Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel door spring broke f150 2009

Old 03-22-2011, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel door spring broke f150 2009

Recently I went to fill up and the spring on the fuel door broke causing the fuel door to flap in the wind and not stay closed. Of course I just hit 37k miles. The dealer said they wouldn't cover the replacement even with the extended warranty. Total cost to fix was $130. Has anyone had this happen? I did contact ford directly and after 4 calls, they did decide to cover the cost.

The repair took about 20 minutes and the part was $40. They did use my existing door so the paint would match.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:18 PM

Location: After 20 + years in the foothills of the Sierras; I am now [back] in the south-end of Sunny SoCal!
Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by ttown2009KR
Recently I went to fill up and the spring on the fuel door broke causing the fuel door to flap in the wind and not stay closed. Of course I just hit 37k miles. The dealer said they wouldn't cover the replacement even with the extended warranty. Total cost to fix was $130. Has anyone had this happen? I did contact ford directly and after 4 calls, they did decide to cover the cost.

The repair took about 20 minutes and the part was $40. They did use my existing door so the paint would match.

I had the exact same issue about two months ago on my '09, at about 22k miles!!

I went to fill up and the door flopped right into my hand.

I drove right down to the dealer where they diagnosed the problem, told me it would be a day or two to get the part in from San Francisco or Oakland, and they would call me.

Went in a couple of days later and it took 30 mins. to make the repair; and yes, there is a little plastic catch which holds the painted door cover to the swing arm, wherein you depress the clip and it slides off.

Covered under warranty, no questions asked!!
Old 03-22-2011, 08:01 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

No surprise, the difference between 37000 miles and 22000; one is in warranty the other not.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:55 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi
Mine broke yesterday, it made just a kind of "pop up" sound, the door fuel still there but it moves free.
Truck is already out of warranty, so i suppose to expect paying something like 130?
Old 07-16-2011, 11:12 PM

Location: After 20 + years in the foothills of the Sierras; I am now [back] in the south-end of Sunny SoCal!
Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by vfuentes
Hi
Mine broke yesterday, it made just a kind of "pop up" sound, the door fuel still there but it moves free.
Truck is already out of warranty, so i suppose to expect paying something like 130?

Interesting.

Yes, once they have the part, it shouldn't be more than 30 mins. labor; not sure how much the part was because mine was under warranty.

Again, it goes back to those sub-contractor parts producers/suppliers, cutting corners and maybe supplying a part which is not up to the full spec' supplied by Ford?

Don't forget, they do not have to replace the painted cover, it slides off the hinge after depressing the catch where they mate together.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:11 PM

Default 28500 miles with the same issue

After reading this thread, I'll try the warrenty route first. I was thinking about just getting a better fuel cover (Chrome) to replace this one, but I haven't found one for this year model. I'm finding there are a lot of gaps in accessories for the 2009.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:50 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I replaced the hinge & bowl twice in 11 months on my '09 FX4.

What I noticed while examining the "broken" unit was you can push the hinge and reset it and it works fine again. No need to replace it if you can reach up behind somehow and reset it without removing it.

Beware, on both occasions the same dealer jacked up the paint on the edge of the body panel by prying against it to remove the hinge bowl. The service manager and myself warned the tech beforehand but he still f'ed it up.

Dealer provided a freebie rental car while the paint shop airbrushed and buffed the edges back to normal. Bozos.
The following users liked this post:
Chet Havlick (10-19-2012)
Old 04-26-2012, 09:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is my first post guys. I have searched as many different ways as I can think of and this thread is the closest to my issue but not an exact match. Maybe you can point me in the right direction.
My fuel door is also flopping loose on my 2009 SFE. I looked inside the fuel well/bowl and there is not a spring. There is, however, a small rubber thing that appears to act as a spring (it stretchs when the door is open and retracts to hold the door shut)....and it is broken/snapped.
Has anyone seen this type setup and if so, any ideas on repair? It seems like it would be possible to simply replace the rubber spring/band.
The truck has 72000 miles and is out of warranty.
Thanks for your help.
The following users liked this post:
Maxb01 (10-07-2012)
Old 08-14-2012, 01:25 PM

Angry 2009 f150 fuel hinge and bowl

these things are still falling apart. dealer in temple, tx. is quite higher than the other postings however, quoting $61 for the part and $90 for labor not including tax. seems to be recall time as i have owned multiple autos since 1970 and not 1 had the fuel door assembly fall apart.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:24 PM

Default 2009 SFE Fuel Door

Hey Everyone,
As of yesterday I get to join the gas cover broke while filling up club. I sent some emails to Ford Customer Service and they really didn't seem like they could care any less about the issue even when trying to reason with them. The would rather us eat a $150-200 repair than pay for the repair and have us feel good about customer relations. So Sad!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel door spring broke f150 2009