Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heavy duty payload vs non heavy Screw ECO

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 06:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Heavy duty payload vs non heavy Screw ECO

To start off I would like to say that I'm now a owner of a new 2012 white Screw ecoboost lariat with the heavy tow package. I did a lot of research on this truck and I would like to pass on my hours of research to you. I own a 5th wheel 800 pin weight 8000 loaded so I was thinking I needed a heavy duty / heavy tow packages. I was lucky that my dealer had one with a heavy payload and max tow and one with just a max tow so I got to compare the two side by side. Not only did I do a side by side comparision but I looked at part numbers as well. This what I found.

Same radiator- the ecoboost already comes with the larger radiator on all packages.

Same rear end- the Eco was tearing up the smaller rearend so all ecoboost have the 9.75. The Heavy payload has a limited slip and a axle with 7lugs. Spline count is the same both 3.73. Non heavy comes with electric locker.

Trans cooler- the heavy payload has a larger oil cooler but not by much and you can change to the bigger cooler with no mods the same bracket is used for both packages.

Frame - the heavy frame comes on 6.5 bed crew cabs with both packages.

Brakes the same on both.

Heavier springs and shocks on the heavy payload package.

7lug rims and e rated tires on heavy payload.

That sums it up not a whole lot differnt if you get a crew cab 6.5 bed with a ecoboost and max tow. Remember I don't care what ford says I looked massured and compared the two side by side along with part numbers. if your get the heavy payload package added to the above truck you get 7 lug rims e rated tires, heavier shocks and springs, a little larger Trans cooler and that's it. I did not look at the bat or alt some say they are differnt.

Last edited by LWFord12; 03-20-2012 at 06:30 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:28 PM
PPPPPuppy Power

Received 887 Likes on 653 Posts

Nice work here.

Let's see the new truck!
Old 03-20-2012, 06:45 PM
Your Ad Here

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by LWFord12
If your get the heavy payload package added to the above truck you get 7 lug rims e rated tires, heavier shocks and springs, a little larger Trans cooler and that's it.

Don't forget the GVWR of 8200lbs.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I came to a very similar conclusion. If you order the "off road" package you even get the same E rated tires. (At least on a non-chrome XLT.)
Old 03-20-2012, 08:05 PM
Heavy Duty

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kjo43
Don't forget the GVWR of 8200lbs.
Or the stiffer suspension = stiffer ride
Old 03-20-2012, 08:20 PM

Yes the ride is diffintly noticeable it rides like a 5/8 ton lol. The reason I went with out the heavy package is one 1800 dollar difference, stiff ride, 7 lug rims, and no eletric locker. I can just add air bags and yes I know that does not change the door badge. I also want to level and add bigger tires so the light tires that are on the truck do not matter to me. I'm sure I did not find every little difference but I looked at the big ticket items.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:07 PM
Official Member: Vast RWC

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by LWFord12
Yes the ride is diffintly noticeable it rides like a 5/8 ton lol. The reason I went with out the heavy package is one 1800 dollar difference, stiff ride, 7 lug rims, and no eletric locker. I can just add air bags and yes I know that does not change the door badge. I also want to level and add bigger tires so the light tires that are on the truck do not matter to me. I'm sure I did not find every little difference but I looked at the big ticket items.

Exactly what i did.... added bags and makes the truck a pleasure to tow.

To OP... one thing you forgot to mention was the tow hitch.... Max tow vs. regular has two different hitch part numbers.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:32 AM

At the end of the day, the increased GVWR of 8200# is worth every one of those $1800 because there is nothing you can do post-factory to change it. You may be able to change certain items to make the trucks mechanically equivalent, but it will never obtain the GVWR in the eyes of the law or your insurance agent, god forbid it comes to this. I needed the 8200# GVWR and felt like ford designed this truck just for me, so I placed my order and am anxiously waiting for delivery day.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by watch3612
At the end of the day, the increased GVWR of 8200# is worth every one of those $1800 because there is nothing you can do post-factory to change it. You may be able to change certain items to make the trucks mechanically equivalent, but it will never obtain the GVWR in the eyes of the law or your insurance agent, god forbid it comes to this. I needed the 8200# GVWR and felt like ford designed this truck just for me, so I placed my order and am anxiously waiting for delivery day.
X2
Old 03-21-2012, 11:20 AM

I understand what you are saying about the increased payload and what the door badge has posted. Yes the state patrol does no care what you have done. the weight on the b post is what you can haul under the law. What pushed me far away was the 7 lug rims go buy a set of 7 lug rims then ask your self is 1800 really the only increase in price. Not to mention I called about four tire places and they need to be special ordered. I lost two rims with a buddy a few years ago on a road trip from a log on the highway. Set us back a few hours but we did not have to wait to order rims. Also the ride sucks and I can use air bags to level the truck. Level not increase the load rating.

Quick Reply: Heavy duty payload vs non heavy Screw ECO