Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!! Really need some expertise

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 11:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Help!! Really need some expertise

Hey guys
I just got my first truck and chose the F150 because well...it's just the obvious choice lol On a tight budget so got a high mileage 2009 5.4 3v Triton. I love the truck, I am so shocked at the mileage it can get with normal gas with a V8!! I have a v8 M3 and that thing drinks gas.

Anyway, I just got the truck two week ago. When I test drove it, there was a very very minor 1-2 shudder when taking off and coming to a stop. Didn't think much of it but this week it's been really bad. I have read countless threads but I can't seem to get the right answer. Truck is bone stock though I do have some plans for it in the future lol

Symptoms:
When taking off from 0 (light or hard acceleration) and right when it is about to come to a complete stop, there is 5-6 shudders and it's getting more rough by the day. On acceleration, once it pass 5mph, it's completely gone and the ride is really smooth and the shifts are silky smooth. If I put it to neutral and come to a stop, there is no shudder.

I read if it shudder and gives you a kick only when you are coming to a stop, it's most likely the pinion to the rear diff, but mine happens at take off too. I then read it could be a misfire but I put it to a scan tool and i have 0 misfire on all cylinder. Then I read it could be the torque converter but it is supposed to also shudder at 45-60mph or so which I don't have. I also read the 1-2 2-1 shifts are really bad for this truck and need a reflash of the pcm, but mine 1-2 and 2-1 is also very smooth, it is literally right when I am about to come to a dead stop. Would doing a tranny flush or rear diff flush work? Anyone experienced the same problem?

Just coming back from work, I found out the night tailight lights don't work, but brake light, reverse, and signal all works. I read it could be a broken wire on top of the spare wheel, which I will check and get back.

Anything would be helpful!! Thanks guys

Last edited by DarkChaos; 07-21-2017 at 12:01 AM.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:28 AM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

The stop/start thump is almost surely what is known as slip-bump or slip yoke thump. Its an old and common problem for many makes and years of truck. The splines of the slip yoke are losing their nickel-chrome plating and getting draggy on the output shaft of the transmission (or transfer case on a 4wd). It will happen right as the truck reaches full stop and the suspension settles back to normal from its tail high stopping stance. It will happen again upon initial throttle application when the rear end squats under torque. The short term fix is to pull the driveshaft and grease the splines. My best result so far has been with copper based anti-sieze. The long term fix is replace the slip yoke. Its annoying but not damaging, so you don't HAVE to fix it right away.
The following users liked this post:
Wanted33 (07-22-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by PerryB
The stop/start thump is almost surely what is known as slip-bump or slip yoke thump. Its an old and common problem for many makes and years of truck. The splines of the slip yoke are losing their nickel-chrome plating and getting draggy on the output shaft of the transmission (or transfer case on a 4wd). It will happen right as the truck reaches full stop and the suspension settles back to normal from its tail high stopping stance. It will happen again upon initial throttle application when the rear end squats under torque. The short term fix is to pull the driveshaft and grease the splines. My best result so far has been with copper based anti-sieze. The long term fix is replace the slip yoke. Its annoying but not damaging, so you don't HAVE to fix it right away.
Thanks a lot! Really appreciate your reply. I will go and look for copper based anti sieze. Is there any brand in particular? Thanks again!
Old 07-22-2017, 12:21 PM
Five-0 Ret.

Received 674 Likes on 578 Posts

Also, you may need to change the tranny fluid. My old '97 would do the same thing when when it needed new fluid. Good luck.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Wanted33
Also, you may need to change the tranny fluid. My old '97 would do the same thing when when it needed new fluid. Good luck.
Ok I will do that too thank you man
The following users liked this post:
Wanted33 (07-23-2017)