Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello everyone

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello everyone

Hi everyone,
First time listener, first time caller. What would you do if this was on your truck? It's a black 2012 Fx4. The person that owned it before me put aftermarket flares on it, and they rubbed through the clear. I don't wanna leave them on because it rides on factory wheels, which are too narrow for the flares. I wanna put factory trim back on, but should I look at line-x instead? Or take it to a body shop? Thanks, I'll take your opinions off the air.

Old 05-10-2015, 11:06 PM
Is it Friday Yet?

Received 580 Likes on 440 Posts

Ouch!!!, You are probably better off getting a better set of Wheel Flares and installing those.

The paint scuffs, a buff and new clear coat might fix; However, It is going to be very expensive to fix those drill holes, as they appear to be too far out for the factory flares to cover them!

Couple of people on here have those flares and might be able to chime in with a better answer.
Old 05-10-2015, 11:13 PM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I would take it to a body shop and get it done right.
Old 05-10-2015, 11:14 PM

Really? I thought those holes were from the factory flares. I believe they are inside of where the factory ones would go.

Originally Posted by soaringfalcon
Ouch!!!, You are probably better off getting a better set of Wheel Flares and installing those.

The paint scuffs, a buff and new clear coat might fix; However, It is going to be very expensive to fix those drill holes, as they appear to be too far out for the factory flares to cover them!

Couple of people on here have those flares and might be able to chime in with a better answer.
Old 05-10-2015, 11:17 PM
13' Fx4 Ecoboost

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

the holes are from the stock flares that come on the truck. as far as the stuff on the clear coat i think it would just take a clay bar and some buffing to get it out of the clear coat. looks like youll have to pick up a set of the stock little flares though.
The following users liked this post:
ns_redneck (05-11-2015)
Old 05-10-2015, 11:22 PM

Cool, I might give that a try. It looks like it's through the clear, not on it. I know it seems weird to put the little stock ones back on, but it just looks odd as is with narrow wheels and flares sticking way out.

Originally Posted by Allen K
the holes are from the stock flares that come on the truck. as far as the stuff on the clear coat i think it would just take a clay bar and some buffing to get it out of the clear coat. looks like youll have to pick up a set of the stock little flares though.
Old 05-10-2015, 11:26 PM

Does anyone recommend any flares that are more narrow than these? I think they're the pocket style bushwhacker flares.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:43 AM
13' Fx4 Ecoboost

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i know exactly what you mean, my cousin has a 8in lifted chevy and the big *** 37's are inside the wheel wells. and he still put pocker flares on...looks weird. if it was me id go with the stock flares. and talk to an auto rebuild place...see what they can do. may have to spend a lil $$ but in the end will look flawless. i tried to look online and i couldnt find any more narrow fender flares. too bad they dont make something like on the z71 tahoes...their flares are super tight up against the body.
Old 05-11-2015, 02:21 AM
wait. what?

Received 271 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by 06gtcoop
Does anyone recommend any flares that are more narrow than these? I think they're the pocket style bushwhacker flares.
look into the Bushwacker Extend-a-Fender. they're smooth, no ugly fake rivets and they extend 1.75" over stock which I realize is still a lot, but it wouldn't be as noticeable as the pocket style would be.

if you look up the member DeereGeff on here, he has the Extend-a-Fenders on his black Platinum and they look great. although, his truck is lifted with low offset wheels.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:35 AM

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm thinking about spacers. If I do the 2" ones I can almost get the wheels flush with the outside of the flares. Opinions? That seems to be the cheapest option I've found so far.