Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armour vs Hankook RF10

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 11:30 PM

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armour vs Hankook RF10

I want to replace my 275/55R20 Pirelli Scorpion's on my 2010 Lariat with some better tires.

I don't off road, occasional gravel, mostly highway driving.
I tow a camping trailer (only 3000 lbs) in the summer.

We get snow here (Great White North - Calgary Alberta) in the winter so I need a tire that works well in the snow as well.
I don't want to be bothered with summer and winter tires.
I want one tire.

Doing research online and talking to a couple of mechanics, seems the Silent Armour and the RF10's would be my best choice.

As I do a lot of highway driving, the Nitro's are out (too much road noise).

Looking for opinions from those that have tried either or both of these or feel free to add any opinion you like.

Thanks!
Old 10-25-2011, 12:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've used both of these tires on my 2004 FX4 which were 18" tires. I thought the Silent Armor tires were very good. When I went to replace the Silent Armors I wanted something a little less expensive because I wasn't sure how long I was going to keep the truck so I tried the Hankooks. The Hankooks road as good as the Silent Armors and were probably a little quieter. The only thing I didn't like about the Hankooks is the side wall didn't seem as stiff as the Goodyears which affected the handling of the vehicle, especially when towing. Both tires are good, but I would prefer the Silent Armors.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:09 AM

Received 49 Likes on 24 Posts

Don't have either tire, but I go to tirerack.com and look at the type I need and look at the surveys and review on tires to make a selection.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:11 AM

Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts

Look at the tire reviews and articles on propickupmag.com. In their latest magazine issue (you can see the digital version on the site), they did an article on a few different snow tires. I believe one they talked about/tested was the Goodyear Silent Armors if I remember correctly
Old 10-25-2011, 12:26 AM

Received 531 Likes on 395 Posts

I had the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armour on my previous 2008 Sport Trac and absolutely hated these tires. I had nothing but problems with vibrations because a couple of them were out of round. Did get them replaced with warranty but went through hell in the process.

I was also very disappointed in the winter performance. They didn't do any better than the Goodyear all season tires did. A complete waste of money.

I love the Off Road Michelin tires that came with the F150. These are really awesome tires. They are the Michelin LTX A/T 2. I also love the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo. I had them on my 2000 Xterra 4WD and they are a great tire. Those are the two I would recommend and I would strongly recommend against the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armour tires.

Last edited by Mike Up; 10-25-2011 at 12:28 AM.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:39 AM

Received 105 Likes on 80 Posts

I just put on a set of RF 10s this week.
Took the Pirellis off road a bit and found them lacking so they had to go...
The Pirellis only had 10k kms,tire shop gave me $75 a tire for em.
20" tires are not cheap up here,be prepared to pay $300 plus a tire and selection sucks!
the Hankooks look good,ride nice on the pavement,and have a fair bit of siping for the winter.
I hate Goodyear tires in general but have never owned the silent armors.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:47 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I had silent armors on my 7500 lbs superduty, and they were amazing. Only thing I didn't like was the price. They are blizzard rated, and the chp would let me up on the local mountains without chains. They never slipped on the snow, and I only put it in 4wd twice, as they were good enough on my truck to run on 2wd. They were also very stable and quiet. The po had put the second set on just before I bought it, and raved about them. I towed a 32' toyhauler loaded to bear, with a bed full of firewood and a quad too, probably crossing at least 20,000 lbs.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:31 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I had Silent Armors on my '05 and put 40k on them before I sold the truck. I thought they were a very good all terrain. They handled good, were pretty quiet (more so than Goodrich KO) and seemed to wear very good with a lot of mileage left when I parted ways with the truck. Snow and light mud traction was very good also.

Now on my '09 I'm running Firestone Destination A/T which are proving to be just as good as the Goodyears only a bit cheaper. Both tires are 6 ply and both tires are about as smooth and quiet as the stock tires the truck came with. I would recommend the Firestone's to anyone who wants a good solid all terrain that won't break the bank. They also rate very high at Tire Rack.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm planning on buying SIlent Armors for my next set. After some research, they are better in every regard than the standard OEM wranglers. Doesn't get much more obvious than being better in snow and also quieter. The dual grooved inner tread pattern makes it obviously a good snow tire.

Last edited by minnemike; 10-25-2011 at 03:54 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:49 PM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by crashcarruthers
Don't have either tire, but I go to tirerack.com and look at the type I need and look at the surveys and review on tires to make a selection.
Ditto.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...ll&sortValue=1
For All-Terrains available in 275/55-20 the Firestone Destination A/T and SilentArmor are rated the top two. The Silent Armor might be very slightly better in winter (and has the Severe Snow Rating snowflake) but Firestones are rated better in just about every other category (esp. treadware, comfort, noise).

The Hankook ATm (RF10) all-terrain is not rated. Too new?

And for Highway All-Season tires, the Michelin LTX M/S2 beats everything out there. It even beats the Goodyear Fortera TripleTread in winter ratings and the TripleTread has the Severe Snow Rating snowflake.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...l&sortValue=16

Quick Reply: Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armour vs Hankook RF10