Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS Mount and Location

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 09:02 PM

Received 65 Likes on 28 Posts

Default GPS Mount and Location

Just wanted to share with everyone a great GPS mount and dash location in case anyone was interested.

It's a MounTek mount and I placed it in the crevice of the panel around the instrument cluster and the air vent. It creates a bit of a gap on the panel as you can see but it's something I can live with.
Attached Thumbnails GPS Mount and Location-imag0263.jpg   GPS Mount and Location-imag0264.jpg  
Old 03-04-2014, 08:48 PM

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Mounted mine using the hole where the 4x4 control would have been.
Attached Thumbnails GPS Mount and Location-image-3703501394.jpg  
Old 03-05-2014, 02:43 AM

Received 698 Likes on 442 Posts

A cautionary note: it's not good to take your eyes off the road, but where you've mounted your GPSs, you have to take your eyes WAY off the road. Plus, they are in the way (even if just slightly) of operating something on your dash.

In states where there are "distracted driving" laws, this might expose you to a roadside visit from your local LEO.

Take the advice and observation in the manner in which it was intended: concern for YOU guys...

Not for everyone, but here's mine (in the truck the old GPS on my motorcycle)
Attached Thumbnails GPS Mount and Location-dsc_0063.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 03-05-2014, 03:32 AM

Mine is mounted right next to the speedometer so I would argue that it's not taking my eyes off of the road any more than yours is.

Is that a GPS mount above your Nav LCD?
Old 03-06-2014, 12:36 AM

Received 698 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by armymp
Mine is mounted right next to the speedometer so I would argue that it's not taking my eyes off of the road any more than yours is.
OK. But bear in mind that most people only give a glancing look at a speedo, whereas a GPS takes a bit of study to extrapolate the wanted/needed information.

I've been using automotive GPSs since 2001 (their relative 'public use' infancy), and I still make sure mine is/are mounted such that my eyes' peripheral vision is still on the road. 13 years and I have yet to have a safety issue. I hope you never do as well...

Originally Posted by armymp
Is that a GPS mount above your Nav LCD?
Yes it is. My MFT screen does not have nav (I refuse to pay $200 per update. Plus, with my Garmin 665, I can move it to any vehicle I want... motorcycle; wife's car; rental car, whatever)
Old 03-06-2014, 06:39 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

My Android phone speaks the directions. No need to look at anything or mount anything.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:20 AM

Received 374 Likes on 228 Posts

I have a big GPS - 7". I toss the bag type mount in the upper/center dash tray, and it falls perfectly in my lower line of sight. The top edge is in line with the leading edge of my hood, so it doesn't block any view. It's nice when someone is riding in the back seat, and wants to mess with it to find something. I can grab it off the dash and hand it to them in the back. Sometimes they set it on the center console lid. I like seeing all these other ways you guys mount them. They all look great!
The following 2 users liked this post by Ford850:
Ole Man Dan (03-06-2014), USAntigoon (10-13-2014)
Old 03-06-2014, 07:37 AM

Received 173 Likes on 116 Posts

i put mine right in front of me glued to the windshield, 21" screen, I never miss a turn
Old 03-06-2014, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by STingray1300
OK. But bear in mind that most people only give a glancing look at a speedo, whereas a GPS takes a bit of study to extrapolate the wanted/needed information.

I've been using automotive GPSs since 2001 (their relative 'public use' infancy), and I still make sure mine is/are mounted such that my eyes' peripheral vision is still on the road. 13 years and I have yet to have a safety issue. I hope you never do as well...

Yes it is. My MFT screen does not have nav (I refuse to pay $200 per update. Plus, with my Garmin 665, I can move it to any vehicle I want... motorcycle; wife's car; rental car, whatever)
Like a speedometer I only glance at my GPS as well as it speaks turn by turn directions for me. My speedometer doesn't.

I understand your concern is everyone's well-being and that is appreciated but I can assure you that I take a careful approach to everything I do.

I personally wouldnt put mine where yours is because it looks to obstruct line of sight curbside. My fear would be not seeing a youngster crossing the road. Know what I mean?
Old 03-06-2014, 10:51 AM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by Rugger
Mounted mine using the hole where the 4x4 control would have been.
That's actually where the factory trailer brake controller goes Your coin holder is where the factory 4x4 switch goes

And just FYI Stingray, the Nav updates aren't $200 a year. You can certainly go to a dealer and get ripped off for that if you want, but not necessary. The MFT system Nav is a SD card and all you have to do is buy the newer version if an update ever is available. I have already done this for my wifes Explorer. New Ford genuine SD card with the current map for just over $50 bucks. Ford doesn't release new ones every year either so it might be that much every couple years at most.
The following users liked this post:
MCDavis (03-06-2014)

Quick Reply: GPS Mount and Location