Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Dealer "No warranty work for a week"

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 08:00 PM

Received 173 Likes on 116 Posts
Default Ford Dealer "No warranty work for a week"

I was driving around today, everything was fine then all of a sudden oil pressure drops to zero and the throttle had no response / no power even though engine was still running (rough). I was only going about 15 mph so I stopped and shut it off quick, got out to see if I sprang a leak - checked the oil level via dipstick, all was fine.... tried to fire it up but it died again, so i let it sit for about 5 minutes then tried again - it ran, but rough ... no CEL came on though so I basically floored the pedal to get it going - once it got up some speed it could maintain it but there was no real power and very hard to build any speed (good thing it's very flat out here, the one small hill I had to climb it nearly wouldn't make it).

So I head straight for the local dealer, Jack Key Ford in Deming, NM, only to be told they only have one mechanic who does warranty work and he is out of town in training until next monday?! This is a small dealer, but has about 10 service bays and they were working on a NMSP cruiser and have BP trucks in the lot so it's not "that" small. The service guy wasn't particularly concerned, just told me that they only have one guy and if anyone else on their staff tried to fix it that it may void the warranty??? Again, this is a FORD dealership ("blue oval certified" fwiw). I called Ford Roadside to see if they could help, but they only offered to tow it to the next closest dealer in Silver City (about 60 miles away) and couldn't advise how I would get my truck back other than maybe they'd give me a loaner (but that dealer is even smaller....no chance they have loaners to give out).

Is this for real - that a Ford dealer can have mechanics who can't fix a Ford truck? I've owned it for less than a year, has under 14k miles ... I doubt whatever the issue is would've even taken more than a couple hours (MAF?). As I was leaving the dealer the CEL came on, but wasn't flashing, so now it's parked at my office for a week..... not impressed
Old 01-20-2014, 08:05 PM

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

I like my truck (not love) but I absolutely despise the ford dealership warranty work system. I know my best friend in Denver loves his dealer and has zero issues, I've had numerous. My Chevy dealer in town ( my ford dealerships rival) was amazing to me for the most part with service and helping above and beyond.
Best of luck to you. Pm a ford rep here and see if they can help get you a loaner.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:09 PM

Received 93 Likes on 81 Posts

That is harsh to read. Did you run your truck through a lot of water recently? Hope thye get you all squared away.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:09 PM
Cycle For Fun and Health

Received 495 Likes on 384 Posts

Cow,
You should contact Ford Customer Service. The first posting on the main page. They may be of some help to you.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:16 PM
On more meds than ymeski

Received 651 Likes on 379 Posts

That sounds like a load of BS right there.

Hopefully our resident Ford rep will chime in.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:23 PM

Received 613 Likes on 497 Posts

maybe it has to do with you getting higher then reported fuel mileage , could be from "filling your bed with sand", or from "flooring it every time you leave a stop", maybe its your bigger tires?

good luck
Old 01-20-2014, 09:02 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Let's see...truck runs rough, oil pressure is at zero, truck dies at next attempt to start and the idea comes to you to floor it?
Old 01-20-2014, 09:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your engine is more than likely running in reduced power mode due to the pcm not seeing proper oil pressure. As long as its not noisey its probably just the oil pressure sensor.. Now the whole dealer visit is total BS, I would have called customer service right there in front of the advisor. Their totally negligent and stupid to even let you drive it out of there, the warranty expense on the oil sender is maybe $100 but on the motor it could be $6K..
Old 01-20-2014, 10:26 PM

Received 173 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by nemosdad
Let's see...truck runs rough, oil pressure is at zero, truck dies at next attempt to start and the idea comes to you to floor it?
no, I believe the oil pressure going to zero was the engine going out the first time - as soon as it was "running" again the oil pressure was normal. Even though it would've been he&& to get a tow truck out where I was no way i'd have driven it with zero oil pressure.

no water, hasn't rained here in about a month. Truck ran fine last night and fine this morning, this just came on all of a sudden with no warning. Good gas (from a big truck stop) so I don't think thats the issue either

if the truck was running in reduced power mode shouldn't some sort of warning light have come on? other than running like garbage, idling really rough, and no real power the gauges were normal and no lights at all - I was about 30 miles out, kept it at 45 all the way back. The CEL only came on after leaving the dealer lot.

(thanks Kidastra, I knew someone would ding me for that ... guess I jinxed myself)

I did PM Crystal to find out if there are any options ... I'd rather troubleshoot and fix myself, but not while its still under warranty and shouldn't be costing me any money.

Last edited by Cowpig; 01-20-2014 at 10:28 PM.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:27 PM

Received 613 Likes on 497 Posts

You know I had to!

Quick Reply: Ford Dealer "No warranty work for a week"