Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Franken-Suspension Club

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 04:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Franken-Suspension Club

Well first we had the camburg club and then the RPG club. I'm proud to say I'm a member of the Franken-Suspension club. I just took what I thought were the best ideas from this forum and combined everything over time. Like most builds mine started innocently enough. I don't have a before picture so imagine a completely bone stock, 2010 black 5.5 screw lariat.
I needed new tire in September of 2012. I opted for a pair of slightly larger 275-70-18 Cooper AT3. It was a huge upgrade over the stock goodyear SR-A's. It was night and day in rain and the slick carolina mud on hunting lease roads. I kinda got the idea that the stock wheels tucked the tire too far in on the truck so I then pulled the trigger on a pair of Cepeck Torque wheels which are 18x8.5"x20mm offset. It pushed the tires about 1" further out. i really liked the stance.
I did feel the ride was harsher due to the E rated tires, so I thought why not upgrade the rear shocks to some Fox 2.0. With 33,000 miles the rears were shot anyway so it was an easy upgrade and I could do the work myself. So at this point I have upgraded Wheels, plus sized tires and new improved shocks.
Getting through the winter I kept researching the possibility of new front Coilovers. My stock coilovers had developed a slow leak and I wanted to level and lift the truck anyways. I decided I would do the fox 2.5 coilovers non-reservoir and at the same time I ordered some Icon UCA. I chose the Icon's primarily because I was assured they would work with my backspace. In terms of UCA's all the tubular Icon, Total Chaos, Camburg all started to look the same. At the same time I ordered the Pro-comp AAL. Once everything arrived I dropped off for install at my buddy's shop.
I picked up the truck as was completely enamored with the new stance. Wow, it was looking exactly as I had envisioned it. It raised the front about 2.25" and the rear about 2". I was left with a little over 1" of rake and I was pleased. Or so I thought. The problem was, the rear AAL, despite being the long leaf, was harsh and did not articulate very well on dirt roads. To its credit, it was fine on pavement and elimanted most axle wrap. The rear end felt more planted now. However, offroad was a different story. It was too stiff and harsh in ditches and hunting roads.
More research is done and I decide that the stock leafs and AAL have to go. I looked into Nationals and Deaver, however, in the end I opted for some custom Alcan's. I spoke to Bill and Guy at Alcan and they took detailed information about what my needs were. In about 3 weeks UPS delivered a brand new spring pack to my buddy's shop. Today I had them installed.
I all have to say is wow. If each suspension upgrade was incrementally better, the spring pack is monumental. I ordered a 3" setup and eliminated the rear block completely. The truck now has slightly under factory rake, but I am told the rear will settle some more. However, driving home, I had a big smile on my face. I eagerly sought out the bounciest, curviest road I know of and hammered it. It soaked up everything and never came close to breaking free. Its unbelievable. I have heard other here talk about how the rear end actually needs the most help. I am now a convert. They were pricy, but well worth it. Comfortable as a daily driver, but wow what a difference over speed bumps, whoops in the road, a gravel road on a farm I lease. Keep in mind this is with the fox 2.0's. I have to give the wallet a break for a bit, but I can see the raptor takeoffs in my future.
I know pics or it didn't happen. Its raining terribly right now so I only have two.

Last edited by Nckeith; 04-19-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:33 PM

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Nice setup. I'm looking at getting rid of the 3" block and going with a new custom spring set up too.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:08 PM

I never had the 3" block to compare it to, but like I stated earlier, the custom leaf pack is the way to go compared to the AAL. When they were delivered my buddy who is a mechanic thought they were for a super duty. However, the progressive flex is awesome. They look like they would be stiff and burly, but the ride is awesome. I am towing a 12' trailer and ATV's tomorrow so I am curious how they hold up with weight on the trailer tongue. I specified the trailer and trailer needs when the springs were being made so I have aspirations.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:21 AM

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

What are your impressions of the front Fox 2.5s?

