Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GVWR ...had no idea. :-(

Old 11-20-2013, 11:04 AM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default GVWR ...had no idea. :-(

Ive had my EcoBoost 157" 4x4 for almost a year now. Was considering bigger tires, etc...

Anyhow I got to reading and came across someone talking about the yellow sticker in the door stating maximum Cargo and occupants.

Well... Mine says 1233 lbs. I have the double bench option. 4 Boys, wife and 2 American Bulldogs + a Snugtop Sport Hi-Liner.

Boys are still young but they arent getting any lighter.

Right now the humans plus 230 lbs of pups = 930 lbs

I have no idea how much my camper shell weighs. (300 lbs?)

That would equal 1230 lbs. Not to mention my spray in bed liner. (50 lbs?)

Just driving down the road for fun, with NO gear, Im actually overweight.

Depressing.

Am I missing something or am I unfortunately spot on?

Ive loaded it up with camping stuff and coolers, etc.... Feels perfectly fine.

-Bryan
Attached Thumbnails GVWR ...had no idea. :-(-truck.jpg  
Old 11-20-2013, 11:24 AM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Are you talking Payload, Gross Vehicle Weight Rating or the resulting cargo carrying capacity?Take a picture of the sticker.... I know the longer beds differ a little but that seems odd...
Old 11-20-2013, 11:35 AM

Here is the sticker
Attached Thumbnails GVWR ...had no idea. :-(-sticker.jpg  
Old 11-20-2013, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by nickstradamus
Are you talking Payload, Gross Vehicle Weight Rating or the resulting cargo carrying capacity?Take a picture of the sticker.... I know the longer beds differ a little but that seems odd...
Took a look at mine (1430 lbs) and believe that to be tire load info?

If a large concern you could get some higher rated tires. From there it is GVWR math per your owners manual starting around page 252.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:39 AM

Received 482 Likes on 304 Posts

Yup, you are correct. Kind of ridiculous.
The following users liked this post:
Blueoval68gt (11-21-2013)
Old 11-20-2013, 11:42 AM

All of the stickers.
Attached Images  
Old 11-20-2013, 11:45 AM

Received 482 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by nickstradamus
Took a look at mine (1430 lbs) and believe that to be tire load info?

If a large concern you could get some higher rated tires. From there it is GVWR math per your owners manual starting around page 252.
Incorrect. It is a vehicle rating, not a tire rating.

Looking at RAWR, it considers tires, wheels, springs and axle. In my case the limiting factor is the springs. In theory if I upgraded to the springs that are rated a couple hundred pounds more, the limiting factor would then be the wheels (although, also in theory I would gain a couple hundred pounds before I hit that limit).

Not likely that you are going to be limited by the tires. The OEM P-rated tires are probably rated for ~2500lb each (I say probably because I did check once but do not remember exactly).

Just think OP, you could have a RAM rated a couple hundred pounds lower. How many of those do you think are going down the road heavier than the sticker weight?
Old 11-20-2013, 11:46 AM

It drives fine, no issues. I like to follow follow rules and laws when it is in the spirit of safety to my family and others. I cant imagine that a family of six with pups and camper shell is pushing the limits. Just doesn't seem possible to be outside the recommended limits of this truck.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:51 AM

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

***edited a part out as I think I was wrong*** Its very easy to eat up payload on a 1/2 ton w/o the HD Payload package. This is almost always the reason most RV folks go up to a 3/4 ton pickup. Its not the pulling power, its the payload. RVs are tongue heavy (10-15% of their weight is supposed to go on the tongue; the more the better for sway reasons). Sure, my truck can tow 7700 pounds or something like that. And it can if its a utility trailer or maybe a boat. But not a camper, at least not one including my family and some stuff in the bed.

FWIW, the V8 5.0s get slightly more payload; one of the many reasons I chose it. You need the Max Trailer tow package on a EB to get more.

Last edited by s1njin; 11-20-2013 at 02:48 PM. Reason: I was wrong
Old 11-20-2013, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by 11screw50
Incorrect. It is a vehicle rating, not a tire rating. Looking at RAWR, it considers tires, wheels, springs and axle. In my case the limiting factor is the springs. In theory if I upgraded to the springs that are rated a couple hundred pounds more, the limiting factor would then be the wheels (although, also in theory I would gain a couple hundred pounds before I hit that limit). Not likely that you are going to be limited by the tires. The OEM P-rated tires are probably rated for ~2500lb each (I say probably because I did check once but do not remember exactly). Just think OP, you could have a RAM rated a couple hundred pounds lower. How many of those do you think are going down the road heavier than the sticker weight?
That's checks. Mine is a FX4 with a. 5.5 bed and P275/65R18....interesting. I've always tended towards the GVWR but doing the stubby pencil math after your post I see it. Thanks for the add/correction.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GVWR ...had no idea. :-(