Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hesitation at times and now CEL

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 11:25 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Hesitation at times and now CEL

Hey guys my first post here. I have a 2011 3.5L evoboost super crew 4x4 shirt bed. I still have to figure out my profile. I've had my truck about 1.5 years now. About a month or so ago I was driving and it decided to hesitate right when I was turning and I pushed the pedal to the floor. About 1-2 seconds passed and my truck suddenly floored it. I was concerned but figured it might of been the gas. Didn't really notice anything the next week or two. Ran some fuel system cleaner. Drove from MD to the OBX and hit tons of stop and go traffic and it kept hesitating and reving high and going. After I got about half way it ran great. Ran great at the beach and on the way back. Gas mileage climbed to about 17.5 on the trip from the 13.5 I was getting before. Been driving a few weeks since getting back and it has hesitated a little but not much. Today I'm driving to work and see the check engine is on. I pulled the codes and it's P0016 and P0016 p. Crankshaft positioning sensor. I was wondering if u guys think this may be what was causing the gas mileage issues and problems? Would u recommend sea foaming the truck or anything ? I have 92k on it so I was wondering if I should look into plugs or anything. 90k service I assume ? Thanks guys
Old 09-14-2017, 06:54 AM

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

I don't have any first hand experience, but whenever I see a post asking about the P0016 code, they usually end up needed a new timing chain and/or cam phasers. Most people with the ecoboost seem to change their plugs way before 90k, so that may be a good start.

Don't waste your money on additives.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:15 AM

It came with 70k. I assume it was changed out before but I'm not sure
Old 09-14-2017, 09:10 AM

Received 2,101 Likes on 1,725 Posts

The book says 100k for plugs, people here recommend 30k for the eco. If previous owner was following the book, probably never changed them.
Old 11-01-2017, 06:58 PM

well to answer what it ended up being. The timing chain was rattling when I would first start the vehicle. I assume the chain was stretched some. It was skipping timing at times. This obviously caused the truck to run like crap and hesitate at random times. Gas mileage was terrible. Took my local ford dealer a month to repair my truck and get the parts replaced. Was under warranty with my extended warranty but they ended up replacing the timing chain and the pulleys on the timing chain. Ford dealer claimed the part was on back order from ford. Took a month to get ford to fix my truck and back on the road.
Old 11-01-2017, 07:33 PM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

Drill a hole in your intercooler and change your plugs. Ford SP534's Gap them at .030
Old 11-02-2017, 07:10 AM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

That ^^
Old 11-02-2017, 09:44 AM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by mgaither0
well to answer what it ended up being. The timing chain was rattling when I would first start the vehicle. I assume the chain was stretched some. It was skipping timing at times. This obviously caused the truck to run like crap and hesitate at random times. Gas mileage was terrible. Took my local ford dealer a month to repair my truck and get the parts replaced. Was under warranty with my extended warranty but they ended up replacing the timing chain and the pulleys on the timing chain. Ford dealer claimed the part was on back order from ford. Took a month to get ford to fix my truck and back on the road.
Backorder for a month? They weren't being honest with you it doesn't seem. I just had all that replaced under the TSB at my local dealer a few weeks ago and it took two days. All parts in stock and available. They said there hasn't been any kind of issue with parts for this TSB in quite some time.

Secondly, this timing chain replacement isn't going to fix your issue. The noise and timing chain stretch just causes a few little issues and the noise, it doesn't throw a misfire code or cause hesitation. You still need good plugs gapped correctly and potentially drill the intercooler if necessary.

I had the timing chain noise for 10-15k miles and never had a code, never had bad gas mileage and never misfired. I also have proper plugs and replace them every 20-25k miles.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:54 AM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

Hopefully they did the cam phasers when they did the timing chain.
Old 11-02-2017, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Tothemax
Hopefully they did the cam phasers when they did the timing chain.
I'm sure they didn't do anything. They were so incompetent that after I went off on the general managers voicemail and off on the service manager my truck was fixed in a couple days. This is after it sat in the parking lot for over 3 weeks at this point.