Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time here, first time pickup owner and first time Ford owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 02:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First time here, first time pickup owner and first time Ford owner

Hi guys, first off I'm thankful for forums like this.

I am about three weeks in from buying my very first pickup truck (and my first Ford vehicle). It is a 2012 F-150 XLT, 4WD, 6-speed, 3.5L Ecoboost, 84,000 miles when I purchased. I'm posting this here because I feel like this community can give me some very good advice on how to approach maintaining this truck and how to stay ahead of some of the "issues" that I now know about. Very brief background on the truck is that it was purchased new and traded back in (for another new vehicle) at the dealership I bought it at. I have all the service records as all the service was done at the dealership, it had full service oil changes every 5000 miles with Motorcraft full-synthetic, new tires at 50,000...anything it needed to that point it received. Also significant to my questions is that the purchase came with a 3,000/3-month warranty.

So, I know about the possible carbon buildup on valves problem and I've learned about the catch can mod'....I may consider that after the warranty has run out but I've also seen many people say that if you get your oil changes with quality full-synthetic oil, do the maintenance as scheduled, and use quality gasoline, you should be good. I am simply not knowledgeable enough to know although I will no doubt do all maintenance as required with quality fluids and components etc. I am also experiencing the driveshaft "click" when going into reverse from park and sometimes in other shifting situations. I still haven't been convinced one way or another that this is a serious issue, but I do have some sort of warranty and I'll probably address the problem (if there is one) with the dealership and test it. I know there is a PSB for that issue. Other than that, I think the truck is great.......lots of power, especially once it moves through 1-2 and into 3rd gear. At first it seemed a little sluggish accelerating from a stop but I think that may just be because, well it's not a sports car, and I'm really not fully accustomed yet to driving a full-size truck. I'm also aware of the talk about timing chain stretch and failure but I'm not sure what I can do about that before there is actually a problem.

I know this was a bit rambly and probably asks things that have been covered a lot but I'd really appreciate any tips, advice, insights, anything that may help me get in front of any issues that could arise and help me keep my truck running fantastic for a long long time. I am very impressed with the way the truck handles and rides and the power/pep/response. I just want to keep it all that way.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Surecatch; 06-08-2017 at 02:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Cheryl C. (05-08-2023)
Old 06-08-2017, 02:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello, welcome to the group.
Sounds like you have a good truck and want to keep it in good shape. You answered your own question about the valve build up issue, good fuel and clean filters will get you a long way. Catch cans are a good investment depending on who you talk to, one thing is for sure (they can't hurt). Another thing people do that sounds like it prevents alot of problems is they drill a small weeping hole in the intercooler down low to blow out moisture that condenses within the system..... I don't have a EcoBoost so I'm not %100 sure on what's all involved with that.
Anyways use the search feature on this sight and you'll find most everything you need.
Cheers
Old 06-08-2017, 07:59 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

drill the hole, now.
change your spark glugs
clean your 3 MAF sensors
order your tunes
ENJOY!
Old 01-30-2018, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry just learning how to use this forum
little different from what I'm used to
yeah I'll be hauling my mustang in my 24 foot haulmark pro elite trailer
I hope this truck does alright pulling it
power wise I'm sure I will be fine
more so worried about suspension and tires
Old 03-10-2018, 09:07 PM
Proud Southerner

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

​​​​​

Last edited by Coops064x4; 03-10-2018 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Wrong thread. Sorry
Old 03-13-2018, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by 4.30Screw
Hello, welcome to the group.
Sounds like you have a good truck and want to keep it in good shape. You answered your own question about the valve build up issue, good fuel and clean filters will get you a long way. Catch cans are a good investment depending on who you talk to, one thing is for sure (they can't hurt). Another thing people do that sounds like it prevents alot of problems is they drill a small weeping hole in the intercooler down low to blow out moisture that condenses within the system..... I don't have a EcoBoost so I'm not %100 sure on what's all involved with that.
Anyways use the search feature on this sight and you'll find most everything you need.
Cheers
Originally Posted by bisley45
drill the hole, now.
change your spark glugs
clean your 3 MAF sensors
order your tunes
ENJOY!
Not to hijack the thread but I’m also new to this truck world and I have not heard about drilling a hole in my ecoboost lol. Sounds like I have some research to do
Old 03-13-2018, 06:02 PM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

Originally Posted by cryptodirky

Not to hijack the thread but I’m also new to this truck world and I have not heard about drilling a hole in my ecoboost lol. Sounds like I have some research to do
https://www.f150forum.com/f70/ecoboo...s-here-223824/
Old 03-13-2018, 06:55 PM
Army Signals retired

Received 220 Likes on 190 Posts

Welcome to the site.
Old 05-02-2018, 12:04 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The fortitudes are a fine 3 season tire with good highway manners and good wear characteristics. I found through the first winter they were ok in snow, but had very long stopping distances on ice. It was my first full size truck so I just assumed that's how long it took trucks to stop in those conditions and drove accordingly. 2nd winter it was even worse and I decided to go with the General Grabber AT2. Immediately noticed a massive improvement in braking distances. First day I had them I almost got rear ended twice because the truck was stopping so much faster then I was accustomed to. The GG AT2 had a similar weight (went with same size) as the fortitude HT's so gas mileage remained the same but I have a much better tire as well. I prefer the more aggressive AT look as well. Slightly noisier on the highway would be the downside. Picked them up $200 per tire installed/balanced in Canadian funds. Had them on for 7,000 km's now and no issues, but much better performance. I do lots of fishing and that takes me down the odd gravel road and they are much more stable on loose gravel as well. So that's another option to consider.
Old 05-04-2018, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by bisley45
drill the hole, now.
change your spark glugs
clean your 3 MAF sensors
order your tunes
ENJOY!
how does one order "tunes" please?