Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First 850 mile day in the ecoboost platinum

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 12:08 PM

Received 251 Likes on 137 Posts

Default First 850 mile day in the ecoboost platinum

Drove from Central California to Utah yesterday, 850 miles, in my almost new 2013 platinum ecoboost. Very impressed with the power. 5 people and their luggage, going up very steep grades the truck never needed to shift out of 6th. Very comfortable, tons of space.

Now the bad news, the mileage is atrocious. I averaged about 16 MPG going legal speeds plus 5. Mind you the speed limit in Nevada is 75, but I was keeping up with traffic and no more. That's barely what it's rated in the city, and this was 100% freeway cruise control driving. Even on the tabletop flat Nevada salt flat desert freeway slowing down to 70 with traffic zooming by me, it wouldn't break 16.5

I put two 2,000 mile road trips on my 2010 5.4, same exact configuration otherwise and it got better mileage, even at this early stage. Mind you, way less power.

Ford did themselves a disserve in the long run buy calling it the ecoboost, Call it what it is-- ecoPOWER. Better to overpromise and underdeliver than pretend this engine is about saving gas over the V8.

Would I buy it again? heck yes. I was expecting bad mileage because I read this forum. The power is great.

Last edited by eye.surgeon; 05-23-2013 at 12:19 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:16 PM

Received 175 Likes on 107 Posts

For some reason there seems to be a variance in MPG with these engines, because I consistantly get 18-19 city and 21-22+ hwy, and thats with a tune, so you know I dont drive her easy.

BTW I see your username is eye-surgeon, so i'm assuming your an opthamologist? I to am in the industry, well sort of. Me and my father own an Optical shop in Tulsa, Ok with 7 M.D's and 4 O.D's. My father has owned it for 30 years. I've been a stock holder for 13 of them.

Gook luck with your truck. I will say my milage has gotten better the more miles I put on it. I have 2k right now.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:19 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

EPA rates these trucks with 1 driver and almost no cargo. You had 4 extra people probably amounting to around 600lbs + their luggage. You could have also been into the wind. Best fuel efficiency for our trucks is around 60; so going 75 just shredded your mileage.

I've done San Antonio to Dallas @ 23MPG but the return trip into the wind with 3 extra people and their luggage was only 17.6! I figure it's nothing to stress over since I can see why my truck was rated as it was, I just always drive it harder than the EPA does.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:24 PM
LONE STAR

Received 629 Likes on 432 Posts

Exactly. I'm averaging 23-26 mpg's. The fuel economy is great but I have a 2WD truck.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:25 PM
2013 King Ranch EB GemGrn

Received 80 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by eye.surgeon
Drove from Central California to Utah yesterday, 850 miles, in my almost new 2013 platinum ecoboost. Very impressed with the power. 5 people and their luggage, going up very steep grades the truck never needed to shift out of 6th. Very comfortable, tons of space.

Now the bad news, the mileage is atrocious. I averaged about 16 MPG going legal speeds plus 5. Mind you the speed limit in Nevada is 75, but I was keeping up with traffic and no more. That's barely what it's rated in the city, and this was 100% freeway cruise control driving. Even on the tabletop flat Nevada salt flat desert freeway slowing down to 70 with traffic zooming by me, it wouldn't break 16.5

I put two 2,000 mile road trips on my 2010 5.4, same exact configuration otherwise and it got better mileage, even at this early stage. Mind you, way less power.

Ford did themselves a disserve in the long run buy calling it the ecoboost, Call it what it is-- ecoPOWER. Better to overpromise and underdeliver than pretend this engine is about saving gas over the V8.

Would I buy it again? heck yes. I was expecting bad mileage because I read this forum. The power is great.

I've got a few problems with your post, but first I will start out by asking:

What gear ratio do you have?

The EPA rates this truck with the 3.15 gears, one passenger, bone stock, and no payload, at an average of 55 on the highway (unrealisic and not real-world...i know, but them's the breaks)

Ford didn't do themselves a disservice with the NAME of the engine, it does the work of a V8 (which you admitted yourself, almost) with 6 cylinders, and with extra power to spare. The 5.4 would never have done this with oodles of power left.

I don't get people who expect 25+ mpgs while using a truck the way it was designed. Do you want fuel efficiency, or do you want power; because you can't have both. I can get 17mpg ALL. DAY. LONG. while still pulling my 19ft bass boat. Even my HEMI before this truck couldn't keep decent fuel mileage when towing/hauling any significant weight.

Last edited by Zixxer10r; 05-23-2013 at 01:16 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:29 PM

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

I don't think EPA ratings are done at 80Mph. Your truck is a serious brickwall at that speed and you will never get great MPG going that fast. The EPA tests for MPG on a dyno and not over 55MPH for highway. EPA rated MPG is a farce and the government and auto manufacturers know it. Motorweek MPG testing is much more accurate as it is real world and is almost ALWAYS lower then the sticker (wonder why)

Do 55mph and see what MPG you get. While it may not be as good as the sticker you should be happy with it, until going 55MPH drives you nuts or gets you run off the road.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:29 PM

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Call it what it is-- ecoPOWER. Better to overpromise and underdeliver than pretend this engine is about saving gas over the V8.

+1
Old 05-23-2013, 12:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey I got 16 MPGs on a trip to Florida from KC Missouri in a 2010 5.4 crewcab w/ 3.55 rear - loaded with 2 adults, 2 teens, 1 toddler and luggage - speed limit most of the way

The same trip I got 17 MPGs, 2012 Platinum Ecoboost 3.73 gears - similar load - speeding most of the way

I figure with the 3.73 rear end, the Platinum being a little heavier, and my foot being a lot heavier. I am super happy with that. On long flat portions I would get over 23 MPGs, its the dang hills and city driving that kill my MPGs.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:41 PM
Keepin' the lights on!

Received 229 Likes on 153 Posts

I'd give your truck a little time. My mpg went up a little after I hit 20k miles. Your mpg is right in line with what I was getting when it was newer with about the same load.

In some ways I agree that this motor's name should've been something different. However, I look at it this way; it has the power of a big block V8 twice its size. We all know that a badass big block can barely get mpg into the low teens on a perfect day. So, for the power that these eco's are producing, we're doing pretty good on mpg.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:49 PM
BLOWN club

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I had my new eco screw 3 weeks and drove it 600 miles to nashville from shreveport. Running 75 the whole way with 3 total passengers plus luggage, I got 19 MPG there and just under that driving back 3 days later.

I have the same trip coming up with the newer FX4 in a couple weeks. I put a SCT tuner on this one, so I'm curious to see how it does even though it is a bit heavier than the other truck.

Quick Reply: First 850 mile day in the ecoboost platinum