Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally found a good dead pedal solution!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 02:34 PM

Received 163 Likes on 73 Posts

Default Finally found a good dead pedal solution!

DISCLAIMER: I do not work for or have any financial interest in Wicked Performance or their products. I hope I am not in violation of any Terms of Use here, I just like testing new stuff and wanted to share my results and experiences with this product for the benefit of other F-150 enthusiasts. Perhaps Wicked Performance will consider becoming a supporting vendor one day.

I have seen the lack of a dead pedal listed as a major complaint on this forum time and again, and couldn't believe nobody made one for the F-150 (considering it's the most popular vehicle on the road today). After an exhaustive search of "universal" dead pedals (yuck), I am happy to report that I have finally discovered a good solution custom-tailored to our application. Being a 6.2L owner, I frequent the Raptor forums and came across Wicked Performance's dead pedal kit. They have apparently adapted a Ferrari racing kit for the SVT Raptor. If it fits a Raptor, it should fit all other of the other current F-150 models too!

Here are some pictures of the dead pedal (they come in black or silver, or custom colors, and you can buy an entire matching pedal kit to replace your rubber pedal pads):

The kit includes instructions on how to trim your all-weather rubber floormats around the base of the dead pedal:

Name:  deadpedsl.jpg
Views: 3979
Size:  96.6 KB

I decided to give their dead pedal kit a try, and after 2000 miles, I'm pleased to report that this is a quality product for those of you looking for a REAL dead pedal (and are not interested in the $1.99 salvage yard Mustang dead pedals). Note, I did not purchase an entire pedal kit (this is a better value, but I didn't need all that bling).

PROS:

• Excellent craftsmanship and construction
  • Responsive customer service (they even modified the design slightly based on one of my recommendations)
  • Huge resting place for your foot
  • Does not interfere with parking brake operation or limit parking brake pedal range of motion
  • Good grip (whether wearing sneakers, boots, flip flops... have not tried heels or stiletto's LOL)
  • Looks great (my opinion)
  • Reasonable price for custom fab gear
  • MADE IN AMERICA!

CONS:

• Support bracket mounting flange angles could be tweaked a little more for a perfect fit (maybe every truck firewall is a little different due to production tolerances?), but you can bend the flanges yourself after trial and error (or just tighten the sucker down--the bracket will 'deform' into the proper shape as you tighten all the bolts)
  • 1 of the 3 self-tapping screws is not quite long enough to get any 'meat' when tightening the dead pedal against the raised ridge in the floor (this is because the ridge terminates between the first and 2nd screw positions). I only have 2 screws securely fastened (the middle and right-most or inboard screw), and it's plenty rigid. (Yes, Wicked Performance carefully measured the screw length to make sure it doesn't completely go through both layers of metal in the floor sandwich)
  • Not everyone will like the large surface area (and some Raptor owners have cut their dead pedals in half!)
  • While the dead pedal is very strong (easily supports my body weight under strong braking, etc.), it does budge a tiny bit side to side (mostly at the top, as that is not secured to the floor). I think this is a limitation of the single mounting bracket (everything kind of shifts like a parallelogram). The pedal resists force directly perpendicular to the face just fine, but if you angle your force to the corners, you will feel the pedal move like 1mm to either side. This is not really a functional problem, but doesn't give you the confidence of say a factory dead pedal that is part of the interior structure (vs. an add-on accessory). I will say that Ford's floor metal and firewall is very thin too, and as the saying goes, a chain is only going to be as strong as the weakest link. The flex in the sheetmetal (not Wicked's product) could be responsible for the minor movement I feel underfoot.

CONCLUSION:

Despite some minor shortcomings, I fully endorse and recommend Wicked Performance's dead pedal kit to anyone looking for a place to securely rest their foot in the F-150.

I did not like the suggested method for trimming my all-weather floormat, so I cut mine the opposite direction so the mat would overlay part of the dead pedal. This has the added benefit of looking more understated and OEM-ish (casual observers won't really see the dead pedal unless they bend down to look).

Last edited by BMWBig6; 06-25-2012 at 02:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Jaws285 (04-14-2019)
Old 06-25-2012, 02:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

holy *** thats huge
Old 06-25-2012, 02:57 PM
I am Batman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to each his own but that thing is fugly
Old 06-25-2012, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by racinwarrior
holy *** thats huge
They didn't want to risk anyone catching or wedging their foot behind the dead pedal and brake pedal in an emergency. In practice, the wide platform is pretty nice.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Canadian Boyz
to each his own but that thing is fugly
Hehe, you should see some of the other "upgrades" Raptor owners like to install. They are definitely a different breed...
Old 06-25-2012, 03:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

might as well stack a couple bricks back there
Old 06-25-2012, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

X2 Fugly
Old 06-25-2012, 06:40 PM
Ford Freak

Received 171 Likes on 106 Posts

No use for it, I put my left foot on the floor.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:32 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Doubles as a baking sheet when not in use
Old 06-25-2012, 07:35 PM

Received 277 Likes on 193 Posts

Does the parking brake still function?
Looks like it right behind it!

Quick Reply: Finally found a good dead pedal solution!