Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full Header/Exhaust System

Old 07-27-2011, 12:29 PM
09 F150 4x4

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Full Header/Exhaust System

Hey guys I'm looking to replace my entire system, headers back. I hit something on the interstate that ended up bending by crossmember and left cat just enough to cause an exhaust leak. Its small but noticeable, So I'm looking to replace everything back and getting it done right. I was wanting some opinions on what to do. I know stainless works has one heck of a system that i would say is top notch but.. it is pricey for me. I just don't exactly what to do. I prolly will have to replace the left cat unless i can bend it back, its not that bad, but that pipe is a thick ole pipe. Anyway hope this helps explaining what i'm looking for. once again i DO want to keep cats in it wether they are high flow or reg
Old 07-27-2011, 12:35 PM
Retired and loving it!

Received 536 Likes on 398 Posts

Many members here have replaced their mufflers only --- you can do a search for that information...........however, keep in mind that if you go headers too, that is going to change the entire equation for you as far as if you are going to get drone, or the system is just going to be too loud overall.
Headers make any muffler a LOT louder, and I am not sure how many folks here have done a whole system like you are proposing............best of luck in your decision process here, and i hope it turns out liveable for you.........
Old 07-27-2011, 12:55 PM
09 F150 4x4

the only reason i was looking at headers was mainly because i was going to probably have to replace the cat and figured if i put long tubes on i would elminate buyin a new cat but it would be cheaper just to keep everything stock i suppose. just want to see my options
Old 07-27-2011, 01:11 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Just make sure if you delete the cats you will still pass any emissions standards that your state has. My buddy put long tube headers on the Beast (1986 F350 460 Big Block) and if it wasnt for the "antique vehicles" provision in the VA code he would have been screwed on emissions after he opened that sucker up. I know it is apples and oranges as far as the tech 1986 vs 2009 but with the size of the particulate increase he saw you are going to see some as well. We have to get tested every 2 years here to make sure we are legal...
Old 07-27-2011, 01:25 PM
09 F150 4x4

yea, even though IL has some of the strictest laws with vehicles. i've never had to pass or test anything so thats not a concern. hell i dunno what to do, lol
Old 06-25-2017, 07:11 PM

Anybody know a good header and exhaust system that IS emissions legal. I won't say money is no object, but the less I spend on exhaust, the less I can spend on more mods.

I have a 2011 Scab, 5.0, 4x4, JLT CAI, SCTX4 with custom dyno tune, new coils, and true duals with stock manifolds. I plan on changing out the headers and possibly the intake and throttle body. I would welcome any suggestions. Thanks.

I don't care if it is actually street legal, just has to pass the computer when they plug in the OBD2 at the testing station.

Last edited by tim2011f150; 06-25-2017 at 07:17 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:06 PM

Received 211 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by tim2011f150
Anybody know a good header and exhaust system that IS emissions legal. I won't say money is no object, but the less I spend on exhaust, the less I can spend on more mods.

I have a 2011 Scab, 5.0, 4x4, JLT CAI, SCTX4 with custom dyno tune, new coils, and true duals with stock manifolds. I plan on changing out the headers and possibly the intake and throttle body. I would welcome any suggestions. Thanks.

I don't care if it is actually street legal, just has to pass the computer when they plug in the OBD2 at the testing station.
Kooks has nice headers and they have a "green" catted y pipe that matches up to the long tubes. The y pipe is pricey but is 49 state legal. I have Kooks long tubes with the race catted y pipe and I struggled passing emissions. Actually I failed 4 times but I'm good now. I gained right at 20hp/20 ft lb of tq and it was pretty much through the majority of the power band. I'm very happy with them.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:15 PM

Received 211 Likes on 174 Posts

Headers make any muffler a LOT louder, and I am not sure how many folks here have done a whole system like you are proposing............best of luck in your decision process here, and i hope it turns out liveable for you.........[/quote]

Fwiw my headers didn't really change my exhaust note at all.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Full Header/Exhaust System