Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Falken Wildpeak ATW3 117T XL RBL

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 05:26 PM

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts

Default Falken Wildpeak ATW3 117T XL RBL

edit 2/20/19: Followed up with Discount Tire corporate, they had regional manager call me and then the store manager. Everyone professional and courteous and they are going to replace my wheels with either factory or aftermarket, said to let them know what I would like to do. Guy I originally dealt with below was not the store manager, sales guy filling in at the time. They will re-write the receipt and honor the warranty on the tires as well. Disappointing it happened but they are standing behind it now and doing everything they can to make it right.

Went to Discount Tire today and had the new tires put on. My Pirelli Scorpian ATR's had 42k miles on them and had about 5/32 tread left (edges were about gone) and in the last snow and rain they mimicked roller skates, I had enough before I wrecked the truck. Went with the Falken Wildpeak AT3 from all the positive reviews on here and other truck sites.

They hung the first wheel on the truck and I could see the scratches on the wheel as I walked up to look at the new tires. They put scratches in all 4 wheels. I have been going to discount for 25 years and rarely any issues, today was not my lucky day. The manager took pictures and he was not pleasant to deal with. I had not raised my voice nor let emotion take over as I dealt with this. He told me he would submit a claim to corp and I would have to deal with them it wasn't their problem to solve. I drove 60 miles to this store, not in my backyard. He told me most likely they would refinish the wheels. Their adjuster would decide the course of action, I was starting to get really aggravated thinking of driving back and fourth somewhere to let god knows what quality refinish be put on my rims. When he asked to pay the bill I said no, I would pay when the damage was settled, followed by his I can't let you take the car. This is what you call going from bad to worse.

He then offered to let the tires go no charge and we are done. I figured $160 per wheel to refinish approximately and said fine, give me the tires and call it a bad day. He then printed on the receipt they would not warranty the tires because I didn't pay for them. This is how Discount runs their stores now days, buyer beware. I was not amused. I didn't sign one piece of paper the whole time I was there.

Then leaving I had a low pressure light on the dash. I pulled over cycled power and it was still lit. Luckily once I started driving it cleared. The manager wouldn't even really talk to me, like I was the one in the wrong. If machines were set up correctly they shouldn't even be touching the face of the rim. I guess I will not be returning to this location. When a customer's car comes in during the middle of winter and the wheel barrels are cleaner than the outside of the wheel you should be taking care not to scratch wheels.

Driving home down the highway they seem to handle nicely. They do have a little howl to them but nothing crazy and to be expected with all terrain tread. I hope I have a good run with the tire as I will not be able to get service from the store that installed them, he made sure to put plenty of notes in the computer. This was not a pleasant experience.

Attached Thumbnails Falken Wildpeak ATW3 117T XL RBL-img_7947.jpg  

Last edited by Red89gt; 02-20-2019 at 04:34 PM.
Old 02-15-2019, 05:37 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

That is a shame. You can prob find decent take offs on Craigslist or eBay for nowhere near OEM prices & likely less the cost of the rubber.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:01 PM

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Piney68
That is a shame. You can prob find decent take offs on Craigslist or eBay for nowhere near OEM prices & likely less the cost of the rubber.
Bingo, yep. Just disappointed it happened, tires are on, tomorrow is a new day.

Quick Reply: Falken Wildpeak ATW3 117T XL RBL