.

Last edited by Bottom Dollah; 07-06-2011 at 12:47 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:49 PM
z06

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Augster
There is a "limiting strap" as I mentioned in my post ("stop" arm is what I called it). As I said, the "limiting strap" is mounted to the pillar and the door, but when I apply some force to "over open" the door the pillar flexes too much in my opinion; well it should no longer be just an "opinion" as its apparent that the "limiting strap" did not prevent my driver's door from contacting the hinge.
Why in the world would you want to apply enough force to over power the limiting strap? I have had Ford trucks for years with those straps and never forced the door open beyond the straps and dont let go of the door when the wind is blowing.
yotehunter (03-19-2013)
Old 07-06-2011, 01:11 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by z06
Why in the world would you want to apply enough force to over power the limiting strap? I have had Ford trucks for years with those straps and never forced the door open beyond the straps and dont let go of the door when the wind is blowing.

Not all of us live in a perfect world, mistakes do happen. This is obviously a defect that needs to be fixed.
Toddman38 (03-18-2013)
Old 07-06-2011, 01:29 PM
Master Gunner

Originally Posted by z06
You sir, may have inferred the wrong impression when I mentioned applying slight pressure on the limiting strap. I did that to simulate inadvertent loading, such as when the truck is parked on a severe side angle and you happen to let the door on the low side swing open by itself.

Or as another poster alluded to, if a severe wind gust happens to blow by just when you're opening the door.

Or the OP when he had his car washed and the door somehow was "over opened."

We can't always control the door opening; 5'3" girlfriend probably won't have the strength to hold the heavy doors from over-swinging given the "wrong" circumstances. Like another said, accidents happen. Case in point: a family member was relocating this same truck from my driveway to the street and somehow stepped on the gas pedal instead of the brake and rammed my truck into a parked car in front of it, pushing that car into yet a third vehicle parked in front of that. The rammed car happened to be my rental car I got when my girlfriends car broke down 130 miles away. Since it was MY truck and MY rental, it is MY insurance that has to cover ALL THREE CARS here in California, even though I was no where near the vehicles at the time.

Of course I would NOT purposefully "over open" my door, but then again, you think me an idiot I s'pose. (Which I probably am for letting someone ELSE drive my truck.)
Attached Thumbnails Hinge disappointment-img_0331.jpg  
Attached Images  

Last edited by Augster; 07-06-2011 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Added crash photos
canddmeyer (03-31-2014)

Quick Reply: Hinge disappointment