Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flood Damaged Truck

Old 01-20-2018, 12:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Flood Damaged Truck

I received a 2007 Ford F150 that was given to me for free. The only catch is the truck is a flood damaged vehicle. I don't know how long it sat in water or anything but it came from the 2016 Hurricane that hit North Carolina and was probably half-submerged in water. The owner did nothing with the vehicle except let it sit after the flood damage occurred. I got this truck and immediately drained water from the Engine, Transmission, Fuel Tank, and Rear end. The engine was seized but the truck itself looked great. No body damage, interior wasn't damaged or stained, and it only had 20K on the truck. I splurged and installed a new long block and the truck runs great.

Now the issues with the flood damage. No AC or Heat, Fuel Gauge doesn't work, constantly beeps with or without keys in the ignition as if the headlights were left on, No Radio, constantly shows door ajar on instrument panel, Air Bag light is on, and the seat belt minder constantly dings no matter if seat belts are fastened or not.

I feel like the Fuse panel is corroded up and needs to be replaced. I took it to the Ford dealership and had them scan it. The PCM talks to all the modules but just about all have some sort of error code showing after a 20 min drive. The Ford mechanic told me that there is no GEM module in that particular truck and that the instrument panel is a "module" all it's own that controls many things. He wants me to replace the Air Bag module, the Fuse Panel, the AC/Heat controls, the radio, and the Instrument Cluster. All of this to the tune of $2600. I told him to go ahead and get the Instrument Cluster and I would swap the Fuse Panel, Air Bag, and AC controls from a junk yard pull and I would install an aftermarket radio. He then tells me that none of the junkyard stuff will work as it will be VIN locked to the original truck. Basically telling me I have to buy all new Ford parts. Is this true or will some of the parts work ?? I understand the instrument panel being locked by VIN but would the AC Controls be locked ? Or the Air Bag module? Fuse box ?

Just trying to save some $$ on this rebuild. I already have about $3300 in the motor work that I did.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:35 PM

Received 117 Likes on 86 Posts

My most expensive project was "given to me Free". I applaud your willingness to take on such a task.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:45 PM

Received 135 Likes on 122 Posts

I'd seriously consider stopping where you are rather than spend even more on what might well become a nightmare rebuild. Also, you might repost in the 2004-2008 subforum for more specific experience with that F150 series.

My buddy will be selling his late father's 2004 F150 soon with prox 80k miles since new, so I checked there this morning to help with "market research". Seems you'd have way more in that flooded one than what its worth...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Flood Damaged Truck