Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Me Find Spare Wheel To Go With Method NVs

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Me Find Spare Wheel To Go With Method NVs

Hi Guys,

I am not the best when it comes to understanding wheel offsets and backspacing but I think this should be a fairly straight forward question for those that work often with wheels and tires.

I have a 2013 Ford F150 with a 2.5 inch level in the front. I have 17x8.5in Method NV 305's with 0 offset wheels and Toyo Open Country MT2 305/70/17 tires. I am looking to buy a full size spare to set in the bed that has the same tire but don't want to fork over the extra cash for another Method Wheel. This would really only be used in the case of a blowout on the highway or trail and wouldn't be worked into a tire rotation schedule.

I am leaning toward a Jegs Baja 8 black steel wheel but I'm not sure about the offset and the fact that these don't seem to come in 8.5" and only 8" width. Would this wheel work with my current tire and would the offset be so different that I could potentially mess something up on the truck while trying to run it as a temporary spare? If anyone has any other advice I'm more than open to recommendations. Thanks!
https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performa...81144/10002/-1
Old 05-28-2018, 09:56 PM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Lightbulb

troybvincent ... This would really only be used in the case of a blowout on the highway or trail and wouldn't be worked into a tire rotation schedule. ...
IF that's the case, why not use the OEM F-150 FoMoCo standard - 18" steel rim with appropriately diametered tire❔

... < jeg's rim URL >
Reasons not ...
  • center bore is WAY off. *spec' is 87mm / 3.4252" - F-150 rims are hub centric, not bolt centric
  • the offset is 0(zero). *spec' is 44mm / 1¾" even though current rims are 0(zero)
Old 05-29-2018, 10:10 AM

I suppose that would work but I was hoping to use the same type of tire in case I was out on a trail. Most of my miles are admittedly highway, so I have better odds of a blowout on the interstate, but thought it would be good to have something that could me off a trail as well.

Is there anything in specific that you would recommend that would be able to both fit the current tire I have but also be a cheaper rim than the Method?

Thanks again!
Old 05-29-2018, 10:25 AM

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,725 Posts

Standard spare is 18", at least mine is. Same outer size tire is 305/65/18, don't know if the exact Toyo tire comes in that size. But you could go narrower at 285/70/18 and still be fine for spare usage.
Old 05-29-2018, 10:47 AM

Thanks, Spiky!

So, running a bigger wheel with narrower tire wouldn't mess anything up? I wouldn't run it for very long but I guess it could be needed for a few hundred miles if I was on a road trip and couldn't find the right Toyo's nearby.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:00 PM

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,725 Posts

Only the outer tire diameter matters for driving, those are both very close to your 17" size. Width shouldn't really matter for short term, not-extreme use. Maybe someone else has more knowledge, but these aren't terribly different in the first place. Actually, you may want to go narrower to fit on the narrower rim better.

I'm pretty sure these tires fit easily in the spare location, too.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:25 PM

Okay, great. I would like to be able to utilize the factory spare storage if possible. I predominately use my truck for hunting and offroad hiking/camping and not any crazy serious offroading or rock crawling so I think this route with the 18" wheel and equivalent tire height may be my best bet. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Help Me Find Spare Wheel To Go With Method NVs