Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a Free Back Glass Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 10:07 AM
IT nerd geek DORK NERD

Received 112 Likes on 74 Posts

Default Got a Free Back Glass Replacement

So I called about 2 weeks ago to have my back glass replaced under warranty for the third time. (On a quick side note...once this sucker is out of warranty I'll either just live with it, OR will replace with a flat back glass.)

I went in, and I got the standard tap dance about how "the DEFROSTER is what's under warranty....but it's attached to the back glass, which is NOT under warranty." So I prepared to take it in the shorts. The guy tells me "Let me get back to you after I did some research."

Last Friday he calls me back, and told me that they'd reviewed my record and saw how I'd had it replaced 2x; and that frankly, it shouldn't be happening that much.

Long story short - the dealership told me they had their own discretionary funding account, and that they would pay for me to have the window replaced out of their own pockets. They agreed that yes, it was under warranty; but that they couldn't find the correct information to back up what the brochure says; and that their upline wasn't much help.

I can't complain about that; good to know some dealerships out there still value customer service. Kudos to Sellers Sexton Ford.
Old 06-21-2019, 11:15 PM

Received 221 Likes on 130 Posts

That's awesome, man! I'm glad it worked out well for you, and props to the dealer for stepping up.

Now....the technician in me is asking....what the hell is causing this to fail so often?!?

Tim
Old 06-24-2019, 09:47 AM
IT nerd geek DORK NERD

Frankly I don't know. I've seen all sorts of posts about it; obviously poor design of some sort, but WHERE the failure is occurring I am not sure.

I can tell you this, though - having had it replaced 3x, when the time comes, I'll do one of the following:

- ignore the rear defroster (lol)
- replace it with a flat back glass
- see if someone makes an aftermarket quality version of this

I don't have time OR money to pay $900 every year or two when it fails.
The following users liked this post:
UlrichWolf (06-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 11:04 AM

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,725 Posts

-Put it on your insurance.
-Unhook the ground for the window so you can still use the mirror defrost.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:35 AM
IT nerd geek DORK NERD

Originally Posted by Spiky
-Put it on your insurance.
-Unhook the ground for the window so you can still use the mirror defrost.
It was replaced for free, so I'm not too worried about it this time; next time, absolutely.

And yeah, if I can just unhook the ground and have the mirror defroster work in the future, I'll likely do just that.
Old 06-25-2019, 09:41 AM
none.

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

I had the same issue and my service writer did the same for me. The electrode in the bottom corner would become fatigued. The service writer said that he used to have access to a repair kit, but they aren't available anymore. So, he has to replace the glass since the defroster is attached!
Old 06-25-2019, 09:57 AM

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,725 Posts

Originally Posted by Kung
It was replaced for free, so I'm not too worried about it this time; next time, absolutely.

And yeah, if I can just unhook the ground and have the mirror defroster work in the future, I'll likely do just that.
Specifically, I meant use zero-deductible glass coverage, it covers the rear glass. It's usually pretty inexpensive compared to warranties or straight repair costs, even over time. And yes, if you unhook the ground on the drivers side it breaks the circuit for the rear defrost, but keeps the mirrors and button light functional. Some have unhooked the positive side wires, but that makes the light on the dash button not work. Ground is better if you want to shut it off.

And I was just adding to your list of choices, really.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:02 AM
IT nerd geek DORK NERD

Originally Posted by Spiky
Specifically, I meant use zero-deductible glass coverage, it covers the rear glass. It's usually pretty inexpensive compared to warranties or straight repair costs, even over time. And yes, if you unhook the ground on the drivers side it breaks the circuit for the rear defrost, but keeps the mirrors and button light functional. Some have unhooked the positive side wires, but that makes the light on the dash button not work. Ground is better if you want to shut it off.

And I was just adding to your list of choices, really.
Oh hey, I totally appreciate it man *thumbs up* - I wasn't butthurt at all by your suggestion(s). Was just explaining why I didn't go that route this time. When a) it's out of warranty AND b) the dealership says "tough" (LOL) then I'll likely do exactly as you're suggestion.

Quick Reply: Got a Free Back Glass Replacement