Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going down a hill. No engine braking in first gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 06:17 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Going down a hill. No engine braking in first gear

(manual first gear) It seems to actually shift at 2k rpm and offers very little engine braking. I tried the same hill in Tow/haul mode and couldn't tell any difference. Dang my car does better than this.
Does your truck do this?
2010 5.4 6 speed auto
Have observed no other problems with trans.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:52 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess every F150 owner (but me) on this forum only drives on flat land...
Old 03-12-2010, 01:31 AM
New F-150 Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe some of us don't kick it down to first gear, and maybe some of us live in areas that there are no mountains...is it really that hard to believe?
Old 03-12-2010, 01:19 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

i use the foot break when i go down hills but ofcourse im not a big rig going down a steep grade. and i live in oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:28 PM
Let the Fun Begin

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

Why not use "tow mode" ?
Old 03-12-2010, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Back in October, I had my truck out hunting and took it off roading for the first time. There was a rather steep, dirt/rocky hill that I had gone up, turned around, and had to come back down. I was in 4X4 low but don't remember if I had the diff locked or not (probably not). I slowly crested the hill and began the descent, finding that the truck was not picking up speed going down the hill. It seemed to be engine braking on its own, or had some type of hill descent control (I don't recall reading this anywhere). The moment I touched the brakes, whatever was controlling the descent unlocked, and I now had to brake the rest of the way down the hill or I would go way too fast.

I haven't had the opportunity to try to repeat it.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In that situation, try double tapping the break. The engine brake should then engage. I live on the top of a mountain, so I know what your going through.
The following users liked this post:
Rustell (06-21-2022)
Old 09-11-2010, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Resurrection of this thread - similar thing happens to me

I just got back from doing some driving on steep logging roads.

Seemed like if the engine & transmission was cold, starting out going down hill with the selector in first gear that the transmission would go for about 2 seconds in first, then shift to at least second, rev the engine up to 4000 rpm as we free wheeled down the mountain (well it felt like we were free wheeling). I would have to ride the brakes all the way down, only about 1/2 mile.

Never did go down when the engine was warmed up so don't know if this situation was because of the cold engine & transmission. BUT I think it was because going down some steep passes, if I put it in first it would slow way down (10 - 15 mph) and I would have to up-shift to second or third to get to the 25 mph for the curves.

Anyone have more input on this phenomena?
Old 09-11-2010, 08:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have never had issues with the 4x4 low goin down hill it slowly crept down the hill until I hit the gas then it took off and I had to press the brakes, but once it shifted back to 1st it stuck the truck at a wonderful descent at 3-5 mph, I could stop then release the brakes no issues. 4x4 hi it acted like it does in 2wd........... just like every other 4x4 vehicle I have owned. Remember it WANTS to go to 6th gear even in 4x4 hi, I know the op said he was in manual 1st I havent tried this going down hill, but around town it would act like a normal manual in 1st reving way up and brakeing wonderfully. hope this helps, I do agree that if you are creeping down a hill in 4x4 low and press the gas hold on to your hat, once the trans gets out of 1st it has considerably less engine brakeing.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:22 PM
Bye F150, hello F250

Received 92 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by WindLight
(manual first gear) It seems to actually shift at 2k rpm and offers very little engine braking. I tried the same hill in Tow/haul mode and couldn't tell any difference.
I was towing my 5th wheel trailer and the seadoo behind it, about 15,100 lbs overall, coming down a large hill (Hamilton Mountain near Stoney Creek). I was in tow mode, double tapped the brakes, and used engine compression all the way down, never touching the brakes until a red light at the bottom. Copped dude pulled up beside me and gave me the thumbs up actually.

So IMHO, the engine braking scores 10 out of 10 here.

Quick Reply: Going down a hill. No engine braking in first gear