Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlights not working

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 08:39 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Headlights not working

This morning I flipped on my headlights and neither are working, high/low beam.

History:
I changed out the halogen headlights with OEM HID Lamps, Philips bulbs, OSRAM ballasts, and Morimoto wiring harness. Ballast and bulbs are only a few months old.

- I've checked the main power connection at the terminal and where the Morimoto harness connects to the factory harness.
- I've checked both grounds
- I've checked the Morimoto fuse and the fuses for high/low beam (16,17, and 39)

Any other ideas? Could this possibly be an issue with MotoControl relay box?
Old 07-27-2016, 10:28 AM

Received 217 Likes on 179 Posts

Wasn't there issues with the Morimoto harness? I thought they had resolved the issue, though. If both are not working then it has to do with the main harness/MotoControl I would assume.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:28 AM
The Light Guy

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Pull the control box off and check to make sure that there is no corrosion in any of the terminals. I had one where the terminal on the box was loose. The other time I had issues where it had actually melted some plastic into the terminal on the plug. Everything has been good for about 9 months and now my lights are starting to act up again with that control box. I guess they have a new way of controlling all of it but I haven't looked into too much. A lack of time and parts is kind of holding me back at this point of the investigation.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:19 PM

Thanks a lot for the help, guys. I'm going to take the box apart and I'll let you all know if anything looks wrong.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ESB, keep me posted. Exact same situation except my high beams work but my lows do not. The research I did seemed to point out that a new relay would remedy the situation. However how many do I need to purchase to keep them in working order? Sucks.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:40 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Harness

Originally Posted by Raiser6
ESB, keep me posted. Exact same situation except my high beams work but my lows do not. The research I did seemed to point out that a new relay would remedy the situation. However how many do I need to purchase to keep them in working order? Sucks.
I just went through this about 2 weeks ago, I too bought oem hids with the morimoto harness. They worked good for about 10 months them one night after work I had no low beams. So I contacted the retro fit source and they sent me a new control box. While I was waiting for it in the mail my lights worked again on their own. Then once again I had no lows only highs. The new box changed nothing so I found out that where the harness plugs into the oem headlight input, one of the female spades corroded and broke off inside the oem plug. I couldn't get it out and ended up basically destroying the oem plug. The retro fit source sent me a whole new harness free of charge. They also sent me a new connector and new spades to use but they were of very cheap quality and couldn't get the spades in the plug. So I ended up cutting off the factory connector on the drivers side that isn't used and just spliced it in. I made sure to liberally apply dielectric grease to everything and electrical taped the **** out of every connection. Its working again just fine. Hopefully it lasts this time. I will add that I didn't use any grease when I put the first harness in. Hope this helps.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:10 PM

So I checked basically every connection that would affect both lights to not work at all and everything looked fine. I called The Retrofit Source, who I bought them from, and they immediately put in the order to send me a new MC box. I'm very pleased with the customer service, and will let you guys know how the new control box works out.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:55 PM
The Light Guy

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by esb281
So I checked basically every connection that would affect both lights to not work at all and everything looked fine. I called The Retrofit Source, who I bought them from, and they immediately put in the order to send me a new MC box. I'm very pleased with the customer service, and will let you guys know how the new control box works out.
Their customer service is always been out of this world.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ordered a new harness, I will also let you know if it fixes my issue. Panman, appreciate your suggestion as well, PM'd you.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:28 PM

Received 892 Likes on 584 Posts

Yep their customer service is great, but you better order a spare harness, and keep in the truck, because you never know when its going to crap out. I went through 3 and then had enough and put the halogens back in because they suck, but at least they worked when I turned them on.

Quick Reply: Headlights not working