Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Footwell LED wiring help needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 01:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Footwell LED wiring help needed

I picked up some LED strips because I've seen a few posts with pics and it looked like a pretty cool mod. All of the wiring info I have found doesnt seem to apply to my 2014 SCREW XLT. I removed the kick plate hoping to find the wire that goes to my dome light but no luck.

Does anyone know what colour it is? Here is a pic of what I'm dealing with.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:53 PM

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts

I did the connection on the passenger side. Open the kick plate and look for a green connector towards the bottom. You can unplug this to see if the dome light goes out. If memory serves correctly, this is a two row connector. One row is full the other about half full. The wire you are looking for is on the side that is half full. It is either the last wire or next to last in the middle. Use a test light or meter to confirm. Ran the ground to a nut in the kick panel.

Hope this helps.
The following 2 users liked this post by JP Mewley:
2016 FX4x4 (01-17-2017), DSutherland (08-24-2014)
Old 08-24-2014, 04:02 PM

Received 176 Likes on 138 Posts

I connected mine to the dimmer switch. The purple/orange wire I think.
The following users liked this post:
DSutherland (08-24-2014)
Old 08-24-2014, 11:05 PM

Thanks to both of you. I will let you know how I make out!
Old 08-25-2014, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by JP Mewley
I did the connection on the passenger side. Open the kick plate and look for a green connector towards the bottom. You can unplug this to see if the dome light goes out. If memory serves correctly, this is a two row connector. One row is full the other about half full. The wire you are looking for is on the side that is half full. It is either the last wire or next to last in the middle. Use a test light or meter to confirm. Ran the ground to a nut in the kick panel.

Hope this helps.
Found it right where you said it would be. The row you said was half full only had 2 wires and one of them was the one. The in line clips I bought were not small enough to pierce the wire as its pretty thin. Just need to get some smaller ones and a little extra wire and should be all set. Thanks again

Last edited by DSutherland; 08-26-2014 at 07:12 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:14 PM

Im at a loss. If I remove the connector and touch the pin with the LED wire while grounded I get light. I cut the wire after the connector and spliced the LED wire in and nothing - touch the pin = LED light. Touch the bare wire = nothing.
Any ideas?
Old 08-26-2014, 08:20 PM

This sounds like something that would happen to me. Make absolutely sure you have spliced into the correct wire leading into the pin. Double check your ground. Also, these trucks have a battery saver feature that will turn off the dome light after a period of time. Make sure the dome light is on when testing. I was constantly closing and opening the door to get the dome light on. You are in the right place, this is something simple.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:15 PM

Am I going crazy? Here is what I'm dealing with.
This first pic show the LED light connected to the cut wire coming from the connector. As this pic was taken the dome light was not on (telling me I have the right wire) **LED ARE ON***

In this pic I connected the other half of the cut wire going to the dome light. The dome light is now on, but the LED is not?? Does this make sense to anyone?

Last edited by DSutherland; 08-27-2014 at 02:19 PM.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:25 PM
A guy with a truck...

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

VOM tester. Maybe your dome light has constant power and a switchable ground?
Old 08-27-2014, 09:20 PM

Looks like you are in the wrong place for power. Our connectors appear the same. In my case, I tapped the purple wire (position 4 in your photo 1) for power. My ground was the metal screw to the right and up from this connector that mounts a plastic bracket to a metal brace.

One wire of the LED should connect to the tapped purple wire, the other goes to ground.

Quick simple test without first stripping the wire would be to stick a straight pin into the purple wire and wrap one wire of the led to it. The take the other wire to ground. If this is the correct wire for your truck, then the dome light will be on and the LED should light up, assuming all your connections are good. The further test is the leave this set up and then close the door and wait for the dome light to go off. If all is good, then the led should go off as well.

If you don't have one, a 12v test light is worth its weight in gold for things like this.

If the above does not work with the purple wire, then continue trying the rest of the wires one by one. The wire you are looking for has to be in this connector since the dome light will not function when it is disconnected.

Hope this helps.
The following 3 users liked this post by JP Mewley:
2016 FX4x4 (01-17-2017), BlueFlameMetalliCrew (06-03-2015), Fordfan780 (01-26-2015)

Quick Reply: Footwell LED wiring help needed