How'd the tow go with the new rear leafs?
Old 04-20-2013, 03:22 PM

The fox 2.5's are really nice. My first impression was they were a little stiff. i now realize two things.1) They do soften up as the seals break in and the springs have some weight on them for a while. 2) Lots of the perceived frame shaking from bumps and the such was actually originating in the back of the truck from the stock leafs and AAL. Now when I hit a bump they whole truck soaks up the bump. They are pricey, however, since my front strut was leaking I figured why not. They are really well made. You can just tell when you hold them.
As far as towing went, it was great. Not too much sag and no sway at all. I gave the guys at Alcan my most likely towing scenario which is 12' atv dual hauler. It really is not that heavy, Maybe 1600 lbs loaded. However, they factor that into the metals and number of leafs vs a rock crawler set up or something. I am sure vs the factory setup if I towed a skid steer it may be less stout. But its always a trade off between comfort and offroad performance vs brute strength and towing ability. I am very happy thus far.
This may sound backwards in a way, but if I was going to keep a truck at stock height, I would still swap the rear springs. The front coilovers from Ford are actually decent for a blend of everyday driving and casual offroading. Its the cheap *** rear set up with two springs and the overload that hold these trucks back. I understand why this is high on the list of raptor owners. They have multi thousand systems with triple bypass shocks and then ford goes and leaves the same crummy springs and adds a taller block.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:53 PM

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Nckeith
The fox 2.5's are really nice. My first impression was they were a little stiff. i now realize two things.1) They do soften up as the seals break in and the springs have some weight on them for a while. 2) Lots of the perceived frame shaking from bumps and the such was actually originating in the back of the truck from the stock leafs and AAL. Now when I hit a bump they whole truck soaks up the bump. They are pricey, however, since my front strut was leaking I figured why not. They are really well made. You can just tell when you hold them.
As far as towing went, it was great. Not too much sag and no sway at all. I gave the guys at Alcan my most likely towing scenario which is 12' atv dual hauler. It really is not that heavy, Maybe 1600 lbs loaded. However, they factor that into the metals and number of leafs vs a rock crawler set up or something. I am sure vs the factory setup if I towed a skid steer it may be less stout. But its always a trade off between comfort and offroad performance vs brute strength and towing ability. I am very happy thus far.
This may sound backwards in a way, but if I was going to keep a truck at stock height, I would still swap the rear springs. The front coilovers from Ford are actually decent for a blend of everyday driving and casual offroading. Its the cheap *** rear set up with two springs and the overload that hold these trucks back. I understand why this is high on the list of raptor owners. They have multi thousand systems with triple bypass shocks and then ford goes and leaves the same crummy springs and adds a taller block.

That's really interesting...I'll have to do some research in to an upgrade for the rear leafs and shocks!
Old 04-20-2013, 11:22 PM

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

Ok. I will ask. What is pricey for rear springs? Grand, two?!
Old 04-20-2013, 11:38 PM

Received 133 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by whitescrew77
Ok. I will ask. What is pricey for rear springs? Grand, two?!
Why would you ever spend that much on leafs? Skyjacker makes a set for under $500. 4" lift w/out stock block, 6" lift w/block.

Skyjacker FR904S Rear Leaf Spring for 09-C Ford F150 : Amazon.com : Automotive Skyjacker FR904S Rear Leaf Spring for 09-C Ford F150 : Amazon.com : Automotive

Last edited by jonbar87; 04-20-2013 at 11:41 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:20 AM

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by jonbar87
Why would you ever spend that much on leafs? Skyjacker makes a set for under $500. 4" lift w/out stock block, 6" lift w/block.

Skyjacker FR904S Rear Leaf Spring for 09-C Ford F150 : Amazon.com : Automotive

no idea what the OP spent on his springs, but Alcan, like other custom spring makers (IE. Deaver, National Spring), build them... custom.

predicted weights, loads, on/offroad usage, trailer, towing, etc. are all taken into consideration when building a spring pack.

SkyJacker, just built a leaf pack to lift the truck.

It's something you'd have to experience to appreciate.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:38 AM

Received 133 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by beakie
no idea what the OP spent on his springs, but Alcan, like other custom spring makers (IE. Deaver, National Spring), build them... custom.

predicted weights, loads, on/offroad usage, trailer, towing, etc. are all taken into consideration when building a spring pack.

SkyJacker, just built a leaf pack to lift the truck.

It's something you'd have to experience to appreciate.
I see. I guess I'm not that picky about my leaf springs. As long as they get the job done I'm happy.

Quick Reply: Franken-Suspension Club