Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally got some snow. Pirelli's working great!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 05:38 PM

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Finally got some snow. Pirelli's working great!

2011 SCREW EB 4X4 3.73 5.5' - Tool box with a little stuff in it for maybe 200# total in bed. Was a little worried about the P275/55 R20 in snow, but no problem. Last summer they were ok in mud and have been reasonably quiet. At 15,000 miles no noticeable wear issues. At replacement time, if the price is good, I would get them again.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We had some pretty good snow/ice in Dallas last year and the Pirelli's did a great job. I was glad to have the 4x4 for this and a rescue of a family member in rural Oklahoma that lost power.

I just installed the Nitto Terra Grapplers at 33K miles. The Pirelli's would have passed an inspection but they were getting close.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:06 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Same here!! I was worried about how the 20 inch Pirellis would do on snow and ice and I am pleased. I was able to keep it in 2WD most of the time- even did some steep snow covered hills in 2WD. I can't say that I would buy them again (I saw one price of $263 a tire) but I'm happy that I did not have to replace brand new tires on a brand new truck. I will have to see how much tread is left on these tires come next winter.

Last edited by JimFX4; 01-18-2012 at 11:35 AM.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:14 PM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

How do your nittos compare to the stock tires?
Old 01-17-2012, 07:14 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Ive had no problems thus far this winter with the stock Perellis...seem to preform good! And Tire Rack survey seams to rate them kinda high on par with other good brands. Was worried with some of the grumbling about them too! Money dont grow on trees, and would hate to replace so soon but, when the time comes got my eye on some Cooper Zeons!!!
Old 01-17-2012, 07:34 PM
ColdWar Vet-USN Shellback

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Last Thursday morning we received 1-2 inches of snow/frozen rain. I was more than suprised by the Pirellis. From all the complaints I have been reading I thought I was suppose to get stuck in my driveway and it slopes down to the street. I took the wife to work and then drove to work with no problems at all (and yes I used 4x4 most all the way...that is why I bought the option). I think all the bad news about the tires are from people that don't realize that they have 350-365 hp and over 400 foot-lbs torque at their disposal. These trucks are so powerful and getting lighter and lighter in the back they will overpower any tires with the flip of the pedal on the right, especially in snow or mud (why do you think they put traction control on them). It also takes some getting use to driving the truck in slick roads and yes I am use to driving on snow/ice (over 37 years legal driving). Will I replace these tires with same ones... NO I will not...probably Michelins because that is what all my other 1/2 ton trucks had on them.
The following users liked this post:
ChuckFourByFour (01-01-2013)
Old 01-17-2012, 07:48 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RedOne
Last Thursday morning we received 1-2 inches of snow/frozen rain. I was more than suprised by the Pirellis. From all the complaints I have been reading I thought I was suppose to get stuck in my driveway and it slopes down to the street. I took the wife to work and then drove to work with no problems at all (and yes I used 4x4 most all the way...that is why I bought the option). I think all the bad news about the tires are from people that don't realize that they have 350-365 hp and over 400 foot-lbs torque at their disposal. These trucks are so powerful and getting lighter and lighter in the back they will overpower any tires with the flip of the pedal on the right, especially in snow or mud (why do you think they put traction control on them). It also takes some getting use to driving the truck in slick roads and yes I am use to driving on snow/ice (over 37 years legal driving). Will I replace these tires with same ones... NO I will not...probably Michelins because that is what all my other 1/2 ton trucks had on them.
Agree totally!!
Old 01-17-2012, 10:06 PM

Agree
Old 01-18-2012, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Fast Filly
How do your nittos compare to the stock tires?
I haven't had a chance to use them in any bad weather. I was surprised that they are more quiet. I went with the same size as stock 275/55/20 which are the P series. The ride is pretty firm running them at 35 psi that the Nitto tech recommended.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:55 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I heard so many bad things about the Pirellis that I bought dedicated winters, maybe I should've waited? Wasn't there a guy who crashed his truck a month ago running these tires in the winter?

Quick Reply: Finally got some snow. Pirelli's working great!