Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Lifted Truck Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 10:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default First Lifted Truck Questions

Hey guys I just bought my first lifted truck a couple weeks ago and have some questions. I'm loving the truck but just want to make sure some of these things I've noticed are considered normal.

The truck is an 09 F150 w/ around 65k miles. The lift is a 6" zone lift with 35" Toyo M/T tires.

1. There are a bunch of squeaks in the suspension when I hit a bump in the road. The suspension even squeaks when I step on the running boards to jump in the truck.

2. Next, there are pops, and cracks that I hear when driving. Not everyday or often enough to point it to a specific time, but just every so often I'll hear something that I wonder why it made that noise.

3. The transmission sometimes seems to shift rough, like a clunk. I have a superchips tuner and run it on the 87 tune, which adjusts the engine and transmission. It doesn't happen all the time but I just want to see if this is also considered normal.

4. Finally, the tires seem to make a bunch of noise around 30 mph. They get quieter around 35 mph. Also, around 0-5 mph the tires are very sensitive feeling. Like I can feel each nub touching the ground.

I've looked underneath and haven't noticed anything worrisome. Bushings, control arms all seem to look fine. I've even taken some pictures if anyone thinks it would be helpful to see, I can post up.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-23-2013, 10:24 AM

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

#4- M/T tires will hum at cruising speed and you will feel the slight vibration at slow rolling speeds like coming to a stop and when you first take off.

As far as the other, mileage, weather and overall use will most likely explain the little squeaks and noises but don't hold me to that... Other than actually looking everything over, you won't really know.

I don't really know what to say about the tranni, maybe the tune? Maybe the previous owner dogged it out a lot? Or it could be normal. Once again that might just need to be inspected to really know...

Sorry, I know that really didn't help lol, but the tires are normal, just rotate them every once in a while (every-every other oil change) 5k miles?
Old 03-23-2013, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Hobzit
#4- M/T tires will hum at cruising speed and you will feel the slight vibration at slow rolling speeds like coming to a stop and when you first take off.

As far as the other, mileage, weather and overall use will most likely explain the little squeaks and noises but don't hold me to that... Other than actually looking everything over, you won't really know.

I don't really know what to say about the tranni, maybe the tune? Maybe the previous owner dogged it out a lot? Or it could be normal. Once again that might just need to be inspected to really know...

Sorry, I know that really didn't help lol, but the tires are normal, just rotate them every once in a while (every-every other oil change) 5k miles?

Thanks. Pretty sure the previous owner took good care of the tranny. I belive the tune just puts the transmission in a more agressive tune which forces it to shift a little harder than normal. I'm fine with that if it seems to be ok with the general consensus on here.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:43 PM

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by dsg03svt

Thanks. Pretty sure the previous owner took good care of the tranny. I belive the tune just puts the transmission in a more agressive tune which forces it to shift a little harder than normal. I'm fine with that if it seems to be ok with the general consensus on here.
I did originally put an aggressive 93 octane tune on mine and didn't like how hard it shifted into second, I ended up going with a 93 tune from MPT with the "chill" option for shift pressure.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:56 AM

Well I think I may have solved my hard shifting problem and general drivability issue's.

I didn't realize how much of a difference putting the correct tire size and gear ratio makes. I was still on the factory tire and 3.55 gear ratio even though I have 35" tires and 3.73. I switched that over on the tune and it seems to drive world's better.

I did notice however, my speedometer was actually faster than I really was, so I got up this morning and measured my tires that are now around 34" since they've worn down quite a bit. I went ahead and readjusted the tune so hopefully should drive better and have an accurate speedometer.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:10 AM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts

The hum and vibration is normal of MUDs.

The speedo probably was never corrected in the first place and once you put in correct info it is close to where it should be. They used to change out speedo gear depending on tire size for correction but that is all done by programmer now.

Squeaks and rattles are probably from inside cab and is dependent on temp I find. Cold days I get some squeaks from dash area but once warmed up inside cab or on warmer days none.

Suspension squeaks may be leafpack.

Quick Reply: First Lifted Truck Questions