Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front hub problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front hub problem

I had my truck into the dealer to look at the grinding noise coming from the front hubs. I'd say it was intermittant grinding/whirring for about 2-3 weeks until I could get it into them.

They just called and said its fixed. They cleared an obstruction in the vacuum line, but did not inspect/replace the hub. My question is, is there a potenial for the hub to be worn from the partial disengagement, or is it okay? Do they need to replace the hubs as well?

Thanks.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:21 PM

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

To steel to hub is made from is stronger than that of the 4x4 actuators, I'd be more afraid of them being ground or damaged before the hubs. A worn down actuator might click trying to engage or not engage at all. Of course I had the same issue with mine and it made noise for the three weeks after I bought it and who knows how long with the previous owner. I replaced the actuators after ruling out the vacuum lines with a vacuum pump. Despite the horrific noise it was making, the new actuators looked exactly like the old ones, and the hubs looked fine as well. If the noise is gone, drive it and wait to hear more noise that could be indicative of further hardware failure.
The following users liked this post:
Wilks54 (02-18-2014)

Quick Reply: Front hub problem