Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Oil Change - DIY or dealer change and what brand of oil?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Oil Change - DIY or dealer change and what brand of oil?

Hello,

I have a V8 2014 F-150 and it is about time to do the first oil change (the oil change light should be coming on soon). I've always changed my own oil in every car I have ever owned so I know it gets done right. I have a free dealer oil change though and they keep contacting me about getting the oil changed and seem to be making a big deal about the dealing needing to do the maintenance for the warranty, etc. I'm leaning towards doing the oil change myself anyway though.

If I do the oil change myself, what brand oil should I be putting in the truck? I've always used plain Castrol GTX since nothing has required synthetic oil. I see that my owners manual says to use Motorcraft 5W-20 and my dealer says they use Motorcraft synthetic blend. If I end up changing the oil myself should I get motorcraft synthetic blend, motorcraft full synthetic, or stick with Castrol? I'll also get a motorcraft oem filter.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:42 PM

Received 233 Likes on 158 Posts

Use the recommended Motorcraft oil and filter, keep the receipt. Change it yourself.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:58 PM

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

First oil change was free at the dealer, so I left them do it. Probably will do it myself next time. I have switched to Mobil 1 on all my vehicles when I do it myself.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:11 PM

Received 123 Likes on 79 Posts

I had always done it myself until I found out that the dealer will do it with all Motorcraft stuff for $30. I pay that for the Motorcraft oil and filter at Walmart. Its a no brainer.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:19 PM

Received 613 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by brihvac
I had always done it myself until I found out that the dealer will do it with all Motorcraft stuff for $30. I pay that for the Motorcraft oil and filter at Walmart. Its a no brainer.
me too, cheaper at the dealer then if I did it myself,
Old 05-06-2015, 07:21 PM

Received 233 Likes on 158 Posts

Too me, it's not so much of a cost issue but a preventive maintenance inspection opportunity. One advantage I get by changing my own oil is that I can also inspect the undercarriage, differential, boots, etc. while performing the oil change.

Plus, I don't run the risk of some 18 year old kid stripping out the oil pan plug, or mistaking the differential plug for the oil pan and cracking the housing, or scratching and denting the body or any other miscellaneous things that can or will happen when leaving it with oil changing "techs" that don't give a crap.
The following users liked this post:
new_2_trucks_guy (02-06-2019)
Old 05-06-2015, 07:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

EcoBoost 5-30W, 5.89/qt at autozone (about 36 bucks), filter was about $5. I'm into it $41 doing it myself.

Oil change in Northern Virginia, (the works .... oil change, tire rotation and fluid top off.) about $49, usually can find a $10 coupon.

Only pita is having to wait for an hour and a half at the dealer .... crappy wifi, coffee and dirty waiting area. I think they make it uncomfortable on purpose to get you to walk around and look at new trucks.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:58 PM

Received 627 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Smoky
Too me, it's not so much of a cost issue but a preventive maintenance inspection opportunity. One advantage I get by changing my own oil is that I can also inspect the undercarriage, differential, boots, etc. while performing the oil change.

Plus, I don't run the risk of some 18 year old kid stripping out the oil pan plug, or mistaking the differential plug for the oil pan and cracking the housing, or scratching and denting the body or any other miscellaneous things that can or will happen when leaving it with oil changing "techs" that don't give a crap.
^ This x100
Old 05-06-2015, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the quick responses. I'll change the oil myself like normal. But what motorcraft oil to use? the synthetic blend or full synthetic?
Old 05-06-2015, 08:40 PM
Okie Coupe

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Not that it make a lot of difference but I usually change the oil about 3 times using the factory recommended Motorcraft oil and then switch to Amsoil full synthetic.

Quick Reply: First Oil Change - DIY or dealer change and what brand of oil?