Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front TrueTrac

Old 11-26-2015, 08:57 PM

Received 91 Likes on 75 Posts

Default Front TrueTrac

Anyone know if this Detroit TrueTrac will work in our IFS 31 spline 8.8? Or is this specifically for rear axle applications only? Dosnet seem to be much out there for traction devices for the front 8.8".

http://www.drivetrainshop.com/Detroi...at-913a561.htm
Old 11-26-2015, 09:34 PM
for fastening fabric

Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts

pumpkin is a pumpkin, dude. should work fine. have you tried taking out the LS in a '11+ raptor?
Old 11-26-2015, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by safetypin
pumpkin is a pumpkin, dude. should work fine. have you tried taking out the LS in a '11+ raptor?
Wanted to make sure before plunkng down any $ on it. Haven't looked into the Raptor's LS. Got a TT in the rear, like to match that up front.
Old 11-26-2015, 11:27 PM
for fastening fabric

Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts

I'd call Detroit when they're open. As long as the gear ratio is the same as your rear, you shouldn't encounter any issues.

If you do look at a Raptor front diff, which doesn't seem to be something you'd do, make sure the gear ratio is the same.

Thinking about it, an LS front end would lessen your dependence on the transfercase, assuming you use it a lot.

That raises the question of whether you need this, or if you're doing it 'cuz it'd be bitchin.
Old 11-26-2015, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by safetypin
I'd call Detroit when they're open. As long as the gear ratio is the same as your rear, you shouldn't encounter any issues.

If you do look at a Raptor front diff, which doesn't seem to be something you'd do, make sure the gear ratio is the same.

Thinking about it, an LS front end would lessen your dependence on the transfercase, assuming you use it a lot.

That raises the question of whether you need this, or if you're doing it 'cuz it'd be bitchin.
I'll give Eaton a call. With our reverse cut gears and the application saying its for c-clipped axle shafts, not sure this would work.

It would only work when in 4WD, when the transfer case is engaged. It requires torque applied to it in order to transfer torque to the opposing high traction tire. Otherwise it acts like an open diff. Do I need it? Nope. But it would be a great 4x4 upgrade.

Last edited by Willard5.0; 11-27-2015 at 01:06 PM.
Old 12-24-2015, 08:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you get the TrueTrac?
Old 12-24-2015, 08:43 AM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I totally agree that if you have the funds and can find a reliable mechanic to install it(if you don't want to do it yourself), this is one of those sayings "You don't use it all the time, but it's nice to have when you need it". For the life of me, I don't know why they don't come standard on all 4x4 trucks. Open diffs are useless!
Old 12-24-2015, 09:11 AM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Your might want to reconsider putting that in your front diff. A locked front diff makes it extremely difficult to make tight turns, which is one reason why Jeep puts actuated lockers in the front of the Rubicons. When you get in a tight spot being able to unlock the front diff takes extra pressure off the weak links in the axle. Look into getting an ARB air locker if your serious about locking up your front diff. You'll be glad you did in the long run, plus its always nice to have an air compressor on board. I see you have a "highly modified" Wrangler in your stable, I really miss having my Jeep :-)

Last edited by default_user8; 12-24-2015 at 09:16 AM.
Old 12-24-2015, 09:21 AM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Tru tracs are totally transparent, so you won't know they are there till you need it. It acts like a open diff until you lose traction. That is one of the reasons I've had these installed in the last couple of vehicles that I've had.

I'm really interested in ARB air lockers too. I have never had them installed and read good things about them. I think I will be installing them front and rear in the near future. The cost of the whole set up is the only draw back.
Old 12-24-2015, 10:49 AM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

ARB's are more expensive upfront, but in the long run less broken axle components make up that up front expenditure. I have seen jeeps with lockers break u joints, and c clips while bound up in a turn. As long as your going straight they are great and totally worth having, actually its better to have the front locked up than the rear in a lot of circumstances. But get crossed up and you will wish you were able to unlock that front diff. A torgue operated locker like a tru trac won't unlock if its under a load. BTW this is my own personal opinion from my experience, i'm not an expert but I did sleep at a Holiday inn express last night. LoL HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front TrueTrac