Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to go with full synthetic and 5,000 mile intervals -- any opinions on this?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 10:34 PM
Retired and loving it!

Received 536 Likes on 398 Posts

Default Going to go with full synthetic and 5,000 mile intervals -- any opinions on this?

I am thinking that with the superior lubricating properties and cleansing properties of a full synthetic, I am going to pony up for the extra expense at my oil change tomorrow and then go to a 5K interval for changes.
I have 3,500 miles right now on my regular oil and it still looks like the day it went in.
I have 5K on the truck and am going to change the oil every 5K from now on.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:39 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Why change it so often? Follow what's in the owner's manual or put full synthetic in and go a little further. I usually end up changing mine every 7,000 miles or so which happens about every 8 months.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:00 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Ya exactly why so early? A good full synthetic is good fro at least 7000 miles. Hell merc. benz oil change interval is up to 20,000. The ford factory oil change interval is 7500 miles so I am wondering why you want to go for full synthetic and change sooner. I can not remember were I read this but on average americans change their oil way to soon. I would suggest getting it tested and then change it based off of that
Old 12-27-2010, 11:01 PM
Retired and loving it!

Received 536 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by ftrucktough
Why change it so often? Follow what's in the owner's manual or put full synthetic in and go a little further. I usually end up changing mine every 7,000 miles or so which happens about every 8 months.
Much of the time for the truck's first two years we are going to be towing a 32 foot TT......severe usage, I am sure.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:08 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by sterlingone
Much of the time for the truck's first two years we are going to be towing a 32 foot TT......severe usage, I am sure.
Well there ya go. Then 5000 miles might be more about right. This just goes to show there is no perfect golden mileage to always change your oil at. It all depends on a number of factors.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I doing the exact small thing: Synthetic oil every 5k.

I plan on having the truck awhile and don't mind over-maintaining it.

If you take care of your stuff, it's cheaper in the long run.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:13 AM

Received 366 Likes on 284 Posts

depends on the oil, Ive been using a brand called Schaeffers and went for 6700 miles, changed it and took a sample and sent it in and they told me to go way longer next time. Some people I know running that brand go 15,000 miles on gas and over 10,000 on diesel, but I personally agree with wizbang, and I change it far more often than what they recommend. Weather or not this actually gains me anything in the long run I do not know, but I will spend the extra money and take the chance that it does.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:23 AM
Okie Coupe

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by sterlingone
I am thinking that with the superior lubricating properties and cleansing properties of a full synthetic, I am going to pony up for the extra expense at my oil change tomorrow and then go to a 5K interval for changes.
I have 3,500 miles right now on my regular oil and it still looks like the day it went in.
I have 5K on the truck and am going to change the oil every 5K from now on.
Because none of us are experts on engine oils, I will weigh in also with an opinion.

If you want to read some fairly heated debates about using full synthetic oil, go over to the Harley Davidson Forums.

I've been using full synthetic oil almost as long as it's been on the commercial market. I put 211,000 on a 1994 Honda Goldwing using full synthetic.

If you plan on putting high mileage on any vehicle and don't mind spending the extra bucks, full synthetic oil is the way to go. Some are of the opinion that you can go longer between oil changes with full synthetic oil. That is not true. You will never find any oil experts that will tell you that full synthetics should be left in an engine for longer period than conventional oil.

The only way anyone will be able to tell the difference between the use of conventional oil and full synthetic after high miles is to break the engine down and measure each of the internal ware components.

If you don't put many miles on a vehicle then you probably should not consider using full synthetic oil because of the added cost.

In some cases, there has been valid reports of better fuel mileage using full synthetic.

The news this morning reported that we may see $5 per gallon in the US within the next 2 years.

Last edited by shortride; 12-28-2010 at 08:23 AM.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:15 AM

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

I use full synthetic and am on and every 5000 miles or so schedule. May run it to 6000 but just can't make myself go to 7500. If I wasn't afraid someone would chastise me, I would ask if you can change the oil change interval on your "oil life indicator" to 5000 miles.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:42 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

I use full synthetic and change the oil based on the oil life monitor.

Quick Reply: Going to go with full synthetic and 5,000 mile intervals -- any opinions on this?