Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated Seat BURNED me.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 08:21 PM

Received 49 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Heated Seat BURNED me.

The last couple of days my driver's side heated seat seemed slightly warmer than normal. I used them every day, so I'm VERY familiar with what they should feel like. Then I noticed that only the seat portion was heated, and the lumber didn't seem to be getting warm. Well, yesterday I'm driving home from work and kick on the heated seat. Within 5 minutes it is so hot I am starting to squirm, so I turn it off, and slid my hand under my leg to feel exactly how hot it was. Well, let me tell you it was hot enough to make me yell a few choice words and almost have a wreck. Then I realized I was smelling what has to be burned leather. The seat looks normal, but now the heated seat has quit functioning altogether even though the switch turns on. The truck is a 2011 FX4 Supercrew, and I just clicked 19K miles. Since I need an oil change, I'm going to have the dealer look into it then, along with the wonky transmission. Anyway, has anyone else had this happen???

I swear I could have cooked an egg on the seat.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:32 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Never had heated seats but I'm sure it will be covered under warranty.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:50 PM
Engineer

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

geeze yeah that's not right. I do hate how the warmers in these trucks take forever to get hot. The one in my Grand Prix would take about 1min and get hot enough to cook your nuts...
Old 02-20-2012, 09:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not a F150 issue, but that same thing happened to my Wifes best friend in her 11 VW Golf. While it was at the dealership getting looked at the heater coil or whatever is used to heat the seats caught the seat on fire.

I wouldn't have believed it actually caught fire had I only been told but I was on shift at the fire station which is located 2 blocks away got the call for the fire in the shop.

I wouldn't use them anymore and get it into FORD before anything happens.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine does this every once in a while. It will get extremely hot, to the point its burning my butt, both driver and pass side do it. Then it will level out and not be so bad. My 98 Dodge Durango used to do the same thing. The F-150 does occationally give me the burning leather smell, I'll probably have it checked out when I take it in for the intermittant 4WD, goofy transmission, rattling front end, and bitchy sync system. I really do love my truck.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:07 AM

Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts

Lawyer up! (j/k)
Old 03-04-2012, 02:59 PM

Update: Parts for the heated seat are on a national back order...hmmmm......interesting.......

Sounds like this may be pretty common. Dealer asked me when I dropped it off, "let me guess, got really hot and then quit working?"

On the upside, they did fix the surging issue in the transmission.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:27 PM

Update: Took the truck in to be fixed. They had it all day. Picked it up, drove off to run some errands. Turned on the heated seat. Doesn't work at all. Checked the passenger seat.....yup, that one doesn't work either now. On top of that, now the dashboard Airbag System Check light is on. Going back to the dealership tomorrow. This is beginning to get irritating.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:35 PM
"Hold My $tone$"

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I feel for ya, dude. Wotta drag. New truck, too!

Heating element went out in my 2000 Buick leSabre limited in '06.

Back then it was a little over $600 for the repair so I don't have them anymore.

After the repair, they never worked the same.

My son drives it now, and the element is burnt up again!!

Quick Reply: Heated Seat BURNED me.