Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Tail Lights – Painting edge?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD Tail Lights – Painting edge?

Just got my HD tails in from our friends @ Tasca. The chrome from the standard issue became an eye sore on the black truck.
However, not a fan of the clear plastic edge that outlines around the housing. Those that have resolved, what type of paint did you use? Krylon Fusion, Nite-Shades, etc?

Last edited by Lidy; 01-13-2011 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Added 2 pics
Old 01-13-2011, 07:22 PM

I'm interested as well, not a fan of the white outline.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did mine with some Nite-Shade. I had the stock tails and did the chrome border but also lapped over on the white plastic. I just posted a thread with some pics
Old 01-13-2011, 08:34 PM

I used a gloss black Rustoleum on my H-D lights a few months ago & posted a few pic's in my "garage". I like them alot better than the stock look...
Scooter
Old 01-13-2011, 08:50 PM

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts

Kind of a follow up question. Did you paint the outer side of the edge? or the underside of it... making it appear darker from the outside? I ask as I wouldnt want a 'visible' edge from what is/isnt painted.

I'm having difficulties searching for the mentioned links from the current system I am on.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:59 PM
Texas Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please let us know which paint and how you did it. I hate the chrome stock ones and haven't been able to decide between the HD tails and red lensed LED tails. The clear plastic shell and "white" edge are the exact reason why I didn't like the HD and was leaning toward the red ones.

This changes everything for me. I am going to get the HD tails now.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:07 PM

Nice timing guys. Your solutions looks good. My concern would be the edge of the paint line too & no room to feather back/blend. Would not be an issue if I clear coat entire lens.
But mixing up some proper 2k clear will bring back nightmares of body work past. lol

Think I’ll try shooting the back edge with Krylon & see how much it darkens. The edges are ripped for strength, so there will be something visible, but might be enough.
If that fails, can always fail back to plan B. That would be 1st coat on outside edge of factory black line, move line inwards & shoot next.

Sounds like a good Friday night project & excuse to heat garage.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Painted the outside edge using a matching color from one of the internet paint mongers, feathered the edge gently and the shot a not so crisp coat of clear. a little polishing and it looks great. I'll try to get a few pictures in the daylight. That white edge was the one thing I hated about the truck--now I love it!!
Old 01-13-2011, 09:24 PM

I just took them off , covered the black plastic on the back, then painted them . What little extra was easy to clean off when I put them back on my truck ( toothpaste works great). Hope this helps "some" .... LoL
Scooter

Quick Reply: HD Tail Lights – Painting edge?