Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front license plate bracket was broken off!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 09:22 AM

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Default Front license plate bracket was broken off!

I was walking to my truck Friday after work and noticed that my front license plate was missing, when I got closer to the truck I found the plate (thank god) and the mounting bracket lying on the ground. The little plastic clips had been broken so I think some body backed into me. The hit must not have been hard at all cause there was no other damage to my truck and trust me I checked thoroughly. I unfortunately didn't think to take any pictures .

As far as I know in Ontario it is illegal to drive without your front license plate on or at the very least visible on your dashboard. So I called up the local Ford dealer in the city I work and asked if they stocked them, they had none in stock but offered to order me one at a cost of $47.50! I then called the dealership who sold me my truck (which is 25 minutes North of where I live) and they also didn't stock one. But they offered to take one off of a brand new 2012 F150 and sell it to me for $21.00, thats good service and a good deal in my book. Got the new bracket put on without issue but still not the best way to spend a Friday evening!

The dealership said that they get people in all the time asking about license plate brackets, there really isn't much holding them on.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:50 AM

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by CDC5.0
I was walking to my truck Friday after work and noticed that my front license plate was missing, when I got closer to the truck I found the plate (thank god) and the mounting bracket lying on the ground. The little plastic clips had been broken so I think some body backed into me. The hit must not have been hard at all cause there was no other damage to my truck and trust me I checked thoroughly. I unfortunately didn't think to take any pictures .

As far as I know in Ontario it is illegal to drive without your front license plate on or at the very least visible on your dashboard. So I called up the local Ford dealer in the city I work and asked if they stocked them, they had none in stock but offered to order me one at a cost of $47.50! I then called the dealership who sold me my truck (which is 25 minutes North of where I live) and they also didn't stock one. But they offered to take one off of a brand new 2012 F150 and sell it to me for $21.00, thats good service and a good deal in my book. Got the new bracket put on without issue but still not the best way to spend a Friday evening!

The dealership said that they get people in all the time asking about license plate brackets, there really isn't much holding them on.
You're right about the front plate in Ontario. I'm driving a rental truck till my new truck arrives, and the front plate was missing. I was pulled over and the LEO threatened me with a $110.00 ticket. I explained the rental crap, he checked my license to make sure I was in the good books, then sent me off with a warning. Took the Silverado back to the rental yard & it all worked out for the best because they gave me a 2012 F 150 4X4 XLT Eco to drive for the nest 3 weeks till mine comes in.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:01 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

If you are at all mechanicly inclined get a piece of 1 1/2 x 1/8 steel or aluminum strap cut 2 pieces 7in long bend each end right angle drill holes in the ends and bolt them to the existing holes [top and bottem] this will give you a sollid base to mount the plate and frame of your choice and will out last the truck

Quick Reply: Front license plate bracket was broken off!