Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight elumination pattern

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 09:01 AM
Okie Coupe

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Default Headlight elumination pattern anomaly

I don't drive my '14 Limited much at night. For the first time, last night I noticed that the pattern of the left headlight is irregular. I don't know how else to describe it but the edge of the actual light where it goes dark has what looks like a irregular pattern compared to the right headlight. Almost like there's something going on with the reflector. Anyone else notice that with your left of right headlight? I guess I'll need to make an appointment at the dealer to have it checked out.

The
anomaly I'm talking about is something that doesn't appear to be normal or something that doesn't looks like it belongs there.

Last edited by shortride; 09-20-2015 at 09:02 AM. Reason: correct spelling
Old 09-17-2015, 09:22 AM

Received 613 Likes on 497 Posts

Default Headlight elumination pattern

Originally Posted by shortride
I don't drive my '12 Limited much at night. For the first time, last night I noticed that the pattern of the left headlight is irregular. I don't know how else to describe it but the edge of the actual light where it goes dark has what looks like a irregular pattern compared to the right headlight. Almost like there's something going on with the reflector. Anyone else notice that with your left of right headlight? I guess I'll need to make an appointment at the dealer to have it checked out.
Both headlights have patterns, the light is lower on the left side (driver side) and higher on the right, reason being you don't shine your lights into drivers eyes on incoming traffic, but your lights still illuminate the road signs in the side of the road
Old 09-17-2015, 10:13 AM

Received 570 Likes on 473 Posts

I don't drive my '12 Limited much at night. For the first time, last night I noticed that the pattern of the left headlight is irregular. I don't know how else to describe it but the edge of the actual light where it goes dark has what looks like a irregular pattern compared to the right headlight. Almost like there's something going on with the reflector. Anyone else notice that with your left of right headlight? I guess I'll need to make an appointment at the dealer to have it checked out.
'12?
I thought you had a '14?

Assuming you meant '14, that means you have the OEM HIDs. There is a defined step down from right to left that is 100% accurate by design. The hotspot should be just below that stepdown in the cutoff. When the highbeams are selected a physical obstruction (called a shield) drops out of the beam to allow full reflective capabilities from the HIDs bowl.

Go here to see output shots:
http://www.raptorretrofit.com/projector-output-shots/
Old 09-17-2015, 10:30 AM
Okie Coupe

Originally Posted by MCDavis
'12?

Assuming you meant '14, that means you have the OEM HIDs. There is a defined step down from right to left that is 100% accurate by design. The hotshot should be just below that step-down in the cutoff. When the high-beams are selected a physical obstruction (called a shield) drops out of the beam to allow full reflective capabilities from the HIDs bowl.

Go here to see output shots:
http://www.raptorretrofit.com/projector-output-shots/
Sorry about that. It is a 2014.

I was afraid I didn't describe the anomaly very well. I understand the left headlight is setup differently than the right. What I'm talking about is a distortion of a portion of the left headlight pattern only in one spot. This leads me to think that there's something wrong with the reflector on the left headlight only. It can clearing be seen when I shine my headlights on a wall at night.

Originally Posted by kidastra
Both headlights have patterns, the light is lower on the left side (driver side) and higher on the right, reason being you don't shine your lights into drivers eyes on incoming traffic, but your lights still illuminate the road signs in the side of the road

Last edited by shortride; 09-17-2015 at 10:32 AM.
Old 09-17-2015, 11:24 AM

Sorry about that. It is a 2014.

I was afraid I didn't describe the anomaly very well. I understand the left headlight is setup differently than the right. What I'm talking about is a distortion of a portion of the left headlight pattern only in one spot. This leads me to think that there's something wrong with the reflector on the left headlight only. It can clearing be seen when I shine my headlights on a wall at night.

Actually the left and right are setup the same, but I think you'd be best posting pictures of what you are describing, if I try to understand distortion I would assume the lens is possibly dirty, causing your distortion. Pics would help us, but a visit to the dealer would probably help you better
Old 09-17-2015, 01:14 PM
Okie Coupe

Originally Posted by kidastra
Actually the left and right are setup the same, but I think you'd be best posting pictures of what you are describing, if I try to understand distortion I would assume the lens is possibly dirty, causing your distortion. Pics would help us, but a visit to the dealer would probably help you better.
Your probably right. A picture might be in order here. There nothing I'm going to be able to do about it myself anyhow. I was only curious as to whether anyone else has seen this.

Thank!
Old 09-17-2015, 01:38 PM

Just a thought, but it could be your bulb not seated correctly in its housing, might be worth checking
Old 09-20-2015, 08:57 AM
Okie Coupe

Ok guys, I finally got around to taking a picture early this morning on the way to eating breakfast. The driving lights are also on.

What do you think?

Old 09-20-2015, 10:23 AM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Need a full frontal view and with driving lights off to be able to tell if anything is not right. Can't see the right side light output.

Here's how the owners manual describes it.

Old 09-20-2015, 03:24 PM

Received 570 Likes on 473 Posts

it would be helpful if this shot was up against a solid wall.

Quick Reply: Headlight elumination pattern