Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory Tailgate Lock -- enough security?

Old 04-10-2016, 01:10 AM

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Factory Tailgate Lock -- enough security?

Greetings, has the factory tailgate lock been proven to be a sufficient anti-theft deterrent under common suburban circumstances? If not, what's a good way to boost retention?

I'm a new F150 owner. I just picked up a new-to-me 2014 XLT Ecobeast with 30k on the clock. I'm coming off of 13 years of my beloved Expy XLT 4.6L 4x4 to which I've done many, many mods documented here and on expeditionforums.com . This will be the first of many questions about my F150. I hope I eventually learn enough to contribute, too.

Thanks
Old 04-10-2016, 05:59 AM

Received 136 Likes on 105 Posts

It's sufficient. By no means is it a fort Knox but it will keep the tailgate thieves at bay and it will also keep somebody from doing a quick ****** of your stuff if you have a locking cover or topper. If somebody really wants in though they can do it. Where there's a will there's a way.
Old 04-10-2016, 06:45 AM
4Runner Driver

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

A flat-blade screwdriver defeats the lock on the handle. Get extra protection. Jimmi Jammers makes a bracket to discourage tailgate thieves, and McGuard and Master make locks that do so as well.

Ford mounted the tailgate and door lock cylinders in ABS plastic. Someone strong with a flat-blade screwdriver can spin the cylinder within its housing to unlock it, or anyone with said screwdriver and a hammer can knock the cylinder into the door and then pop the actuator rod up.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:34 AM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

The handle lock is usually enough to deter most as they can more easily get one that isn't locked, but if they want it bad enough, they'll get it.

I also took the time to buy and install this as well. This will make it that much more difficult if they do get the tailgate open or if I forget to lock it.

Amazon.com: Master Lock 8253DAT Stainless Steel Tailgate Lock for Pickup Trucks: Automotive Amazon.com: Master Lock 8253DAT Stainless Steel Tailgate Lock for Pickup Trucks: Automotive
Old 04-11-2016, 10:06 AM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

Most thieves don't want too big of a challenge. They want to grab it and run. I think the lock alone would turn most people away.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:25 AM
Super Duper Senior Member

Received 346 Likes on 281 Posts

It's going to depend on the thief. We had a series of vehicle break ins in my condo complex that strung out over several months. Always on Friday or Saturday nights. Always between 3 am and 5 am. They went around and looked for vehicles that were unlocked.

Cops said that's what most car thieves will do. Look for the easy targets. It's too risky for them to make too much noise and risk waking people up. They stopped coming around when they woke me and my neighbor up trying to get into our vehicles. My alarm went off. We both came out of our house's armed.

The key, is to not make your house or vehicle impenetrable. A determined thief will get what they want no matter what you do. But those determined thieves are only 5-10% of all thieves. The key is to make your place and vehicle not worth the risk, when there are so many other easy targets out there. The locks on our tailgates, will stop 90% or more of all people trying to do this.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:54 AM

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Tothemax
Most thieves don't want too big of a challenge. They want to grab it and run. I think the lock alone would turn most people away.
You speaking from experience lol jk
Old 04-11-2016, 12:53 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

Added security a simple hose clamp around the passenger side hinge Wall Mart sells one with a removable key for under a dollar.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:17 PM

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

Back in to your parking areas. Back up to a wall and no space to open the gate to even try.

sucks if you park on the street
Old 04-11-2016, 03:32 PM

Received 669 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by diegoo.jayjay
Back in to your parking areas. Back up to a wall and no space to open the gate to even try.

sucks if you park on the street
This ^^ but even if they can't open the tailgate they may be able to pry open whatever cover you have on the bed.

Nothing is secure anymore.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Factory Tailgate Lock -- enough security?