Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flood or spot

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 08:06 AM

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Flood or spot

I want to put the 2x2 rigid lights in for factory fogs like many have done I would like to still use them occasionally I am going to get the amber covers so I can Amber them out when I want but also want white. Question is do you think flood or spot? Also where did you guys get the 9006 connector I want it operating as factory fogs
Old 12-26-2013, 08:10 AM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

the pigtail you can use something like http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/200751038280?lpid=82
As for the pattern I have spots but mine are up in the grille so I had to aim them down a tad. If I were to use the factory position I would say go with Flood as it will fill up any areas down low or for heavy fog/snow you want them as low as possible so you don't illuminate the fog itself when turned on
Old 12-26-2013, 12:40 PM

Received 99 Likes on 85 Posts

I have the floods in the flight holes.. AMD as far as the wiring.. I cut the factory wiring like 6 inches back from the plug. And then took the rigid supplied wiring and cut the last 6 inches of that and spliced it to the factory wiring harness so I could still unplug the lights if something g happened.. and they work with the factory foot light **** in the truck
Attached Thumbnails Flood or spot-forumrunner_20131226_124024.jpg  
Old 12-26-2013, 01:21 PM

Received 102 Likes on 69 Posts

i have used both as well as combo, my own personal experiance is all spot is the way to go, they throw enough light to the sides to light the ditches. i find that if you have floods they throw to much light on the ground directly infront of you hurting your long distance vision.
The following users liked this post:
RES4CUE (12-26-2013)
Old 12-26-2013, 04:45 PM

Received 196 Likes on 163 Posts

I have/had both, but on my Polaris Ranger. I have the Dually spot lights mounted on top of the cab. The spot lights throw a very narrow concentrated beam. I have them both aimed to a central point in front about 500 ft. away. When I experimented while running around on my property in West Virginia, unless I had the headlights on I couldn't see to either side of the road. I also had a set of Dually D2's in amber, mounted on the front brushguard. They had a nice wide pattern that had a bit more concentration in front. The problem with the amber thou was that the distance wasn't very far. Which really didn't matter that much really because I just put around the property, usually no more than 10 mph, unless I feel a little sporty. They did illuminate a lot better than the stock headlights and further. But only about 1/4 the distance of the spot lights. So this year I removed them in favor of a set of the 6" combo lights. Although I originally wanted the amber for foul weather in the mountains, They didn't have the distance I had hoped for. I can get amber covers for the 6" if need be. So, the spot lights throw a very concentrated beam with not a lot of spill, and the driving light in amber had good side illumination but not much distance.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:08 PM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts

Originally Posted by tabezic
I have the floods in the flight holes.. AMD as far as the wiring.. I cut the factory wiring like 6 inches back from the plug. And then took the rigid supplied wiring and cut the last 6 inches of that and spliced it to the factory wiring harness so I could still unplug the lights if something g happened.. and they work with the factory foot light **** in the truck
This! I wired mine the same.

I have the spots In the driver light location with amber covers and they work great! There is good light everywhere and being spots they work great in snow, fog, and rain with very little rebound light. Probably because they are so low.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:10 PM

Received 196 Likes on 163 Posts

Wink

This is one picture I took with my GoPro mounted on the hood of the Ranger. I took it by accident actually. I was trying to take video and had it on the wrong setting at first. This is right at dusk with the 6" combo lights on only. You can see the concentrated beam in the center. That's the Spot light part of the beam. It goes to the end of the lane before it takes a sharp turn into the woods. That's about 200 ft. away. But they illuminate much further. And to the side is the flood pattern of the beam.

Last edited by Scarlet; 12-26-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:11 PM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts

Originally Posted by Scarlet
I have/had both, but on my Polaris Ranger. I have the Dually spot lights mounted on top of the cab. The spot lights throw a very narrow concentrated beam. I have them both aimed to a central point in front about 500 ft. away. When I experimented while running around on my property in West Virginia, unless I had the headlights on I couldn't see to either side of the road. I also had a set of Dually D2's in amber, mounted on the front brushguard. They had a nice wide pattern that had a bit more concentration in front. The problem with the amber thou was that the distance wasn't very far. Which really didn't matter that much really because I just put around the property, usually no more than 10 mph, unless I feel a little sporty. They did illuminate a lot better than the stock headlights and further. But only about 1/4 the distance of the spot lights. So this year I removed them in favor of a set of the 6" combo lights. Although I originally wanted the amber for foul weather in the mountains, They didn't have the distance I had hoped for. I can get amber covers for the 6" if need be. So, the spot lights throw a very concentrated beam with not a lot of spill, and the driving light in amber had good side illumination but not much distance.
I don't know if it's different between the lights made in amber vs the covers in amber but with my covers on it only limits the light output a little. Obviously the color has changed and that may be a trick to the eye as it doesn't seem as intense as a bright white light.

Quick Reply: Flood or spot