Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grinding noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 12:27 PM

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Default Grinding noise

Hi Everyone,

I'm experiencing a very weird problem that probably started about 3000miles ago. At first, I would hear the noise (which to me and the ford tech, is on the front end) at hwy speeds, around 60-70mph. It seemed to only do it at the top of hills when there was some load, or at a certain angle. It was very intermittent at first, and started off only doing it when my 900lbs ATV was on the back. It then started doing it unloaded, and has become increasingly worse.

I brought it into the dealership, and they checked out different things related to 4x4, but said they couldn't find anything. I loaded my snowmobile on the back, and took the tech out for a test drive. I was able to recreate the issue on almost every hill with the correct throttle possition. The tech switched the truck into 4x4, and it makes the same noise there as well. Also, he said he could feel the vibration in my floor on the passenger side, and I can always feel it on the gas pedal. I never feel it in the steering wheel.

The replaced the 4x4 actuators, problem still persists. Everything looks good with the vacuum's and everything for the 4x4. Also, the tech doesn't think its related to the traction control, and that light never turns on. The best way to describe the sound is if you drive on the side of the highway where they have those "wakeup" treads to create noise if someone falls asleep. Its not that loud, but its a grinding noise like that.

Anyone have any "best guesses" on what I can mention to the Ford tech when I bring it back in?

Thanks in advance
Old 01-02-2012, 12:38 PM
Better OUT then IN

Received 253 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by HunterSmitty
Hi Everyone,

I'm experiencing a very weird problem that probably started about 3000miles ago. At first, I would hear the noise (which to me and the ford tech, is on the front end) at hwy speeds, around 60-70mph. It seemed to only do it at the top of hills when there was some load, or at a certain angle. It was very intermittent at first, and started off only doing it when my 900lbs ATV was on the back. It then started doing it unloaded, and has become increasingly worse.

I brought it into the dealership, and they checked out different things related to 4x4, but said they couldn't find anything. I loaded my snowmobile on the back, and took the tech out for a test drive. I was able to recreate the issue on almost every hill with the correct throttle possition. The tech switched the truck into 4x4, and it makes the same noise there as well. Also, he said he could feel the vibration in my floor on the passenger side, and I can always feel it on the gas pedal. I never feel it in the steering wheel.

The replaced the 4x4 actuators, problem still persists. Everything looks good with the vacuum's and everything for the 4x4. Also, the tech doesn't think its related to the traction control, and that light never turns on. The best way to describe the sound is if you drive on the side of the highway where they have those "wakeup" treads to create noise if someone falls asleep. Its not that loud, but its a grinding noise like that.

Anyone have any "best guesses" on what I can mention to the Ford tech when I bring it back in?

Thanks in advance
Tell us about the truck... year, engine ... how its equipped.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by justjimmy
Tell us about the truck... year, engine ... how its equipped.
In my sig, but 2011 Eco, 3.31 r/e, 6.5ft box, 17inch stock tires.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

had the same thing in a 95 t bird. It was the torgue converter. Don't know exactly what they did but it was fixed under warranty.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:03 PM

Thanks for the reponse. The tech replaced a 4x4 actuator on the passenger side, now they want to replace the drivers side. Does this sound right to anyone? Anyone else have any ideas?
Old 01-05-2012, 05:22 PM
RSF

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

I had a wheel bearing on the 04 I had at the time make that type of noise. I progressively got worse over a couple of months. I could feel a vibration in the floor as well.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:16 PM

To me it doesn't feel like a wheel bearing since it only does it at hwy speeds in 6th gear and on rolling hills for the most part. I don't, maybe it could be the torque conveter? Ill metion this to the dealer next week. This, combined with the 6th gear shudder is making this truck annoying to drive.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:31 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like a lack of vacuum causing the IWE's to engage at speed. This happens on the 04-08s, when the one-ways in the vac supply line goes bad. This should not happen when in 4wd though.....
Old 01-05-2012, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like vaccum solenoid, mine went bad at 3000 miles probably bad all along though. you could lock it in but it would not actually engage. I got in some soft sand one day and spun the rear end down and tried to pull out in 4 low and noticed it wasnt locked in. I pulled the vaccum line of the solenoid and hubs engaged.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:20 AM

Received 187 Likes on 135 Posts

Default Short grinding noise in 6th higway

What was the outcome of this? Mine started doing this yesterday and today. 2011 Eco 3.55/LS 4x4 Scab

Quick Reply: Grinding noise