Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Canadians or anyone with snow!?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 03:38 PM
Project White Fang

Received 262 Likes on 222 Posts

Default Help! Canadians or anyone with snow!?

So i will be getting my new truck in about a week. It has the pirelli tires on 20" rims. Obviously these will suck in winter but unfortunately i don't have a choice and will be driving across ontario with them(fingers crossed the highways arnt snowy/icy).

Anyway, my question is.. I have friends rocking trail grapplers in winter and love them but theirs are not wide. Does anyone have Nitto trail grapplers in the winter and if you do are they wide for example 305/55/20?? When I had that setup on my old truck they didn't seem to have very good traction but they are also running low on tread so I'm not sure if its because they are wide or because they are a little low in the tread department. I am not sure on what to do for tires once I am back. Does anyone use the stock pirellis during winter and if so how do they hold up? I would rather not buy fancy new rims/tires and put them on in the winter, it would be nicer to wait until spring. Also do you guys use winter tires or just keep your "summer" rims and tires on all year round? sorry for so many questions just trying to make sure I have everything figured out for the new truck
Old 11-30-2014, 03:58 PM

Received 3,933 Likes on 2,510 Posts

I run 295/60/20 Trail Grapplers year round. ...well I've only had my '14 for 2 months but I had the same size Trail Grapplers on my '11 for 3.5 years. I also drive my Bronco quite a bit in the winter and that has 33x12.5x15 Duratracs.
I don't have much experience with the stock Pirellis, I ditched those with 600 miles on each truck. I had 305/55/20 Terra Grapplers on my 06. I didn't like those too much in the snow but no problems with the Trails.
Old 11-30-2014, 04:09 PM

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

Congrats on the new truck! I'm sure we'd all like to see some pics when you get her.

As for the pirellis......OMG, it is not even worth leaving the lot with them. I wish I had done some research on what tires came with my 13 FX4 when I bought it. The pirellis are fine on dry pavement. Wet and they spin like crazy, raining..they are border line unsafe.
Snow and ice they should be illegal to have. Last year when it had snowed or there was ice i was in 4x4 more than not which is not great for the truck. When in 4x2 the backend felt like it would slide out at any given time in poor conditions.
I just put Goodyear Adventure with Kevlar on a month or so ago and it is a night a day difference. While not a true snow tire, they are rated high for snow and ice and handle much better. I was thinking duratracs but couldn't justify the extra cost and drop in mileage they would likely cause. Mileage is already poor, but that's another thread. 😄
If you must drive with the pirellis in snow or ice, just be careful....
Again, congrats on the new truck.
The following users liked this post:
Black_Thunder (11-30-2014)
Old 11-30-2014, 04:21 PM
Project White Fang

Originally Posted by NASSTY
I run 295/60/20 Trail Grapplers year round. ...well I've only had my '14 for 2 months but I had the same size Trail Grapplers on my '11 for 3.5 years. I also drive my Bronco quite a bit in the winter and that has 33x12.5x15 Duratracs.
I don't have much experience with the stock Pirellis, I ditched those with 600 miles on each truck. I had 305/55/20 Terra Grapplers on my 06. I didn't like those too much in the snow but no problems with the Trails.
ya my friend has 295s but on 18s. Those are skinnier of a tire though thats why I'm not sure if its the wider tire or just my low tread. I had been using BF goodrich on my stock 17's on my last F150 for winter and then my trail grapplers 305/55/20 in summer but I had them on for a couple late/early snow falls and they weren't to great.
Old 11-30-2014, 04:26 PM
Project White Fang

Originally Posted by Rheimy
Congrats on the new truck! I'm sure we'd all like to see some pics when you get her.

As for the pirellis......OMG, it is not even worth leaving the lot with them. I wish I had done some research on what tires came with my 13 FX4 when I bought it. The pirellis are fine on dry pavement. Wet and they spin like crazy, raining..they are border line unsafe.
Snow and ice they should be illegal to have. Last year when it had snowed or there was ice i was in 4x4 more than not which is not great for the truck. When in 4x2 the backend felt like it would slide out at any given time in poor conditions.
I just put Goodyear Adventure with Kevlar on a month or so ago and it is a night a day difference. While not a true snow tire, they are rated high for snow and ice and handle much better. I was thinking duratracs but couldn't justify the extra cost and drop in mileage they would likely cause. Mileage is already poor, but that's another thread. 😄
Absolutely, ill post some when I arrive at the dealer! I have pics from the dealer but it's not the same :P. The pirellis are that bad eh.. making me nervous now since i have to drive 16hours through ontario with them. I really don't want to have to spend money to buy new winter tires down there before I leave, especially if i decide to just buy tires/rims and use them all year round. I just want to get some feedback on those options. I never had problems when I rocked my BFGs in winter but they were 285/70/17s, thats a big difference compared to what I would get (305/55/20).
Old 11-30-2014, 04:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pirellis do suck in the snow, never had any issues in the rain. Already ordered Duratracs but they are on back order and have lived through one snow storm with the Pirellis - just need to be extra careful. I just ordered the 275/55/20s and am putting them on my factory rims with the plan of going back to the Pirellis in the spring. I have never changed tires for the winter on any of my my past trucks and usually just run the M&S tires all year round but we get a lot of snow and the Pirellis don't seem to handle it very well.
Old 11-30-2014, 04:33 PM
Project White Fang

Originally Posted by 2014Platinum
Pirellis do suck in the snow, never had any issues in the rain. Already ordered Duratracs but they are on back order and have lived through one snow storm with the Pirellis - just need to be extra careful. I just ordered the 275/55/20s and am putting them on my factory rims with the plan of going back to the Pirellis in the spring. I have never changed tires for the winter on any of my my past trucks and usually just run the M&S tires all year round but we get a lot of snow and the Pirellis don't seem to handle it very well.
ok, that's really good to know. Ill have to drive extra safe on my way back. Hopefully no snow storms will be passing through at the time and the highways are clear. I definitely won't be keeping them in winter then
Old 11-30-2014, 04:38 PM

Received 3,933 Likes on 2,510 Posts

Originally Posted by Black_Thunder
ya my friend has 295s but on 18s. Those are skinnier of a tire though thats why I'm not sure if its the wider tire or just my low tread. I had been using BF goodrich on my stock 17's on my last F150 for winter and then my trail grapplers 305/55/20 in summer but I had them on for a couple late/early snow falls and they weren't to great.
I'd say it had more to do with low tread. 295's are only 10mm skinnier.
Old 11-30-2014, 04:48 PM
FX4RoadWarrior

Received 494 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by Rheimy

Snow and ice they should be illegal to have.
Last year when it had snowed or there was ice i was in 4x4 more than not which is not great for the truck. When in 4x2 the backend felt like it would slide out at any given time in poor conditions.
You are over exaggerating or just a bad driver.
The following 2 users liked this post by tanked_darren:
1994Vmax (11-30-2014), Oldsmuggler (11-30-2014)
Old 11-30-2014, 04:53 PM
Project White Fang

Originally Posted by tanked_darren
You are over exaggerating or just a bad driver.

Quick Reply: Help! Canadians or anyone with snow!?