Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Functionality of the 4'' and 6'' suspension lifts?

Old 09-09-2011, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Functionality of the 4'' and 6'' suspension lifts?

Hey guys, noob question..(just send me the link to the thread if this is a repost, apologize if it is)

I've decided to give myself the christmas present of a suspension lift and new rims and tires !IF! I can pay off all my credit card debt and save enough money by then..

Anyways, im not to familiar with truck after market..ive come to trucks from a mustang last year with a 4x2 and now a couple months ago i traded for the '11 FX4..

1) So my questions are what are the pros and cons of the suspension lifts?

2) Is suspension travel shorter,longer or the same?

3) Do you have to weld or cut on anything? (i keep reading back and forth that you do and some say you dont)

4) Are your offroad capabilities cut short or made to handle better?(obviously clearance will be a tid bit higher lol)

5) What are the major/minor risk for the short term and long term life of the truck?(i understand that you should recalibrate your electronics for the new set up?)

probably will have more questions the more i think about it but i think these are most of my more important ones...

thanks for every that responds!
Old 09-09-2011, 12:10 PM

Lol nobody?..I thought this would be a legit question!
Old 09-09-2011, 12:24 PM

Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Geritgoul
Hey guys, noob question..(just send me the link to the thread if this is a repost, apologize if it is)

I've decided to give myself the christmas present of a suspension lift and new rims and tires !IF! I can pay off all my credit card debt and save enough money by then..

Anyways, im not to familiar with truck after market..ive come to trucks from a mustang last year with a 4x2 and now a couple months ago i traded for the '11 FX4..

1) So my questions are what are the pros and cons of the suspension lifts?

2) Is suspension travel shorter,longer or the same?

3) Do you have to weld or cut on anything? (i keep reading back and forth that you do and some say you dont)

4) Are your offroad capabilities cut short or made to handle better?(obviously clearance will be a tid bit higher lol)

5) What are the major/minor risk for the short term and long term life of the truck?(i understand that you should recalibrate your electronics for the new set up?)

probably will have more questions the more i think about it but i think these are most of my more important ones...

thanks for every that responds!
1. Pros your higher. And better capabilities. Con voids the suspension warranty. But should be warranty from the lift company.

2 longer

3.I didn't cut anything. Some do some
Don't

4. I have better handle off road than stock does.

5. Don't really affect the life of the truck. Just the tires come to be expensive.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:26 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Welcome to the forums young noob. Before beginning any posting journey I recommend a generous helping of search. Search builds healthy bodies, minds and contains all your days B vitmins!

But enough of that.

1. Pros and cons vary depending on the lift you select, tires etc. General pros are more ground clearance (although for more axle clearance generally the lift allows what give you the most clearance which is bigger wheels and tires), the aforementioned ability to fit up to a 37" tire with a 6" lift like BDS and the not to be underestimated "bad *** factor". As a former follower of the pony cars I am sure you are familiar with this...
Cons can be rougher ride, taller center of gravity (easier to roll) and loss of warranty coverage if your dealer is a dick. There are many more of both but these are off the top of my head.

2. Depends. Each kit does essentially the same thing but it does in in a different way depending on the parts.

3. Both yes and no are right. Some kits like the BDS require cutting, others dont. Best advice is download the instructions for the kits you like and read them. Then you know for sure.

4. No your off-road capabilities arent cut short. More ground clearance, bigger tires etc. On road sometimes you get a rougher ride from some kits but many manufacturers are trying to fix this (Rancho guarantees their 4" kit will maintain OEM specs and not affect your RSC system and other OEM electronics for example)

5. Well in a word warranty. You just bought a new truck with a 3 yr bumper to bumper warranty and 5 year powertrain. If your dealer is a dick then it can hose you if something fails. But some dealers even install these on new trucks as a selling feature so check around and find a good one. Electronics only comes in with recalibration for larger than OEM tires. With a 2011 do you have the electronic power steering? Pushing bigger tires around might put more stress on the system. Turning bigger tires might be a chore for stock gearing if you have the 3.73 you might want to upgrade to 4.10 if you go for full 37" tires I mean the list goes on and on.

Bottom line. Find a lift kit you like. Read the instructions to see what it involves. And then get specific questions on here answered rather than generalities once you have searched for members who have that setup. Plenty of guys/gals on here have lifts and can offer info on specific questions for certain setups.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Geritgoul
Lol nobody?..I thought this would be a legit question!
HAHAHA I was writing the next great american novel and HK beat me to it...
Old 09-09-2011, 12:28 PM

Depending on how much lift you put on it it will affect your gas mileage and how safe it is on the road. The more lift you have the higher the center of gravity and the likelihood of it rolling over.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by VolFire

HAHAHA I was writing the next great american novel and HK beat me to it...
Haha u went more in to depth. Than I did.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:29 PM

[QUOTE="blackbeautyf150"]Depending on how much lift you put on it it will affect your gas mileage and how safe it is on the road. The more lift you have the higher the center of gravity and the likelihood of it rolling over.[/QUOTE

Lol have to be a dumb idiot to roll your truck lifted. It's common sense not to take a corner fast. Lol
Old 09-09-2011, 12:37 PM

Well if you do need to take a turn fast in a bad situation its just a good idea to keep in mind it's not gonna handle like stock. Just something to keep in mind.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:42 PM

Yeah that is how they found the initial rollover problem years ago with the Isuzu Trooper, taking evasive actions in an emergency. Try and swerve around an accident/pedestrian/etc and it will getcha. But that is where our wider trucks help out. Less likely than a tall narrow SUV too...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Functionality of the 4'' and 6'' suspension lifts?